HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Most of you guys know the story but here's the details with video evidence.....

First off––-this is a used gun. Upon receiving it, I inspected it (all pins in the right place, ect...) followed by a proper cleaning and lubrication.

I was out at the range and put about 5 magazines through the gun when the firing pin broke. Yup, broke––-in half.

I didn't realize it at first and thought I had somehow hit the slide lock since I knew there were still rounds in the magazine and the slide had 'locked' to the rear. Only it hadn't locked. I could still pull it to the rear slightly. Upon further inspection I saw the firing pin block sticking out of the slide and it appeared the firing pin was missing (it was actually broken as mentioned earlier).

Here's a photo of the firing pin:

Here's the video of it happening and a close up of all the internals of the slide (including the firing pin):

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Has some years on her and i am sure some millage as well. Parts break with usage and time. Replace and get back to the range! You have a great pistol. Enjoy bud :)

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
That's really bad juju. You need to get rid of that piece of crap gun before it falls apart. I'll give ya $350 cash right now, as-is, just so you won't have to look at her anymore. The sooner I take her off your hands, the better off you'll be. . .

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
A broke firing is not a 'catastophic failure', its a simple part breakage, and easily repaired for a small amount of money. The pistol does not look like its had many rounds, knowing that the USP is capable of going into ultra high round counts ... I'll up the offer to $400 to take that beat up old thing off your hands ... PM me if we have a deal.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The CZ-75B has or had a problem breaking them...me i shot some CZ's for many yrs with no problem. This is just a broke part and some keep a spare on hand since they do break at time's. I would get in on the bidding but not against my friend's ;) ...if i had the part i would give it to you..

·
Registered
402 Posts
Date code please - that would help anybody truly concerned with why this happened.

I think a lot of people would disagree with catastrophic as broken firing pins do happen; the gun is repairable. My own definition of catastrophic means the gun is too damaged to repair. That's me though. I'm also inclined to think the use of 'catastrophic' was meant on purpose simply because it's an H&K and not a glock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's like saying my car had a catostrophic failer cause the brakes need changing
I've been getting this comment a good bit and I totally see the point but if your brake fluid all leaked out and you couldn't stop you'd probably think it was catastrophic yet a parts replacement would remedy it. If a gun fails and it requires a punch, hammer, and a new part I consider that to be pretty catastrophic but, again, I see how others would differ on the terminology.

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
Roughly how many rounds did it have at the time the pin failed?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
It looks to me like the FPBS is deformed which mean the FPB was installed incorrectly.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,806 Posts
Oh please...
"A catastrophic failure is a sudden and total failure of some system from which recovery is impossible. Catastrophic failures often lead to cascading systems failure. The term is most commonly used for structural failures, but has often been extended to many other disciplines where total and irrecoverable loss occurs. Such failures are investigated using the methods of forensic engineering, which aims to isolate the cause or causes of failure."

This was a mechanical failure or a user error that caused a *stoppage*. If it cannot be repaired, then it is catastrophic. But that is not the case. Rather, the superior design of the HK PREVENTED a catastrophic failure in the presence of mechanical failure due to wear or improper assembly.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I for one appreciate the video. Things can go wrong and it's good that it is on video in the event something like this would ever happen to me. Anytime something breaks it can be an education for the end user. As far as using the word "catastrophic", I'm OK with that. If the issue can't be fixed in the heat of a gun fight then that sure as hell would be catastrophic to me or the loved ones I was trying to protect. All depends on how you want to define the word and the situation you find yourself in. At the range having fun- then likely not catastrophic. Using it in self defense and this happend- catastrophic. Most folks likely think of a kaboom as a real catastophic failure. I think the sensitivity on the forum comes whenever someone marries the words 'catastrophic' and 'HK' in the same sentence.

·
11,806 Posts
The sensitivity comes from desiring a precise use of words and terms. A stoppage, whether caused by a worn part or improper maintenance, is not a catastrophic failure, no matter the "end result" at hand. There are precise maintenance requirements that were either ignored (not noticing worn parts via inspection) or failure in proper reassembly. None of these resulted in a failure that rendered the weapon permanently inoperable.

I would say the same thing whether it was an HK, a Glock, a SIG, a Ruger... Words mean things. Invoking the term "catastrophic failure" implies blame for a failure of the weapon that is permanent. There was no permanent failure of the weapon. There was very likely a failure on the part of the(a) user.

·
11,806 Posts
So, in other words, he's a troll?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts