HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new USP tactical .45 that has the adjustable target sights. I would like to have a set of night sights installed here sometime soon. I would like to hear from those that have done the same and if you went with the adjustable night sights or the fixed and why? There doesn't seem to be alot of options for the tactical in sights or holsters. Thanks.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I've always been on the fence about changing the sights on my tac. if I was to dole out the cash, I would go for the meps, basically the same as the factory adjustable, just with tritium vials.

as soon as funds allow, I WILL be getting a can for my tac, so I would stick with the tall sights. plus, I think the giant sights look bad ass.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Meprolight ML21516
Item: 2-MPL21516
I think these are the adjustable Night sights for the Tactical and Expert. Keeps the same profile, if you are looking to use a can in the future.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you ever sold it (blasphemy), it would help resale value going with the same style adjustable night sights. It defeats the purpose of putting fixed sights on a Tactical.

·
Registered
72 Posts
On my Tactical, I did a "semi" swap-out. I kept the factory adjustable rear sight, and replaced the front sight with a USP45 Tactical sight from Heinie. Works great...I'm a huge fan of a 1-dot set-up, and it kinda' matches the rear sight more than the factory one, since it is serrated...

I think Ameriglo makes suppressor-height sights, as well...

·
Registered
232 Posts
I too went with the adjustable Meps....couldn't be happier!

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,393 Posts
Combat pistols should have fixed sights. Period.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Combat pistols should have fixed sights. Period.
That works until you toss on a can, or change loads that have different POI than POA. I'd say combat pistols should hit what they are aimed at, and the sights should allow this. Period.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
azimuth, how big are your hands that you have to use a Hogue hand-all on a USP .45 full-size?? I have one on my USP CT but that's because it's an appreciably smaller grip than the USPf (which fit my hands perfectly).

I'm still debating getting suppressor sights on my Tactical since it only came with the regular fixed sights (2007 date code). Sights are on the back burner, though, until my NFA trust is finished setting up and I send off my ATF paperwork and $200 for a suppressor.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
t
azimuth, how big are your hands that you have to use a Hogue hand-all on a USP .45 full-size?? I have one on my USP CT but that's because it's an appreciably smaller grip than the USPf (which fit my hands perfectly).

I'm still debating getting suppressor sights on my Tactical since it only came with the regular fixed sights (2007 date code). Sights are on the back burner, though, until my NFA trust is finished setting up and I send off my ATF paperwork and $200 for a suppressor.
Yeah, I have large hands. Mrs Az says they are "meaty". I like the Hogues because they give the grip a palm swell. To aid in slipping it on and preventing movement, I squirt a little hair spray on the grip before sliding the Houge on. When the hairspray dries, it glues the grip into place. Being water soluble, it can be removed easily later.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
When I bought my OD Tactical .45, it had fixed 3 dot MMC sights on it, I went back to the original factory adjustable set up since I wanted to keep the pistol in 'original configuration' . If I were to go night sights, I would get the ones posted in the pictures above from Meprolight. Picture with the MMC sights on it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I went with the Meprolight adjustables as well. I believe they are the only option for adjustable night sights that will decently clear a suppressor on the USP-T. My only negative feedback for them is that the finish on them isn't the best and doesn't match the USP finish and the front sight post isn't as tall as the original sights. The front sight post also doesn't extend to the end of the slide like the factory one does. The shorter front sight post however, does reduce the chances of snagging, makes the gun easier to holster/unholster. Here are some reference pictures with the meprolights ligned up with a ti-rant 45 suppressor and factory sight post side by side.

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,393 Posts
That works until you toss on a can, or change loads that have different POI than POA. I'd say combat pistols should hit what they are aimed at, and the sights should allow this. Period.
That doesn't mean fixed sights cant be aimed over a can. Heinine has a that are tall enough for a can made for USP.

Realistically speaking, how much can we expect POA/POI to change over realistic self defensive distances?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
That doesn't mean fixed sights cant be aimed over a can. Heinine has a that are tall enough for a can made for USP.

Realistically speaking, how much can we expect POA/POI to change over realistic self defensive distances?
I'm not saying fixed sights can't be aimed over the can, not at all.

Realistically speaking, most guns will NEVER be employed as defensive pieces. When folks get cans, they do so for recreational shooting first; it's nice to be able to fine tune things with adjustable sights and have the gun zeroed where you want it to be. Nothing more annoying than trying to clean a plate rack at 35 yards and not hitting because your sights are off. You would agree that guns, especially those pressed into potential defensive duty, should be precise though right? This is part of the reason we buy what we believe is the best with the HK brand. When adding things that effect the POA/POI it is my belief that we should have the ability to correct and make sure those things (POA/POI) stay the same.

Just because the gun is a "combat pistol" as you would say, does not mean it gives up being a recreational item for most shooters.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts