HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the sight dovetails tapered on the full size USP, and by that I mean do the sights have to come off and go back on in any particular direction? I'm ordered a set of adjustable night sights and plan on putting them on this week. I've done my own sight install on my VP9s but this is my first USP. Any other tips or tricks I should be aware of? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
My USP armorers manual states front and rear sight can drift out either direction.

Welcome to the site.

Your location is close to Cleveland and I am Canton.

I expect TooSixty to come along with some tips/tricks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Are they usually pretty tight?
like have to beat the old ones out with a steel punch tight? I know that is not ideal but it works.
I'm in Brunswick.

·
Banned
18,624 Posts
Are you using punch + hammer or a sight pusher? Not too tight but depends if it is a used gun (and the previous owner put locktite on it) or a really old gun.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It took a fair amount of torque with my sight removal tool (wheeler) to both remove and replace the standard factory sights on my USP; and that was with me taking my time to get my alignments straight. I’d expect it’s going to take a fair amount of patience and specfically directed force to remove them with a punch.

Reactions: Adrox88

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you using punch + hammer or a sight pusher? Not too tight but depends if it is a used gun (and the previous owner put locktite on it) or a really old gun.
Brass or occasionally steel punch and hammer. I've done probably 20ish on my own handguns this way without any issue. I just bought it used a few weeks ago, looked to be unfired, 2013 manufacture. So hopefully there shouldn't be any locktite.

·
Banned
18,624 Posts
^^ Shouldn't be any problem. These HK stock sights are pretty easy to remove; a whole lot easier if you have the right tool (eg: MGW Sight PRO or MGW Sight Pusher).

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I drifted sights on a '04 usp compact with a hammer and brass punch with a small piece of cereal box between the punch and the sight.
Original ones came out fairly easily. I fitted the new Trijicon HD sights with a few swipes of a small file. They were definitely tight out of the box.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I drifted sights on a '04 usp compact with a hammer and brass punch with a small piece of cereal box between the punch and the sight.
Original ones came out fairly easily. I fitted the new Trijicon HD sights with a few swipes of a small file. They were definitely tight out of the box.
Awesome, thanks. I bought a set of fully adjustable sights so at least the rear can be really close and not perfectly centered. Although that will probably bug the **** out of me if its noticeably off center, but, it is what it is.

·
Banned
18,624 Posts
Awesome, thanks. I bought a set of fully adjustable sights so at least the rear can be really close and not perfectly centered. Although that will probably bug the **** out of me if its noticeably off center, but, it is what it is.
And if you really want them perfectly centered, send them to me. I've done about a dozen or so of these adj Meps for the members here and I have the right tool.

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/205039-free-sight-installation-members.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And if you really want them perfectly centered, send them to me. I've done about a dozen or so of these adj Meps for the members here and I have the right tool.

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/205039-free-sight-installation-members.html
Thanks TooSixy, I'll keep that in mind. I'm going to give it a whirl and see how it goes. They are supposed to be delivered today. I dont think they are Meps though. I got them from Eurooptic and it seems like they may be factory HK? "Heckler Koch USP Full Size Adjustable Night Sights 701101" doesn't mention a brand. I figured for $79 they were worth a shot.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I’d suggest not to use hammer on tritium night sights. Maybe it’s OK but I worry it may loosen the vial. I’ve always used sight pusher.

·
Banned
18,624 Posts
Thanks TooSixy, I'll keep that in mind. I'm going to give it a whirl and see how it goes. They are supposed to be delivered today. I dont think they are Meps though. I got them from Eurooptic and it seems like they may be factory HK? "Heckler Koch USP Full Size Adjustable Night Sights 701101" doesn't mention a brand. I figured for $79 they were worth a shot.
They are Meps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts