HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New here and wanted to get some feedback. I've read a bit on the HE finish on USPs and understand that this is the only finish the USPs have come in. Was there a change in the finishing process or was there a change in the manufacturing process for the slides? Here are two pictures of a USP 40 and USP 9, date code 1994 and 2016 respectively. They look different. I'm curious as to what changed.

Electronics

·
Registered
332 Posts
"major metal components like the one-piece, machined steel slide are also corrosive resistant, treated with a special "HE" (hostile environment) protective finish . the HE finish is an extremely hard, nitro-gas carburized black oxide coating, and resists even the worst types of corrosion and wear, including exposure to salt water ."

quoted from my usp 45 manual, as far as i know this process is used on all USP's, with the exception being the MK23 . i think the older 23's have a "Maritime Coating" on them . i don't own the 23, i have read this in several post, maybe one of the more knowledgeable members can confirm the MK23 finish process .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks. I'll have to dig up my grey box from the old USP and see if I still have the manual to see if it says the same. I assume it probably says the same. Just by looking at the two it looks like something changed. Maybe it was just a matter of how smooth the metal was before the HE finish and black oxide coatings were applied.

I just checked the 2016 date coded USP9 manual and it still states what you said verbatim

·
Banned
34,552 Posts
It appears that the earlier USP's have a "shinier, smoother, non-textured" finish--- my KF looks like your KE!!! :biggrin:

Tony

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
The .40 seems to have some serious striations in the milling?? Don't think I've ever seen that before, finish is surely different.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If I remember correctly someone asked the same question about the first batch of stainless steel USPs and the recent batch except it was the recent batch that had the striations and the first release was smooth.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yes for sure. I actually like the look of the milling on the 40.
USP 40 rollmarked/stamped logo and the USP 9 engraved logo . H&K went from rollmarked slides to engraved slides sometime around 04-05, maybe that explains the mill marks on the 40 ?

found that info in a 2011 post, "engraving on new HKs" . i prefer the milling on the 40 .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally found it. Very similar wording.

"Major metal components on the USP are also corrosion resistant. Outside metal surfaces are protected by an extremely hard, nitro-gas carburized black oxide finish."

·
Registered
166 Posts
I know that sand/bead blasting before treating can dramatically change finish appearance. Also, same treating from 2 different vendors can also have a different appearance. Looks as if they have switched to blasting slides before coating to remove mill marks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts