HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone prefer the compact over the full-size?
I thought I wanted a full-size but the compact 40 is only -1 round and 9mm -2.
Probably the biggest plus is the compact can use P30/vp9 mags

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
My full size 9 with march trigger, Dawson sights and jet funnel is probably my favorite gun. And I have many guns. I love my usp compact and I'll never get rid of either. But I could have 10 full size 9mm usp's! If I was going to carry it then the compact would be the best choice, I think.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had a USP40c since 2002. Never had any problem, in fact its the only gun that always went bang no matter what ammo I fed it. I shoot it almost as well as my 1911.
The full size is a great gun as well it just did not carry as comfortable for me.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
It all depends what role the pistol will be deployed in. CCW the USP Compact gets the nod. For home protection or Open Carry the Full size USP is 2nd to none. Use the best tool for the job.

Shoot safe, watch your front sight and master the 3 shooting basics! Attend at least one class a year.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Does anyone prefer the compact over the full-size?
No personal experience but I know people who are certain than the compact is a more shootable gun. Lighter reciprocating mass with still adequate grip size to control the gun.

·
Registered
150 Posts
That's a real tough one. I guess if you need to pick one to cover a multitude of functions and can conceal a full size pistol if one absolutely has to, I would say the benefits of the full size such as low recoil and capacity win out over the compact.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My USP compact is my favorite of the HKs that I've owned. Admittedly, I've never owned a full size USP. Perhaps that should change. :690:

·
Registered
92 Posts
The compact grip doesn't get along with a spur at the base of my thumb near the web of my hand so we parted ways. Puts the edge of the control lever in a painful position under recoil, even in 9mm. The fullsize doesn't bother it at all so they stayed.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i believe in the Massad Ayoob approach to CCW

1) reliability, reliability and reliability

2) what fits you best and what you shoot best

3) capacity and caliber. if you can't hit your target with 6-10 shots, then you probably don't need to CCW .

i like the practical approach Ayoob teaches, i know you have 1 and 3 covered . can't help you with 2

i carry the USPc 45, it meets all of my CCW requirements . i also like having the bobbed hammer .

Kost gave us all some good advice too, something i hope to be able to participate in after my 9th sugery on my hip and pelvis , "knock on titanium"

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I got a pretty good deal on my usp40c. I have a conversion barrel for it.
I would like to get a full size usp 9.
I just have to save up my pennies. LOL

I do like my P30 I just got. Except for the safety. I may be in the minority but I think the usp has a better trigger.
Well I should not say better but different, less take up.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I don't prefer the Compact but I shoot it nearly as well as the full-size and I can definitely see how the smaller grip could be preferred by some shooters.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It all depends what role the pistol will be deployed in. CCW the USP Compact gets the nod. For home protection or Open Carry the Full size USP is 2nd to none. Use the best tool for the job.

Shoot safe, watch your front sight and master the 3 shooting basics! Attend at least one class a year.
Thanks for posting this -- saved me a lot of typing! :)

One other note: At least the USPc 45 magazines (I believe the 9's and .40's also) are available with flat and pinky-extended base plates. With my medium-sized hands, I feel (totally subjective, of course) I have better control of the gun when firing because my pinky isn't "on the edge" of slipping below the grip. Other than that, I find the USPc to be just as comfortable to shoot as the FS. My FS is a house gun and range toy. My USPc alternates with my P30SK in my daily travels.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I used to have a USP 9 Compact as well as the full size.

What I noticed immediately is that the compact has a plastic/polymer buffer instead of the second spring the full size pistol has. Also, shooting both pistols back to back, I feel the USP 9C is more, "snappy" and it gets back down onto target faster. That combined with the steel magazines, it became one of my favorite guns.

If your hands are small, you may prefer the Compact model more -- the grip is ever so slightly smaller in circumference than the full size.

That being said, I still prefer the full sized pistol (still own it). I like the longer sight radius as well as the larger pistol grip, both height and circumference. I haven't had issues carrying the full size concealed either. Your mileage may vary.

·
Priest of the P7
5,037 Posts
I'm not a 40 fan, but in 9 or 45 I much prefer the compact and have several of both. I guess I'm somewhat of an outlier in that I don't really appreciate the full size USP line for whatever reason.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to agree with Kost ... my CCW is a USPc in 357 Sig ... it only gives up one round to the 9 and it is actually a 9mm +P++++. My truck gun is a full size USP in 45 ACP ... two 12 round mags +1 = one box of Remington Golden Sabers. Corny I know, but it is also the only hammer fired 45 that I ever found that will hold more than 10 rounds. And both of them are built like tanks!

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
USP Rules the Day

+1
Carry?

Home Defense?

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
+1
Carry?

Home Defense?
Yeah Buddy! USP Compact 45 would be my choice, don't have one in 45, think that needs to change!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
It depends on your goal. For cc, I would prefer the compact as it's much easier to conceal. For a duty weapon or range toy, i lean towards full size with match trigger.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts