HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, new member, relatively new HK owner, glad to be here.

I've got some issues with a used USP 45 I purchased a few months back. First and foremost, I need to zero the sights - whoever owned it before me had the rear sight cocked way over to the left, so bullet impact is 3-4 inches left of center at 15 yards. i.e., big problem. Also, I'm not getting the kind of groups with this .45 that I was getting with a friend's USP .40 - I'm wondering if .45 is just inherently less accurate than .40, or if I'm going to have to spend the big bucks on ammo to get any sort of passable accuracy over 15 yards. The gun is cleaned well, so that isn't the issue here, but maybe the barrel is starting to wear from use - I've got no idea how many rounds have been down the tube, but this is a KF date code, so there's been ample time to put a lot through it.

Second, when I first got it, I was having feed issues - I was using some Tula at the time, and and I chalked it up to the ammo, so I sold off the Tula and got some Remington UMC ball, which has worked better, but I occasionally (always after firing about 150-200 rounds, never before that many) still get hangups. I was thinking this might be a mag spring issue (mags are clean, followers aren't hainging up). Is there anything I can do to isolate the issue and/or fix it?

Also, as to the sights, how should I go about adjusting them? I have heard horror stories about people mangling the hell out of their slides and sights with a steel punch when trying to adjust the sights... what do you guys recommend?

***ETA: PICS AT BOTTOM***

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Hey all, new member, relatively new HK owner, glad to be here.
Glad to have you.

Second, when I first got it, I was having feed issues - I was using some Tula at the time, and and I chalked it up to the ammo, so I sold off the Tula and got some Remington UMC ball, which has worked better, but I occasionally (always after firing about 150-200 rounds, never before that many) still get hangups. I was thinking this might be a mag spring issue (mags are clean, followers aren't hainging up). Is there anything I can do to isolate the issue and/or fix it?
What's a hangup? FTE or double feeds or something else?

Also, as to the sights, how should I go about adjusting them? I have heard horror stories about people mangling the hell out of their slides and sights with a steel punch when trying to adjust the sights... what do you guys recommend?
DO NOT USE A STEEL PUNCH!!!!!! DO NOT TAKE THE FILE TO THE SLIDE!!!!! DO NOT PUT THE SLIDE IN THE VISE WITHOUT PADDING AND DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE VICE!!!! And even with a brass punch take your time, after owning HK's for 3 years I finally did my own sight installation and it was a breeze. What sights are on there now? I was informed from HK CS that Trijicons on HK's shoot low and Mepros are usually dead on, I don't know why and didn't ask I just took their word for it.

Is this your first .45? Is it the same trigger as on your USP 40? I'm just going to throw this out there but maybe it's a trigger issue. More spefically a trigger finger location issue. I think the grip on the USP .45 is bigger than the USP 9/40, which means your hand is stretched out more and if you are gripping your USP .45 exactly like you did your USP .40 then probably your trigger finger isn't in the right location on the trigger when you do your "slow press to the rear"... But that's a far out theory, it's probably something as simple as a different trigger feel due to different springs in different guns.

Also you mentioned something about the barrel being worn out... I highly doubt that. There is a story of some Swat guy that put like a million rounds through his USP .45... Well not a million but way more then you'll ever put through it.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Welcome to the forums...

As darebear said what kind of hangups are you experiencing? Are these the original magazines that came with the gun?

You may just need new mag springs. if they are several years old. I have learned from other more experienced members of this forum that mags are an expendable thing (yes they are expensive) but they do need a spring change every so often. Most malfunctions (double feeds, and FTF) occur from mag related issues. Next time you go shooting number your mags and see if the problems are isolated to one specific magazine.

I would recommend buying some new factory mags anyway just for good measure they are not expensive. I just picked up 3 myself for $30 with shipping from HKparts.net

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hi and Welcome.

Good info from Darebear. Definitely clarify what type of ammo issue you're having. How much of the steel cased Tula did you fire through it? Often times, steel cased ammo won't expand like brass and you don't get as tight a seal around the case. Thus you can have more combustion residue either in the barrel or the chamber itself. Sometimes this can lead to feeding issues and possibly accuracy ones as well.

Also if it were me, the offset sights would likely affect my accuracy due to both aggravation, and the fact I'd be trying to compensate. As a result, I would probably not be at my best. Make sure the chamber doesn't have any crud in it and get the sights fixed, then see what you can do accuracy wise before getting too concerned.

Best

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's a hangup? FTE or double feeds or something else?
oops! had to type the post twice and forgot to mention it. Slide isn't going into to battery fully. If I tap the back of it, it will go the rest of the way in, it's like the bullets aren't seating right and need some encouragement to make it into the chamber. I made sure the slide was clean, chamber was a bit dirty but nothing excessive, so I figured it was an ammo issue... I don't know though. When I switched to Remington UMC it has still happened a few times, although definitely not as often. From what I understand, HKs shouldn't be having this kind of issue, if everything I've read is correct.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
. . . Slide isn't going into to battery fully. If I tap the back of it, it will go the rest of the way in, it's like the bullets aren't seating right and need some encouragement to make it into the chamber. I made sure the slide was clean, chamber was a bit dirty but nothing excessive, so I figured it was an ammo issue. . .
Replace your recoil spring with a new one from HK.

I would also recommend that you scrub your chamber well with this:

Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner

Wrap some of it around a bore brush, add your favorite gun cleaner, and scrub the chamber well. After you are done, take the pointy end of a wooden bamboo skewer and scrape the chamber step inside the chamber (the far end of the chamber where a cartridge case mouth touches).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...take the pointy end of a wooden bamboo skewer and scrape the chamber step inside the chamber (the far end of the chamber where a cartridge case mouth touches).
That's my trick, you, um, ... trick copier!

Heh, yeah, bore is good and clean, and my trigger finger is well trained - I'm going to chalk the inacuracy up to poor compensation for the sight misalignment. I'll be sure to go with a brass punch -- What do you guys think about boresight-esque lasers? useful, or not worth the ~$10?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Don't know for sure - two are USP mags without patent numbers, one is a USP mag with a patent number, and one is a brand new Mk 23 mag that I couldn't pass up for such a low price.
Mark 23 mags are known to be problematic in USP45's

Also you need to run some better quality ammo through that thing. I know ammo costs are high but Tula and Remington UMC are bottom of the barrel. UMC is WAY to overpriced for what it is. Its crappy of shore re manufactured stuff that Remington is ballsy enough to put their name on. My buddy's 1911 ate everything he could feed it including Tula. As soon as he got UMC he was having 3-4 jams per box. Some people never have issues with either but I wont run Tula or UMC through my $900 handgun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll keep an eye on it, but I am pretty sure that if it's a mag issue, it's one of the USP mags. I should probably sell off the Mk 23 mag anyway, since it's kind of a frankengun part for the USP...

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
I tried Tula and wolf in my usp40 and I had a few fte so I quit using steel cases. All my hks eat up federal with no problems. And it's a good price.

·
Registered
166 Posts
What do you guys think about boresight-esque lasers? useful, or not worth the ~$10?
I've never aligned iron sights with one, but I use a boresight to align my laser sight on my P30, and it works great. After the first time I used it, I took the gun to the range, and the laser was dialed in perfectly. I had to make no adjustments at all, so it saved me a lot on ammo.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I will add, to the already sound advice that others have offered, that you should clean throughly behind the extractor claw. Alot of gunk can build up behind it causing the pistol to fail to feed.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Its been said before...stay away from steel cases!! I wouldn't feed that stuff to a Glock let alone an HK (FYI I did shoot one mag of the .40 thru my USPc when I first got it as a test of 8 different kinds of ammo we had...it fed them all!)

As stated before...Remington ammo sucks...they don't taper-crimp the cartridges during assembly to save cost and it affects the ammunitions overall accuracy; that extra step can affect chambering as well...ammo isn't cheap but remember you get what you pay for...I suggest you get a good selection of a few different brands and types and see if any are more accurate than others or if one type feeds better than another...Federal's Blazer Brass is my suggestion...they also have an aluminum cased ammo I have had decent luck with for anywhere I'm unlikely to recover brass!

As far as the sights go...it can be done at home; but I do NOT do any of my own sight work...I will gladly pay my local gunsmith who owns a pistol vise and the proper sight aligning tool to handle those duties for me--that being said he also uses a laser bore-sighter to setup Crimson Trace grips etc. and has had excellent luck with that approach; personally I stress trying to find somebody with experience to lend a hand on that!

Keep an eye on the magazines...I had a weak spring cause my USPf to hang-up...I marked my mags with a small dot on the bottom of the floorplate of the mag I was using when the malfunction happened...sure enough after taking that mag out of the rotation the issue went away and I knew which mag needed a new spring!

Welcome to the Asylum and Best of luck with gettin it dialed in...

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
1. Mags are not likely to be related to a failure to return to battery. If even after changing ammo brands, it does it with the Remington too, then I would say to DEFINITELY replace the recoil spring.

2. If your sights are out of alignment, set both the front and rear sights approximately in the middle of the slide to start with. That will probably be fine, but you can adjust later if need be. To drift your sights, I recommend using a 2&1/2" inch broken-off piece of a wooden Chinese chopstick or a similarly sized piece of hardwood like oak. On different occasions in the past, I have used both the broken-off piece of chopstick and also a piece of oak I cut from an old oak pallet to the same size. The advantage to using a piece of wood as a "punch" is that you can't scratch nor harm anything. A brass punch works very well too, except that after you finish, you will need to work at removing the brass marks left behind on the black metal by the punch. Just be sure to place the tip of your punch at the very base of the sight where it touches the slide and not on the sight blade itself. Also, when you place your slide in the bench-vise, make sure you don't tighten the vise any more than necessary to hold it securely. If you tighten it down like Hercules, you will crack your slide.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One down...

Went ghetto, went to town on a block of wood with a saw, used a piece of it to brace the slide, then used a chopstick and a hammer to position the rear sight. It is centered, but I don't have a bore sight to make sure it's zeroed...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Centered should be 99% fine. If your sights are centered and it's still hitting noticeably to once side, its a different problem entirely. If you aren't sure, always hand it over to a friend or range employee and have them shoot a few groups of 3. Make sure it isn't you pulling left. I have always assumed thats why sights are janked way to one side, someone was shooting left and tried to compensate rather than correct.

I second the gunked up extractor issue that H&K 4 LIFE mentioned. I can't say ive had that specific problem on an HK but seen it in many other guns.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I echo using a high qulity ammo with mags you know are in good shape, my go to range round is CCI Blazer Brass, its clean, and I never have issue with it in any caliber. Far as the sights, you should be able to center both sights by your eyes in the dove tails, once centered, the pistol should shoot very staight, providing you do your job well. Making sure your extractor is clean and in good shape is also a good idea, especially after shooting steel case ammo. The extractor is a 'hardened' piece, so it should be fine, providing you didnt run a lot of steel case ammo thru the pistol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
... should be fine, providing you didnt run a lot of steel case ammo thru the pistol.
Only a couple hundred rounds, i.e., 200 rounds exactly. However, the gun is used, and I have no idea what was done to it before I got it. Hoping to take it to the range today and see if it's good to go.

ETA: also, extractor looks fine on visual inspection, btw.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts