HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience shooting both of these models. As far as accuracy how much are you giving up with shortened sight radius and barrel on the Compact.

If you have shot both any other comparisons I shoud be aware of. How about P2000? I guess since I am new to HK and a die hard 19911 guy the safety or lack of safety thing is hard to get used to.

Are follow on shots controllable in 40 SW in the Compact? Which is the best DA/sa trigger or is there only one, reset being a big issue.

Thanks Adam

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well given that all my experience with 9mm compacts and p2000 were rentals at a range, I much prefer the p2000 to the compact.

For some reason, I don't like the feeling of my pinky finger hanging out there all by its lonesome, and the fact that the P2000's grip fit my hand better was a big plus for my accuracy. On top of that, I shot the v.2 P2000 with a lightened LEM trigger, which was just a delight to pull. The P2000 in 9mm felt less snappy than the compact in 9mm, but I don't know how either performs with .40. Although, the USP full in .40 felt more manageable than the compact in 9mm, but that could be my inexperience talking.

But personally, the P2000 is very high on my buy list right now.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you can handle a commander-sized 1911 the .40 S&W compact won't bother you at all.

Full-size and compact USPs are inherently capable of greater accuracy than most shooters are capable of achieving from unsupported positions.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Love my compact, in fact shoot it better than my full size 40. Very controllable follow-ups, it takes some dry fire practice to become accustomed to the heavier than normal DA, probably a lot of getting used to transitioning from 1911 to a DA/SA system like on the HK. I think the recoil is a tad bit more, but the recoil spring set up helps to keep to a minimum say when you compare it to any size Glock in 40. The only weapons that recoil mild in the 40, IMO, are those on the heavy end of the spectrum like the S&W 4006, or SIG 226 with a stainless slide, or in all stainless.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I own a .40 Compact and recently fired 100 rounds through a full-sized USP .40 in a back-to-back comparison. Both were Variant 1's (DA/SA with a safety and decocker). I rarely shoot in DA unless I'm going for a second strike on a bad primer.

Honestly, I was a little bummed that I shot the USPf better than my own compact. At 7 yards, my groups were slightly tighter with the USPf (2.0 inches versus 2.5 inches, offhand), but at 15 yards the difference was very noticable.

The USPf has a roomier grip than the Compact, and is more comfortable in my large hands. With my thumbs-forward grip, I occasionally ride the slide release on my compact, which causes the slide to not lock back after the last round. I didn't have this problem as much with the USPf. As for recoil, I didn't notice any difference between the two.

I've fired around 100 rounds through borrowed 1911's (two S&W's, a Kimber and a Colt). For me, the transition between my USP and a 1911 is seamless. All of the 1911's had better triggers, but I shot similar groups at 7 yards as with my own gun. I didn't notice a significant difference in the speed of follow-up shots between the two platforms, but my reflexes are pretty good with the USPc after 5K rounds of practice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has anyone had experience shooting both of these models. As far as accuracy how much are you giving up with shortened sight radius and barrel on the Compact.

If you have shot both any other comparisons I shoud be aware of. How about P2000? I guess since I am new to HK and a die hard 19911 guy the safety or lack of safety thing is hard to get used to.

Are follow on shots controllable in 40 SW in the Compact? Which is the best DA/sa trigger or is there only one, reset being a big issue.

Thanks Adam

Hello fellow Houstonian. I owned a full sized usp, sold it and went pretty much all for compacts. I personally feel as though they shoot the same, but with practice you can beome more accurate and familiar with the gun you choose. For me, it came down to wanting to carry concealed and I feelit is easier with the compacts. My favorite caliber is the 40. Most describe it as "snappy" .......and you can make controlled follow up shots....just practice. Here in Houston, you've got plenty of range choices for that.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I shot both full size and compact today and both were more accurate than me. I liked the feel of the compact better, but my buddy liked the full size better. In short, if you want to know which one is better, then go rent both and try them out one after the other... or better yet, double fisted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts