HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I notice the H&K USP has had an influence on many makes of hand guns over the years, but also on custom 1911 Colt builds. Typically the flush cut shaft and counter sinking around the shaft on the slide stop on the frame, and beveled bottom of the slide, both features are showing up on high end custom 1911 Colt builds - just an observation on how the mighty USP has influenced its 100 year old grandfather in custom form. =)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Kost are you talking about the Mar's or other Full Custom 1911's also? So far i like the "Thug" and when i get alot together i planned to see which Mar's you thought best. Interesting Reliability of the USP affecting Custom 1911's. Thank's for the info. very nice to know!!

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve does do the slide bevel and custom work on the slide stop, as many other 1911 custom smiths do, I love Steve's THUG, very cool indeed. Actually I just got an email from Steve Morrison last week, informing me he expects my Colt back from Metaloy any day now ... its been a 4 year wait, Im glad its almost over! =)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Steve does do the slide bevel and custom work on the slide stop, as many other 1911 custom smiths do, I love Steve's THUG, very cool indeed. Actually I just got an email from Steve Morrison last week, informing me he expects my Colt back from Metaloy any day now ... its been a 4 year wait, Im glad its almost over! =)
I sure would like you to send me some pic.s when you get it. The Thug sure has my attention. Not spoke with him yet. But i will, I'll PM you my e-mail i sure would like to see pic's of your Colt. Not sure what Metaloy is but i'll look at Steve's web to see any info. Congrat's on a long wait that's about over!! i really appreciate all your help!!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think its really cool to see these custom build 1911's and then look at my USP's and think, hmmm, some of those are standard features on my USP.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Good post Kost. USP is a mighty design :)

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Yeah, I really like the countersunk slide-release (slidestop) axle on my HKs. Have seen it as an upgrade on a few 1911s, and have always wondered why they don't just start doing it to all the upscale 1911s. . . I guess it's worth more as an upgrade.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it all comes down to cost savings on the CNC maching process[Colt went to CNC machining 3 yrs ago], the fewer processes on the CNC machine, the less the unit will cost. Thats the big thing I hear over and over, is how expensive it is to run a steel frame through all the various processes on the CNC machines...on a 1911 there are alot of them. As discussed many times here, maybe one of the main reasons H&K has not built an all steel 1911, it would probably be expensive, because the extensive time each unit would have to spend on a CNC machine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts