HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I dropped by the local pawn shop, to set up an FFL of another Sig P228 (it's an addiction... I swear, can kick the Sigs anytime I want...). They had a fullsize USP9 in stock, AF date code, with light LEM, night sights, and a Jet Funnel kit with 2 mags, asking $750. The owner said it was a "competition" model, but it didn't have a match trigger (at least, not a trigger with an external overtravel stop). I don't know of any "competition" model, though I've heard of "match" and "elite" models -- it didn't look like an Elite, though, just a normal USP with a Jet Funnel.

What do you guys think? Is he blowing smoke up my ass? Is this a reasonable price?

Honestly, I've never really had much interest in fullsize USPs until about right now... suddenly, I kinda want one. Dammit.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Doesn't sound like it.

The Combat Competition has Novak FO sights, not night sights. In addition, it has the external overtravel screw.

·
Registered
18,643 Posts
In around 2007, HK released 2 versions of Combat Competitions: one with a V1 trigger, without LEM, Match, or Match + LEM Hybrid trigger. The other has Match + LEM Hybrid trigger. The following year, to eliminate the confusion, they renamed the first version Custom Combat and the second, Combat Competition (with Match + LEM Hybrid trigger). They both have Novak fiber-optic sights (not Tru-Dot night sights).

A Custom Combat will have a DA/SA trigger, safety lever, and no Match trigger or LEM.
A Combat Competition will have a Match + LEM Hybrid Trigger and no safety.

Someone here mentioned that, after AI (2008) date code or so, HK severed the relationship with Novak, discontinued their fiber optic sights, and replaced them with night sights. However, I have an AK date code Combat Competition that was purchased NIB late last year and it has Novak sights. This is probably one of the remaining Competitions with Novak sights.

The fact that it has AF date code, with LEM but no Match Trigger, night sights (but not Novak) tells me that it is NOT a true Custom Combat or Combat Competition. It is probably a clone or souped-up USP9 with Jet Funnel mags.

Another way to verify is to look at the SKU or if you have the serial number, call HK CS and they will verify.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fact that it has AF date code, with LEM but no Match Trigger, night sights (but not Novak) tells me that it is NOT a true Custom Combat or Combat Competition. It is probably a clone or souped-up USP9 with Jet Funnel mags.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, after doing some more research.

Now, my memory is hazy, but didn't a number of USP LEO trade ins with Jet Funnel kits hit the market a few years back? I seem to remember seeing a few of them for sale at good prices ($550-$650).

·
Registered
18,643 Posts
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, after doing some more research.

Now, my memory is hazy, but didn't a number of USP LEO trade ins with Jet Funnel kits hit the market a few years back? I seem to remember seeing a few of them for sale at good prices ($550-$650).
That could be one of those LEO models, too. But definitely not a Competition. :wink:

ETA: It's probably similar to this one in WTS forum.
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-pistols-sale/157392-wts-wtt-usp9-lem-jet-funnel-utl-mags.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Put my money on LEO model. Every one I have seen has been AF date coded and comes with LEM trigger, Jet Funnel with two mags, and UTL light.

Look for an electro penciled number on the bottom of the trigger guard.

I have one and really like it. Although I converted it to V1 with ambi controls.

Sounds like the dealer is representing it as something it is not. Go Figure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts