HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back HK posted poll on desired updates to USP liine. Does anyone know if that has any traction?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I can't imagine why it would ever have any traction. I do not believe that the German engineers really care about what a few forum members think here in the states. They design for contracts and volume users. Not a few hobbyists IMO. While a piccy rail might be nice for some, myself and my large paws, prefer the smooth rail of the USP that does not eat up my hands like those with the hacksaw toothed rails do.
The only new model USP that I would be interested in would be a highly polished slide in some form of commemorative series and a wooden presentation box in 9 or 45 and tactical, preferred.
However, I'd love to see a pink zebra striped frame. Not for myself... but for the ladies to enjoy and for me to laugh at all those crying about it.

·
Priest of the P7
5,243 Posts
They've updated the USP a few times. The current iteration is the P30.

·
Requiescat In Pace
3,807 Posts
It's already been done.
The P30 is the 9mm and .40 USP updated
The HK45 is the .45 ACP USP updated.
Therefore it would be unlikely that HK would pay for new molds for the "classic" USP frames just to add the P rail or those features that are already on the P30 and HK45, unless of course a big customer paid for it outright or with a large enough order.
G3Kurz

·
Registered
348 Posts
I wouldn't want them to update it. Would completely take away from the "classic" feeling the USP gives you. Not to mention HK already offers what are essentially updated USPs in the P30 series and HK45.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Any updates to the USP line wouldn't make a realistic difference in sales with all their more modern offerings. People who want the USP want THE USP imo

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Pretty much. If you're not specifically looking for the classic USP, you're probably just looking for hammer fired in general and will go for the P30/HK45 if you want the newer features, like I did. I do hope though that we eventually see "upgraded" variants like match, expert, etc. in the P30 series.

·
Registered
368 Posts
RE: USP re-design (from the standpoint of someone who has used the platform exclusively since January of 1994):

1) Consider getting the "carry" texture from Enhanced Precision Products, also known as Fowler Industries, for (in my opinion) ergonomics improvement which will fully equal if not surpass the superb ergonomics of the P30/P30L.

2) The fact that Surefire has discontinued the MR-09 (USP full size) and MR-08 (USP compact) mounting rails effective November 2015 is a problem, and I would submit is a very significant setback for this otherwise excellent platform. The GG&G rail will fit a Surefire X300-A Ultra, but the light will not lock into place. I am investigating having a machine shop do a run of Surefire MR-09 mounts using one of mine as a sample to reverse-engineer the part. I will keep the board informed of all developments with this project.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I am investigating having a machine shop do a run of Surefire MR-09 mounts using one of mine as a sample to reverse-engineer the part. I will keep the board informed of all developments with this project.
Would be interested in this, but would need to see what the end product looks like and how well it mounts not only to the gun, but also a light itself. Hopefully if you find a shop willing to do this, they will be willing to manufacture a single unit to demonstrate these things first.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I am investigating having a machine shop do a run of Surefire MR-09 mounts using one of mine as a sample to reverse-engineer the part. I will keep the board informed of all developments with this project.
Would be interested in this, but would need to see what the end product looks like and how well it mounts not only to the gun, but also a light itself. Hopefully if you find a shop willing to do this, they will be willing to manufacture a single unit to demonstrate these things first.
Indeed, and fully agree to the letter. Both of the shops I am looking at to start are FFL holders, and in such case I intend to send them an HK USP along with a Surefire MR-09 so that they can take accurate measurements. I would really like to see them make something out of steel or stainless steel (as opposed to Aluminum) for greater recoil reduction associated with the additional weight.

It aggravates the $hit out of me that Surefire discontinued this part. You have no idea how this makes my blood boil. I even called them to discuss the matter, and they said they removed the tooling which they used to make them, and would not place them back into production even if they received a paid-in-full order for 1000 or more units.

Somewhere, somehow, someone has to be able to make this part at a semi-reasonable price point. And I am going to exhaust all available channels to make this happen.
"Victory belongs to those who believe in it the most, and who believe in it the longest." -- Alec Baldwin to Ben Affleck and Josh Hartnett. "Pearl Harbor." Touchstone Pictures, 2001.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts