HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I see lots of people post their date codes for their USPs. Is this like with SIG Sauer you can determine the quality of the firearm by when it was manufactured? When looking for a USP should I and find between XX year and YY year (I am not talking about changes to the USP but more changes in quality), or does it even matter? Anything special i need to be looking for this weekend when I'm shopping for my USP? Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Will be trying to purchase my USP this weekend at a gun show so trying to make sure I can get as much info before hand so I can go in prepared.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Doesn't matter too much with HK's.

It's somewhat similar to the SIG equation, but more from a modification standpoint, rather than a lemon standpoint. No HK's with scalloped mud rails or anything like that. ;)

Modifications:

1993: Original USP9 and .40.

1994: Reduced the slide weight by 1.1 oz.

1994-95: Changed to a polygonal rifled barrel (Prior barrels were standard land and
groove)

1994-95: Changed trigger transfer bar.

1994-95: Changed recoil guide rod to a "captured spring version".

1995: Changed trigger mechanism.

1995-96: Added rubber spur to hammer.

1995-96: Changed angle on slide lock.

2000: Added locking feature to hammer strut support.

2001: Converted captive recoil spring retainer from c-clip to machined end on USP
Compacts.

2005: (approx) Firing pin, block and spring modification/enhancement.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I see lots of people post their date codes for their USPs. Is this like with SIG Sauer you can determine the quality of the firearm by when it was manufactured? When looking for a USP should I and find between XX year and YY year (I am not talking about changes to the USP but more changes in quality), or does it even matter? Anything special i need to be looking for this weekend when I'm shopping for my USP? Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Will be trying to purchase my USP this weekend at a gun show so trying to make sure I can get as much info before hand so I can go in prepared.
Get a new one first, but consider whether full size or compact fits better in your hand. Then go with caliber choice. Trigger options are personal but adjustable.
My first was a full size USP40, V1 in double/single action. It was my only gun for 5 years, and my only HK for many more. Think about your needs, training experience, and possible uses. You can always tweak it down the road. I finally went with the light LEM trigger installed in Columbus, GA, based on lots of knowledgeable folks words. It is now a bit easier and faster to shoot accurately, with either hand, in any position or circumstance. I later added an HK45 full size, another USP40 full size, and a USP9 full size for practice/teaching. Full size fits my hand way better so I don't own any compacts. I might still get one for teaching purposes. Have fun and don't look back, you're in good HK hands.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you get a pre-2005 model without the firing pin/block upgrade, EXCESSIVE dry firing COULD break the firing pin. Not extremely common though.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all the replies. I will be getting a USP tactical in .40 S&W if everything goes as planned. I have several SIGs and I think most people know about their reputation as of the passed several years. This will be my first HK though. I used my buddies UPS9 full size a couple weeks ago out at his ranch and fell in love with it. Always liked the USP but didn't know how great it felt in the hand till recently and now i MUST have my own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts