HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got a USP 45 CT, my second HK pistol (P30L in 9mm was the first). I was a bit surprised to find that this has the o-ring barrel but no match trigger (should've done a bit more research). I shot my bro in law's full size 45 tactical a few days ago and the match trigger was AWESOME. So my question is, what can I do to the CT to get close to the match trigger pull?

According to HK parts, the USP match trigger kit will install in a compact minus the trigger, which will require modification. It also says that you can install all the other parts and use the stock trigger - will this be pretty close to (or the same as) a match trigger? Anyone try this on their compact?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Many on here have done this. The best way is to install the match trigger group without the actual trigger, then you remove the overtravel stop screw form the larger trigger in the kit, and you drill and tap a hole for it in the USP Compact trigger. Then it will be the exact same trigger as in the fullsize.

One thing though: Sometimes a match trigger group install requires a little more than merely dropping in the parts (if you want it to perform to its potential). . . so just don't be too upset if after you install it, you feel that it is not quite as good as you expected. If it turns out not to be as good as you expected, then you can send out your frame to HK be tweaked at that point.

Another viable option is to call Bruce Gray (AWESOME guy, great pistol-smith, previously an HK employee and Team HK shooter). If I were thinking about installing the match trigger group in my USP, I would call Bruce and talk to him first. He is very friendly, motivated to help, and does not try to sell you on anything. The amount of money you will spend on the match trigger kit is not exactly cheap, and Bruce does top-notch HK trigger work (not cheap either). He can discuss all the pros and cons with you, and definitely get you pointed in the direction you want to go. He used to shoot highly modified USPs in competition, and he knows the platform's potential inside out. STRONGLY RECOMMENDED. Here's a link to his site and contact info: Grayguns by Bruce Gray

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but I had a pertinent question. About drilling and tapping the USP Compact trigger (I, too, have a USPct like the OP), this is what Bill Springfield had to say:

I do have an FFL, had it for over a year. The match trigger for $35 extra installed is for USP full sized, have not tried it on a HK-45 yet. I can also drill/tap your current trigger and install a HK USP trigger set screw on most models for $19. USP compacts really do not like the set screw, there is not enough room for proper trigger travel.

Thanks,
Bill
Has anybody else been able to do this successfully? Pics?

·
Registered
137 Posts
i did this on all my USPs using a 3mm drill bit. I tried to put the full size match trigger in but after trimming some off the tip to let it pivot it would not fire even with the screw all the way in.

·
Registered
974 Posts
The compact generally has VERY little overtravel as it is, which is why the set screw isn't of much benefit. The rest of the match trigger components work well.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I did this recently. I drilled and tapped a spare compact trigger but there is almost no overtravel in the compact once you install the match parts. The screw needs to be screwed in almost all the way which causes it to protrude from the front of the trigger. So I dremeled the overtravel screw shorter then used loctite and installed it into the drilled compact trigger. But in general the overtravel stop is not necessary when installing the match trigger in the compact.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts