HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having an issue with the USP's that when you slam a new magazine in, the top round "stovepipes" -- flips and sticks straight up? It happens with all three of my magazines. It's a USP 40 to be more specific.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Geez!

Since it happens with all three mags, maybe you should try a little less "slam".

Just a thought...

ARKAY

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've tried slamming the mags to release the slide a few times, same issue. It is definitely an issue with slamming the mags, there isn't exactly a reason to do this so I think the simple solution would be to, well, stop it.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The one of the mags is brand new.

The "reason" is so I don't have to hit the slide release lever... inserting with enough force will automatically release the slide. I've tried it with less force and have been able to get the slide to automatically release but when speed changing, the LAST thing I think about is "better not shove it in so hard". This was one of the features that attacted me to the USP and I've just gotten so used to doing it. I've started training myself to use the release lever but... you know.

Anyhow, at least I know it's not just me who is/has having this issue.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The one of the mags is brand new.

The "reason" is so I don't have to hit the slide release lever... inserting with enough force will automatically release the slide. I've tried it with less force and have been able to get the slide to automatically release but when speed changing, the LAST thing I think about is "better not shove it in so hard". This was one of the features that attacted me to the USP and I've just gotten so used to doing it. I've started training myself to use the release lever but... you know.

Anyhow, at least I know it's not just me who is/has having this issue.
it's not made to work like that.. so ..yes.. you will have a prob with rds jumping out of the mag and not working right...BETTER to have the gun work right..and work when you need it.. then to make a prob without a FIX!

(IF IT'S NOT BROKE..DONT FIX IT!)

·
Registered
32 Posts
FWIW - If the slide on my USP 45f is closed and I try to insert a loaded magazine, I have no choice but to insert the magazine with a fair amount of pressure. If the slide is open and I insert a loaded magazine, it goes in like it's coated with Vaseline, I press the slide release and I'm good to go.

Now this hasn't been a problem unless I want to carry with a bullet in the chamber AND carry a fully loaded magazine - a choice I've avoided so far.

I've never pressed the mag release while loading, perhaps I'll try that and let you know what happens.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've never had to slam a magazine in with a closed chamber that would cause enough force to knock a round out of the magazine. Sure a little harder than normal but the force required to knock the slide release up and/or a round out of the chamber is just excessive and an unreliable, and i'd even go as far to say possibly unsafe way of handing your weapon.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Newer USP models aren't made to automatically release the slide, so unless you have an early model it may be better to try something different.

In my experience, the slide release is pretty conveniently designed (even for lefties) and chances are you're adding more "travel" distance instead of keeping the gun close to proper sight picture during mag change. Just my 2 cents on speed drills.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a KF date code... 1995... so I don't know where the "cut-off" production date is. When I bought the thing, the dealer was who showed me that you can insert the mag (with slight force) and have the slide close automatically. I've also seen this done many times at several different ranges by people shooting USP's so I never gave it another thought that perhaps this "feature" was NOT by HK design.

In the end, I guess I may just have to keep training myself to use the slide release lever since clearing a stovepiped mag adds more time to the clock than hitting the release lever :)

Thanks for all the input everyone.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I'm going to revive this old-ass thread of mine. Can anyone offer any additional insight? I have 3 USP's now and all three will auto-release the slide but only my 40 seems to stovepipe if I send the mag home to hard. The 9 and 45 do not.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Probably your .40 mag has weak feed lips. Take in mind that USP slide catch engagement is designed to prevent auto-release, so USP need more force to execute auto-release, that other HK pistols.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Probably your .40 mag has weak feed lips. Take in mind that USP slide catch engagement is designed to prevent auto-release, so USP need more force to execute auto-release, that other HK pistols.

This ^^^.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have found that in my USPc .40 its more important to have the correct angle when inserting the magazine to achieve the tactical reload. If it is not at the correct angle it takes much more force to release the slide. Try tipping the pistol up just a bit and then insert your magazine. Works for me every time. No stovepipes.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have 3 mag for my 40... all three do it. My USPc45 does it too, but does not stovepipe, yet. My USP9 /w JetFunnel does it too, but so far has only stovepiped once. I don't baby my guns. I do take care of them, but they are guns and I use them as such. If the auto-slide release is not a "feature" then HK needs to address it as everyone I know who slams mags into their USP has the slide auto-release. But for some reason, my 40 experiences stovepipes.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
None of my USPs stovepipe when I do that. I just tried to make it happen several times with each of them. They are all 45s though.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Hey CK, took out my USP .40 Tactical to see if I could replicate your problem. Here are my findings. First off, used 3 different manufacturers of ammo; USAammo FMJ, Federal Champion FMJ, and Federal Low Recoil JHP. Filled the each of the mags to the top. First go round I used my 5 jet funnel mags twice through. All sent the slide home and chambered the top round, no stovepipes or any malfunctions. Took the Jet funnel off and used my remaining 2 standard 13rd mags 3 times each. Slide went forward and chambered a round all but once. Mag actually unseated and round nosedived into the feedramp. This was one of my original mags that came with the gun and has seen much use. So except for the one hiccup, no problems in my USP .40 Tactical, and no stovepipes like you mentioned. Ok, just tried using only 1 round in the mag with all mags. Slammed each mag home once and the slide did not release once. So then I tried slamming the mags in 3 or 4 times each. Still the slide did not go home. However, the round did eventually pop straight out on each of the mags. Usually after the 4th try.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey CK, took out my USP .40 Tactical to see if I could replicate your problem. Here are my findings. First off, used 3 different manufacturers of ammo; USAammo FMJ, Federal Champion FMJ, and Federal Low Recoil JHP. First go round I used my 5 jet funnel mags twice through. All sent the slide home and chambered the top round, no stovepipes or any malfunctions. Took the Jet funnel off and used my remaining 2 standard 13rd mags 3 times each. Slide went forward and chambered a round all but once. Mag actually unseated and round nosedived into the feedramp. This was one of my original mags that came with the gun and has seen much use. So except for the one hiccup, no problems in my USP .40 Tactical, and no stovepipes like you mentioned.
THANK YOU for taking the time to test it out and post the results. I'm baffled at this point, but I'm starting to lean towards perhaps out of spec feed lips on my mags?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts