HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a USP Expert in 9mm. I have taken it to the range twice, and put about 250 rounds down the pipe. I'm not going to say I have been disappointed, but its not as amazing as i would have hoped. Hopefully someone has some input to help me get the most out of this gun. I have two major concerns. First, I thought the black-on-black sights wouldnt bother me, but they are such a pain in the ass. I really want to change the front sight out for Fiber Optic or something. What size of front post do i use? Supressor height? regular height? Or from a different company? Second, I have noticed the brass extraction is really weak. The brass basically dribbles out of the gun. I have had a few cases even land on my wrist or fly directly over my head. I hate this. Of all the HKs i've owned(3) this has never happened and for a 1200$ gun i expected better. Do i need to replace a spring or an extractor? Im no gunsmith so i really have no idea what needs to happen to fix this.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Try a .285" tall X .100" wide Dawson FO sight on the front. I leave the rear sight stock. Try shooting some 9mm that has some velocity to it and hold just like you would any semi-automatic pistol , firm. I shoot some strong German 124gr in mine all the time anyway . You have a nice HK pistol . :wink:

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
If the ammo you are using is weak, there will not be enough energy to cycle the slide with enough velocity to fling the brass. When I load light .45acp for suppressed fire, the brass dribbles over my wrist. Also, if the grip is not firm enough to much energy gets absorbed by the hands/wrists/arms. The sights take so getting used to. My bro-in-law is a sponsored pro shooter. He prefers the all black sights because he focuses on not on the sights, but on the light between the sights. He says it is actually faster this way. I prefer three dots though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have to look into the Dawson sights. I don't believe i am limp wristing the gun, but I do shoot cheap 115 grain range ammo; and with the same ammo my CZ and glock pistols fling the brass 5 yrds into a nice pile. Thats why i thought an extrator problem or a weak extractor spring.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
I'll have to look into the Dawson sights. I don't believe i am limp wristing the gun, but I do shoot cheap 115 grain range ammo; and with the same ammo my CZ and glock pistols fling the brass 5 yrds into a nice pile. Thats why i thought an extrator problem or a weak extractor spring.
USP is combat pistol thats designed for NATO and +P ammo.
Since the Expert has an even longer slide with more mass, its going to run better with hotter ammo than what youre feeding it.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Congrats on a great gun. The black sights are not the best but I've gotten used to them I shoot my expert in uspsa matches and find it's my most accurate gun, either despite or because of the sights. I've never had ejection issues with any Ammo. As others have said, maybe try hotter ammo and see. You may have a weak spring but if so it's an easy fix. Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Dawson makes great sights. I had a set on my VP9. I run a set of Hackathorn sights on a Glock 19, and I really dig the blacked out rear, with the orange/tritium front sight. Great combo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that makes sense. after shooting it tonight i could almost feel the slide having a hard time pulling back from the o-ring engagement. Ill try some 124 nato and see if that helps. thanks man

·
Registered
216 Posts
There are plenty of videos on Youtube for checking extractor tension. Most are for a 1911. The adjustment for your USP will be different, but at least you can see how to test it, to see of the tension is in the ballpark.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Advanced search is your friend here. Many threads on both subjects. Run hot 124 thru it to break it in. Get the fiber optic front sight from Dawson Precision. Leave back sight stock black. .285 tall front sight, $40 from Dawson. Enjoy your Expert, it's a great pistol

·
Registered
226 Posts
All black sights are the way to go with maximum precision. Shoot it more (and with enough ambient light) and will be just as quick with them.
And as long as it ejects the weak ammo, you are fine there too.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I will echo many of the great comments listed thus far. The HK USP Expert is indeed a superb pistol, possibly second only to a USP Match 9mm (or perhaps an USP Elite 9mm) as the most accurate 9mm pistol ever made by H&K. Highest congratulations to a justifiably proud owner.

Sights - Dawson Precision can make a front sight of either Tritium or fiber optic for this weapon of any height requested, including factory H&K original. Also note that Tooltech Gunsight and Amerigun USA can drill the existing USP Expert front sight to install a tritium night sight, which would likely help tremendously. My own preference in shooting is for some sort of all-black rear and a Trijicon tritium front.

One very useful tip not mentioned yet would be to send just the barrel to Robar for plating in their NP3 Plus self-lubricating finish. https://robarguns.com/custom-weapons/
This will indeed improve weapon cycling in terms of speed and smoothness of action, and I know this from experience with them having done many of my own HK USP barrels.

Best of luck with a fine weapon, and congratulations again!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts