HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a crazy idea so here it goes..

I have a full-size USP Tactical in .40, love it!! I'm thinking of having a gunsmith cut the threaded end of the barrel off so the barrel will just be sticking out a few millimetres from the slide. He will re-crown the barrel. Anyone every try this? Did it effect the function of the pistol? Where I live I can't ever use a silencer and I think the pistol will look nice with the threaded end gone, although it is a very sweet looking pistol already.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
You could probably accomplish the same thing for no charge by offering to trade someone here for their non-threaded USP barrel. Jus' sayin'

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm worried that the slight loss of weight with the threaded area cut off would effect the pistols cycling, but I guess its to small or amount to really make a difference. I want to keep the tactical barrel because of the O ring.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Why not just buy a Standard USP Barrel? By time you have a real gunsmith cut & crown the barrel, you could buy a new one...just thinking out loud here ...

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
This may be a crazy idea so here it goes..

Where I live I can't ever use a silencer and I think the pistol will look nice with the threaded end gone, although it is a very sweet looking pistol already.

Cheers
Keep the threaded barrel as it is; you could find yourself in a state that does allow a silencer someday.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Why? Just pick up a standard barrel and don't throw cash toward ruining the tactical barrel.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
If you leave enough to clear the slide while it's in battery and get the right crown work put on it. ........put a standard barrel in it and sell the Tactical barrel

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
623 Posts
Would the pistol function properly with the barrel cut down?
Yes, it will function fine.

The accuracy improvement from the O-ring will probably never be noticed.

I would not cut the barrel down. If you have to have a barrel crowned, get a new regular barrel...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok. the overwhelming consensus is to get a standard barrel. I'll go this route. And obviously the standard barrel can drop right in without any fitting?

If you leave enough to clear the slide while it's in battery and get the right crown work put on it. ........put a standard barrel in it and sell the Tactical barrel

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Ok. the overwhelming consensus is to get a standard barrel. I'll go this route. And obviously the standard barrel can drop right in without any fitting?
I would sure think so. Find the P/N of the barrel you need and Google it. You might be surprised where you find one.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Yes its a drop in piece, as long as its made by HK.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts