HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a full size USP .40. I like the gun overall but after 4-5 mags, the outside base on the thumb of my shooting hand is raw. I shoot thumbs forward without riding the safety. Any suggestions on grip and/or mods to alleviate this? I've shot extensively with 1911s, BHPs, and Sigs without a grip problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just looked it up. My problem is that the grip tang is rubbing the bony knob at the base of my thumb. Not sure the Hogue will address that but it's possible it might slightly reorient my grip to avoid the rub/pressure.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Try moving your thumb a little away from the gun so long as it doesn't compromise your grip. I do that to keep my thumb on my shooting hand away from the decocker too. Seems to work for me. You might just have to make a grip adjustment and not worry about spending any money.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Sounds like (if you're right handed) you'd need to roll your grip a couple of degrees clockwise. The tang of my grip rests firmly in the web.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Just looked it up. My problem is that the grip tang is rubbing the bony knob at the base of my thumb. Not sure the Hogue will address that but it's possible it might slightly reorient my grip to avoid the rub/pressure.
My base of my thumb is in a state of constant soreness, just like yours. I get this from the same thing as you, I ride the safety like a 1911, and get my hand as high as I can. The soreness is better than what happened to my hand when choking up on the Glock. I have done nothing to my grip, and would not if I were you either; unless it is getting so bad that the shooting is being affected by it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My base of my thumb is in a state of constant soreness, just like yours. I get this from the same thing as you, I ride the safety like a 1911, and get my hand as high as I can. The soreness is better than what happened to my hand when choking up on the Glock. I have done nothing to my grip, and would not if I were you either; unless it is getting so bad that the shooting is being affected by it.
I too have the same problem with my Glocks. I shot my USPc and I was so glad I didn't have that problem.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Glocks always rubbed me the same way. Raw to the point of blood blister. I used to rub a bit of Body Glide anti-chafe on the area before a range trip and that solved my problem. What solved my problem even more was getting rid of every Glock I owned. Fortunately, I have no such issues with my P30L. I will likely own a USP or USPc in the near future so we'll see if I have a similar problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, not bad enough to be more than irritating. I might just learn to live with it like you. Just notable after so much time behind 1911s.

I did dry fire a ton while watching a baseball game and noticed that rotating my grip a few degrees like S5TIIOwner suggested also helped, but we'll see how natural it feels at the range tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem shooting my Kahrs. Every single Kahr I've shot leaves me bleeding on the outside of my thumb. To solve this, I put a couple fabric bandages on that spot before I hit the range with my Kahr.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts