HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting a match grade USP trigger set in a USPc, already read I can use my trigger instead of modifying the one in the pack. I plan to do this.

QUESTION: Can one use the USPc hammer instead of the one that came with the USP match grade trigger pack. I want to keep it compact due to printing but don't want to compromise the feel of the trigger. If I leave in the compact hammer will it change the "feel" of the trigger as far as pull weight or anything like that.

I've put two in before but in full size so I did use the hammer that came with the kit, oh what fun that little trigger spring is to get in place, bet I am going to regret not buying those special pliers.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
The Match hammer is part of what makes the Match trigger a Match trigger. You could use the Match bobbed hammer that came with the USP Experts. Those are bobbed so the Expert will fit in the 'box' but are still Match grade.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Match hammer is part of what makes the Match trigger a Match trigger. You could use the Match bobbed hammer that came with the USP Experts. Those are bobbed so the Expert will fit in the 'box' but are still Match grade.
Thanks, Will do.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Good luck finding that bobbed Expert hammer. They used to come with older Expert models but not anymore.
Hmm. I wasn't aware they stopped supplying those bobbed Match hammers with the Experts. Wonder why they don't do that anymore. I know my bobbed hammer is marked with an S which I understand distinguishes Match hammers from not...

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
As above, its the match hammer and trigger w/over-travel screw which pretty much makes up the match kit, with the exception of the TRS and the possible need of the hammer spring and in some kits the possible addition of a nickle sear spring. The match trigger does not work in the compacts. If you remove the hammer as well, then you bought the expensive kit for the TRS alone? TooSixy has tutorials out on how to adapt the trigger with a screw and he might even still have one left that way for sale.
I discovered this when I did a match/hybrid LEM install and realized that on my USPT, I was throwing away the valuable match parts, mainly the polished hammer. So slightly polish the the LEM hammer will smooth life a bit and won't hurt at all. But sadly, even the match TRS went away. The hammer spring was standard and never changed. So in essence, unless I am confused, in many cases on hybrid, the only remaining match part is the trigger w/screw. So in that regard I simply go LEM unless I am converting a match system to hybrid and then, I have a pile of left over match parts people pay more than $100 for.
Make the search feature your friend. Some good guys have written some great tutorials and stickies for us all. Hope this diatribe helps inform as well. If I erred, guys/gals, please show me the error of my ways :biggrin:

·
Banned
18,624 Posts
Hmm. I wasn't aware they stopped supplying those bobbed Match hammers with the Experts. Wonder why they don't do that anymore. I know my bobbed hammer is marked with an S which I understand distinguishes Match hammers from not...
It should be marked with an E, not S, azimuth.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I think I understand. Bought the kit a month ago so I am stuck with it and don't mind.

My goal is to lighten the compact single action trigger just like the Expert but carry decocked.

I have a USP Expert 40 date code 2001. I found the bobbed hammer for it. The date code for the USP Compact 357 sig is 2004.

Thanks for pointing out that the hammer is half the point of the kit. Don't care about the trigger, took the over-travel screw out of both my full sized as they never seemed to make much difference in my shooting so one final question to all you great experts on the subject. (Unless the full sized trigger helps lighten the pull, not just stop over-travel.)

Will a Match Grade bobbed hammer from a 40 Expert made in 2001 work on a USP Compact made in 2004. (The hammer has a E not an S on it but came with the Expert bought new where the Match Grade system was standard so I assume the hammer is also Match Grade)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It should be marked with an E, not S, azimuth.

LOL, We were typing at the same time, please read my post just before this one my friend.

·
Banned
18,624 Posts
I discovered this when I did a match/hybrid LEM install and realized that on my USPT, I was throwing away the valuable match parts, mainly the polished hammer. So slightly polish the the LEM hammer will smooth life a bit and won't hurt at all. But sadly, even the match TRS went away. The hammer spring was standard and never changed. So in essence, unless I am confused, in many cases on hybrid, the only remaining match part is the trigger w/screw. So in that regard I simply go LEM unless I am converting a match system to hybrid and then, I have a pile of left over match parts people pay more than $100 for.
If you did the Match LEM Hybrid trigger, you would still be left with the Match HS and Match nickel-plated sear spring. Sadly, the Match hammer gets thrown away so that's why I don't recommend buying both the Match Trigger and LEM kits because the most expensive part of the Match Trigger Kit is the hammer and you don't use it.

·
Banned
18,624 Posts
Will a Match Grade bobbed hammer from a 40 Expert made in 2001 work on a USP Compact made in 2004. (The hammer has a E not an S on it but came with the Expert bought new where the Match Grade system was standard so I assume the hammer is also Match Grade)
Will work, but you have to re-use the stock catch that came with your AE USPc (and not the one that came in the Match Trigger kit) because the bobbed Expert hammer does not have the notch for the new-style, longer catch.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will work, but you have to re-use the stock catch that came with your AE USPc (and not the one that came in the Match Trigger kit) because the bobbed Expert hammer does not have the notch for the new-style, longer catch.
Thanks a ton, will start on it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
If you did the Match LEM Hybrid trigger, you would still be left with the Match HS and Match nickel-plated sear spring. Sadly, the Match hammer gets thrown away so that's why I don't recommend buying both the Match Trigger and LEM kits because the most expensive part of the Match Trigger Kit is the hammer and you don't use it.
Exactly in many cases. But in some cases, certain kits omit the nickel sear spring and the hammer spring already in the USP remains and the kits spring, a second copy, from what I have seen. hence my statement. If all kits were equal, then yes, I'd agree. One must shop wisely these days unless they acquire their parts directly from HK themselves or confirm each piece in every kit ordered from third parties. We do have good vendors, but Caveat Emptor always.
I'm not arguing with you TooSixy as it is from you and a couple others I have learned myself... mainly you, your replied messages and your tutorials. Thanks for that. I just have seen kits, perhaps others have not noticed, omitting the nickle sear, just like HK omitted installing that part in some Tacticals.
That is why I always check your charts and tutorials to see if i am better off buying just certain parts vs full kits.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to all and especially TooSixy for the guide to install the kit, just got it all in and all functions check, need to test fire but I have no doubt you great folks walked me through it successfully. Bobbed old Expert hammer and old catch worked just like you stated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts