HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HK Customer Service,

Could you please tell me if it is normal for the hammer to be losing it's finish in this
manner? This is an AI date proofed USP Compact in 9mm.

This was purchased brand new a couple of years ago, and I've recently noticed the black finish
slowly coming off, leaving a sort of copper colored patina, which I assume is the bare metal.

I noticed a seam on the front of the hammer as well, along with some other marks on it, which can be
seen in the photos. Am I correct in assuming it's just from the manufacturing process
itself?

Will any of this compromise the integrity and function of the hammer piece itself in any
way, or is it purely cosmetic?

Please advise.

Thank you kindly.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Purely cosmetic !

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No worries. None of the other USP's I have, have done such. So long as it's cosmetic, no matter.

I'm aware of the slide release/catch levers and extractors doing such, from the finish not adhering to the hardened metal, but it's always been more of a mottled look, rather than a complete stripping away of the finish.

HK CS replied via email and said it was normal as well.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
No worries. None of the other USP's I have, have done such. So long as it's cosmetic, no matter.

I'm aware of the slide release/catch levers and extractors doing such, from the finish not adhering to the hardened metal, but it's always been more of a mottled look, rather than a complete stripping away of the finish.

HK CS replied via email and said it was normal as well.
Cool. The first of mine to do it was a USPc and after use, all of them look similar to yours. Take a Q-tip and clean the hammer and you'll see a lot of black residue. The residue is not carbon, it's the oxide finish applied to the hammer.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Mine do not look any thing like that....

While, it's probably only cosmetic, that looks excessive... how are the other parts in the gun doing ?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The extractor and slide release/catch have only the slightest amount of mottling.

It's got a fairly low round count at this point. I've just never personally seen it to this extent, even on USP/c's that have thousands of rounds through them.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I agree with the above, totally normal!

The seam is from the MIM process used to create the hammer, it's also normal.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
So it's "totally normal" to have the finish flake off a polymer gun that costs more than any of it's competitors?
HK doesn't make guns for the purpose of being "pretty". Nor does it price them expecting it.

If you assigned them value based largely on the aesthetics, then that is your fault. Conveniently, there are several "pretty" guns out there that are cheaper, if that is your desire.

These are expensive because they are low volume, (relatively) complex, tight-tolerance-in-machining firearms.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a USPc doing the same thing. You can always buy a new hammer if you don't like the look, but like as others have said it's just a cosmetic thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts