HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, have been lurking here for quite a while but now need a little advice. Quick summery I have a fullsize USP tactical .40 and a USP9SD that are both, hopefully soon, going to be hosts for Ospreys. My main question is should I switch them both to a heavier recoil spring in hopes of keeping the barrel in lock-up for as long as possible or do the stock springs work adequetly for suppression? Any experience somebody has with their suppressed USP would be great, I have read a complaint recently that someone with a USP9SD was having issues with his still being loud but obviously take all internet information with a grain of salt

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I have no problems using my USP9SD with a TiRant 45. The TiRant (and I'm sure the Osprey) have recoil boosters, also called Nielsen devices. They account for the problem you are speaking of. If you are shooting 9mm, make sure you use subsonic ammo because the difference is night and day in that caliber.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep, the boosters are already in hand. Thanks for the first hand experience skullbox, my 9 is also going to be shot through a 45 which I have already seen the results of...just not with a USP 9 host. I have a pretty good supply of 147gr 9mm and you can pretty much trip over 180gr .40 anywhere. Good to hear you have had no issues with the stock spring weight. I'm already 142 days pending so I may get to see how my 9 gets on relatively soon..ish.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Hi all, have been lurking here for quite a while but now need a little advice. Quick summery I have a fullsize USP tactical .40 and a USP9SD that are both, hopefully soon, going to be hosts for Ospreys. My main question is should I switch them both to a heavier recoil spring in hopes of keeping the barrel in lock-up for as long as possible or do the stock springs work adequetly for suppression? Any experience somebody has with their suppressed USP would be great, I have read a complaint recently that someone with a USP9SD was having issues with his still being loud but obviously take all internet information with a grain of salt
You will likely find that the relative recoil spring strength has little to do with keeping the slide closed DURING ACTUAL firing suppressed or unsuppressed. The key is that the suppressor is specially intended, developed for and compatible with your specific model pistol. If it is not properly designed and "tuned" it will adversely effect function and can/will cause serious damage to the frame locking inserts, barrel hood, slide and recoil spring guide rod. I have seen serious damage to USP45T's after less then 24 rounds fired because non-compatible cans were used. Check with and if possible get it in writing from the can maker that your can will work properly on that model pistol, and best case is covered by a warranty. That would save a lot of aggravation down stream.

USP45T's in tests at HK ran for 18,000 rounds without incident with the purpose-built KAC can before any issues arose and that was slight peening on the leading tip of the recoil spring guide rod (easily stones off) and a lame recoil spring. A new stock recoil spring was installed and the gun shot flawlessly to 24,000 rounds and the end of the test. A stronger spring would not have made a difference and it fact can upset the "balance" in an otherwise pretty complex "ballet" of interacting subsystems (can, pistol locking and counter recoil/buffer system and ammo). Smart designers like those at HK know what they are doing and consider all these factors during kinematic calculations early in the development cycle.

G3Kurz

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
My USP Tactical loves being shot suppressed. I haven't changed anything because nothing is broken and it works everytime I pull the trigger. The only problem I ever seem to have with my HK's is they just want to keep eating ammo and I don't have anymore to feed them. Hungry bastards.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
My USP Tactical loves being shot suppressed. I haven't changed anything because nothing is broken and it works everytime I pull the trigger. The only problem I ever seem to have with my HK's is they just want to keep eating ammo and I don't have anymore to feed them. Hungry bastards.
Hehe. They're like teenagers...always hungry and never clean up after themselves.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
You will likely find that the relative recoil spring strength has little to do with keeping the slide closed DURING ACTUAL firing suppressed or unsuppressed. The key is that the suppressor is specially intended, developed for and compatible with your specific model pistol. If it is not properly designed and "tuned" it will adversely effect function and can/will cause serious damage to the frame locking inserts, barrel hood, slide and recoil spring guide rod. I have seen serious damage to USP45T's after less then 24 rounds fired because non-compatible cans were used. Check with and if possible get it in writing from the can maker that your can will work properly on that model pistol, and best case is covered by a warranty. That would save a lot of aggravation down stream.

USP45T's in tests at HK ran for 18,000 rounds without incident with the purpose-built KAC can before any issues arose and that was slight peening on the leading tip of the recoil spring guide rod (easily stones off) and a lame recoil spring. A new stock recoil spring was installed and the gun shot flawlessly to 24,000 rounds and the end of the test. A stronger spring would not have made a difference and it fact can upset the "balance" in an otherwise pretty complex "ballet" of interacting subsystems (can, pistol locking and counter recoil/buffer system and ammo). Smart designers like those at HK know what they are doing and consider all these factors during kinematic calculations early in the development cycle.

G3Kurz
Which is why I bit the bullet (as it were) and bought the KAC suppressors for my Mark 23 and Tactical. I would rather only cry once.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts