HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks!

In a few days i'll be picking up my new USP Expert (date code BG).

While researching this pistol, I was looking into some upgrades to make its use and operation a little easier or more intuitive.

Certainly thinking of putting the extended mag release in there, and was also looking at some 3dot sights for quicker acquisition.

I had a look at the old reliable, HKparts.net and found the Meprolight three dots. According to HKparts' listing, these only work on 'old' model USPs.
Not exactly sure what designates an old model from new, I sent an email to HKpart's custy service team to find out. They couldn't give me a specific answer, and indeed the only answer I got was 'the sights at the very least' are the only difference and since they didnt have both examples (of old and new) they didn't really know what the differences were if anything other than the sights.

So I went to directly to the horse's mouth and sent another email to HK-USA's custy service team. Their answer was a little more succinct and definitive.
'There is no difference'.

I guess they dont compromise on clarity either.

So who am I to believe? Do any of you guys know whats up with the 'old' model and 'new' model?
Does anyone have any experience with old and new experts? ever tried putting the mepro's on a newer example?
Why bother changing anything on a package that blows everything else out the water?

Anyway, I tried searching through the forums and couldn't find a definitive answer from here either.

Hope this helps anyone asking the same questions I am...

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
The sights are identical with the only difference is that the drift screw is located on the right for newer models. The Meprolight adjustable night sights will fit the Expert just fine. I have installed at least 10 Meprolight sets on these Experts.

If you plan to swap the sights yourself, take extra precaution as the rear sight is recessed in the slide and a couple of parts in the slide must be removed prior to removing the rear sight itself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I thought the "old model" vs "new model" difference was something in the hammer. There is a page about it in the book that comes with the gun.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
That's not new, either. It's the new-style catch that was introduced in 2005 and has been in production on newer guns ever since. What would be interesting to see is whether the included bobbed Expert hammer is the old-style or new-style.

Can you post a pic of the right side of the bobbed Expert hammer?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
My USPT45 dropped mags during live fire with the HK45C extended mag release.
I'd pass on that :wink:

As for sights?
The Expert and Elite guns, old and new, have lowered rear sights.
Be advised and careful when changing them out.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
If you plan to swap the sights yourself, take extra precaution as the rear sight is recessed in the slide and a couple of parts in the slide must be removed prior to removing the rear sight itself.
Which parts exactly? Also can one change out Expert/Tactical style adj. sights with the MGM pusher?

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
^^ The FPBS is exposed underneath the rear sight so when you remove or install the rear sight, that has to be removed first. That means the FPB, FP, and roll-pin will have to come out as well.

The standard MGM sight pusher will not work but the MGM Sight Pro will, with the USP shoe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Noob USP owner here....I also found one of those extra hammers and plate in the box today when I picked up my new Expert .45 .

What is the purpose of those parts anyway? Does swapping the hammer affect the pistol's performance at all?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Noob USP owner here....I also found one of those extra hammers and plate in the box today when I picked up my new Expert .45 .

What is the purpose of those parts anyway? Does swapping the hammer affect the pistol's performance at all?
The bobbed hammer was included to make the pistol shorter in overall length to comply with the rules of action pistol sports such as IPSC.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok folks, an update to the sight question.

The Mepro light sights do indeed fit on the pistol without issue. there is no dimensional difference between 'New' and 'old' model.

The sights are however too tall to fit in the sight pusher I have from when I installed big dots on my HK45. A wee hammer and appropriate punches were used instead.
Following suggestions, I removed the firing pin block and firing pin before proceeding. Ultimately, the whole process was as smooth as hammering on a $1200 pistol could be.

The mag release was super simple by comparison, and I had noted that the rearward travel of the inside tab was not as great as the original piece, so I pulled it back out and gave it a close examination. Turns out there's a little polymer lip at the bottom of the HK45c's mag release that limited the rearward travel of the whole thing, so with a needle file, I adjusted this dimension a tiny little bit until the original amount of travel was achieved. The mag release is no longer barred from moving by the trigger guard, and retention should be 100%. I also stippled the surface of the release to make it real tacky, my thumb no longer slips off.

I also got the magazine floor plates with the little lip at the bottom which I find quite nice for the pinky knuckle of my support hand. a little extra torque right there helps me stabilize the pistol and should help control the recoil.

I need to shoot it again now..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts