HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About a month ago I purchased a police trade-in USP 40S&W fullsize and it came with a bad mag. It was marked on the bottom "missfire" and yet the
LGS didn't hesitate to sell it to me. The bad mag marked "missfire" would cause a malfunction every 30 rounds or so. I brought it back and they gave me a replacement mag. Now I'm having trouble with this replacement mag - I have to rack it with alot of force for it to catch on an empty mag.

The USP has a date code from 2002. My initial inspection revealed some grime on the feed ramp and in the bore. It cleaned up really nice and there is not really any visible wear on it. There is not any significant holster wear on the slide either.

I was using my brand new (not the replacement) mag yesterday and put about 150 rounds through it and on the last round of my 2nd magazine, it just went click. I thought I miscounted my rounds and was empty until I looked at the frame and saw the slide was not locked backed. I racked the slide and the bullet popped out as normal. I reinserted the round into the magazine and it fired flawlessly.

While I was firing the same magazine, the brass was flying towards my face which is out of the ordinary compared to the other times I've fired this gun.The shell casings hit me in the face once or twice.

About 4-5 magazines fired later, I had another malfunction. This time, it looked like a ammo issue. The back of the round/primer was just pushed in. I chucked this round rather than attempting to fire it again (the primer was screwed). The rest of my rangetime with my USP went perfectly.

Any suggestions? Extractor issue maybe? Extractor spring? Should I replace mag springs and guide rod spring as it's a used police trade-in? I plan to do a detail cleaning on the slide after work tonight. I have not done a detail cleaning on it yet. When I brought it home it was very dirty and looked as though it hadn't been cleaned in a year! Your thoughts.

P.S. I ordered some +10% mag springs and a new recoil spring just in case. $29 shipped for them all, might as well.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
send it to HK for a workover, money well spent IMO........

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I'm trying to avoid. I spent $499 on this gun and it's a used police trade in. After how much it'll likely cost sending it in to HK, I might as well of purchased a brand new one...

·
Registered
18,642 Posts
Shipping to H&K is probably about $60?

I would do a thorough, detailed cleaning of the slide, removing and cleaning the extractor, spring, firing pin, firing pin block, recoil spring + assembly, etc. Since you said you were using a brand-new mag, I don't think the mag spring needs to be replaced. But I would say pay attention to the extractor and firing pin.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
it still has some "gunk" issues would be my opinion. As mew you can send it in and they'll bring it back to spec but there's a few things you can do prior to that if you want to. First is to remove the extractor and give it and the recess it sits in a good cleaning. You'll be surprised how much crap is behind there. I would also remove the firing pin and clean it and the firing pin channel very good. Remember to just clean them without oiling them as the oil will attract more dirt and grime. Seeing as it's a police trade in and in the condition it was in when you described it, I think those two things will be a good start to diagnosing the problem.

ETA. I guess I should type faster. LOL

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to do the detail cleaning tonight and put another 200 rounds or so through it this weekend to see how it performs. If it continues, I'll send it back to HK.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Is there any informative guides on how to do a detail cleaning on the USP? I'm assuming it's never been detailed and that could be the culprit. Just to add on to what I was saying earlier, the failure that happened with my brand new magazine was really odd. It was not a "double feed" or a "stovepipe". It just wouldn't shoot; pulling the trigger did nothing until I ejected the round and reinserted/fired it.

The fact that right around the time of that malfunction, I had brass flying in my face makes me wonder if it's extractor related? The ammo failure really has me puzzled too. What would cause that? Was it just a coincidence? I've never had a bad round when using WWB ammo.

I'd rather not go without my USP so if I can avoid sending it into HK, that'd be great. Plus, I don't want to spend that much money if it just needs a $10 spring or a 10 minute cleaning.

This is my first HK and I love it. It's the epitome of badass. I just can't help but think I should've spent the money on something else.. I shoot 15 year old Glock's that have never been cleaned since the factory, never had a part replaced, and never had a failure. My USP looks to be less worn than my brothers USP dated 2010, so I don't think it was beat up on toobad. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Glock kool-aid drinker.... I'm just frustrated.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Is there any informative guides on how to do a detail cleaning on the USP? I'm assuming it's never been detailed and that could be the culprit. Just to add on to what I was saying earlier, the failure that happened with my brand new magazine was really odd. It was not a "double feed" or a "stovepipe". It just wouldn't shoot; pulling the trigger did nothing until I ejected the round and reinserted/fired it.

The fact that right around the time of that malfunction, I had brass flying in my face makes me wonder if it's extractor related? The ammo failure really has me puzzled too. What would cause that? Was it just a coincidence? I've never had a bad round when using WWB ammo.

I'd rather not go without my USP so if I can avoid sending it into HK, that'd be great. Plus, I don't want to spend that much money if it just needs a $10 spring or a 10 minute cleaning.

This is my first HK and I love it. It's the epitome of badass. I just can't help but think I should've spent the money on something else.. I shoot 15 year old Glock's that have never been cleaned since the factory, never had a part replaced, and never had a failure. My USP looks to be less worn than my brothers USP dated 2010, so I don't think it was beat up on toobad. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Glock kool-aid drinker.... I'm just frustrated.
Personally, I wouldn't fuss with the "what if" scenarios. As I mentioned over on M4C, call HK and arrange for it to be shipped back. They will go over and replace whatever is out of spec under warranty. The only thing you'll be out is return shipment.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
If the LGS is willing to sell a bad mag then I wouldn't put it past them to give you an aftermarket promag pos for a replacement.. It's worth checking out IMO.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
If the LGS is willing to sell a bad mag then I wouldn't put it past them to give you an aftermarket promag pos for a replacement.. It's worth checking out IMO.
This is what I was concerned with.

Before you go sending it off, make sure your mags are actually HK mags, and not aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The malfunctions happened yesterday using a magazine that came with my brothers USP when he bought his brand new 1.5 years ago. He barely used the mag because he got the jet funnel kit almost immediately afterwards. I know I did have a bad mag but I think the problem(s) I'm having now are unrelated, honestly.

·
Registered
130 Posts

that problem sounds like a worn mainspring or could be firing pin related

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
If there's crud in firing pin channel then it's likely that there's crud behind the extractor as well. This would explain both problems. I can't see one area being maintained and the other being neglected. If this turns out to be the issue it's the result of somebody being a bit to generous with the oil and thinking they needed to run it wet. If you check those two places and find a bunch of buildup then it's likely to fix your issue but if not then off to HK-land it should go.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
If you need to detail clean it but aren't comfortable doing it, just throw the whole thing in a dishwasher if you have one. It will clean it surprisingly well....Surely enough to make it serviceable if it being dirty was the problem.

Definitely worth a try before you send it out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm definitely going to try the detailed cleaning when home tonight. Thanks for the dishwasher idea too!! What size of punch will I need? No PDF guide, etc for this? I don't have my operators manual.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I'm definitely going to try the detailed cleaning when home tonight. Thanks for the dishwasher idea too!! What size of punch will I need? No PDF guide, etc for this? I don't have my operators manual.
3/32

·
Registered
1997 USP 9mm Full Size, too many upgrades to list.
610 Posts
Just to chime in I've had some issues recently with WWB after ten years of using it. I had some of the bulk box ammo and had several failure to fires, I've also read others complaining about their quality in the last year or so.

A good cleaning sounds like step one in getting to know your new gun. I've done it recently if you get stuck feel free to PM me.

-Sean

·
Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
1,023 Posts
That's what I'm trying to avoid. I spent $499 on this gun and it's a used police trade in. After how much it'll likely cost sending it in to HK, I might as well of purchased a brand new one...
$499 for a 10yr old police trade in? Woow. I assume it's the standard USPc, not stainless?

I would have bought a brand new Glock 19 for the same amount of money.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts