HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most of you I'm sure, I usually casually observe what type of weapon a police officer is carrying when I see them and here in Houston its usually either a glock, a glock or a glock. Once in awhile a 3rd Gen Smith but never a USP. We're they ever very popular or issued much for leo? I know they're expensive but it just surprises me how rarely if ever I see a leo with a USP.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Curry County New Mexico Sheriff Dept issues USP 40's. It's all about money. Glocks are cheap. Police guns are carried a lot and shot very little...no sense spending a lot of extra money for a gun that is mostly going to be for show.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
At my place of work our alarm was tripped on accident and the officer that responed was carrying a USPc... City Officer..

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
State of Maine has good taste.......one of the most reliable firearms available for a State that probably has the least amount of crime in the country.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Texas State Troopers carry the USP 40

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Around here it is Glock or S&W mostly. A few departments who are anti-Glock go to something else like <barf> Beretta or more recently Sig. Raleigh PD used a S&W 3rd gen POS for YEARS until S&W finally told them they were not going to support the platform anymore, so buy new ones or start sharing parts. The Troopers use Sig or Beretta. They seem to change a lot, currently on a .357 Sig kick, and a one time used Cougars and then went to Sig 229's I think. I have never seen an NC department with anything HK. Glock 22/23 gets a lot of love.

S&W recently bought all of Guilford County's Sheriff's Department 15 year old Glock 21's for S&W M&P .45's. Now they can't seem to get their qual rate above 60%. On a side note, I hear the higher ups had HK USP Compact .45's as their "Duty Guns" but mostly sat in desk drawers. With the jobs come the perks I guess.

·
Registered
478 Posts
NJ:

Union County PD - HK USP 45 - Patrol
USP 45 Compact- Admin/DB

Plainfield, NJ - HK USP 45 - All units, full size

·
Registered
419 Posts
Every agency I've ever worked for issued Glocks. One Agency that sent recruits to the same Academy I attended issued the S&W 6906. This frustrated the Firearms Instructors to no end. It involved extra instructions for them such as de-cock and re-holster. So, on top of Glocks being simpler to train people to shoot, they're quite a bit cheaper than H&Ks. Glocks give LE Agencies discounts, H&K does not. Add in the trade ins they allow and it doesn't make sense for an agency that has to account for each and every penny to issue expensive handguns.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I live in Southern New Jersey and was eating at a diner one night and an officer had a USP (not sure what caliber) in a drop leg holster. Might have been Pemberton Twp. Police. I'm pretty sure there are other departments in NJ that carry USPs.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Monterey Park, CA uses the USP40, as do their neighbors to the north.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Our Sherriff's Dept used to issue them years ago but swithched to Glocks. A couple deputies refused to switch and still carry a USP.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I saw a plain clothes cop open carry a USP at my local applebees. Other than that, I noticed my city PD has Sig's, and local Sherrriff's are using Glocks. I just got back from a cruise and the port authority had an HK45c.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts