HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I am a newbie, and need some input... Am I correct in saying that if you live in california, that I can not buy or own a USP .40/.45 tactical in this state ?? And if so, is the USP EXPERT .40/.45 the next best alternative ?? This will be my first hand gun, and I want to get the "right" gun the first time around. It will be used for home defense and target. Where would be the best place to find one of these guns for sale ?? How much should I expect to pay ?? What would be a good deal on this gun ?? Last question is, and I know this is a HK forum, but How does this gun compare to a XD .40/.45..

Is this a good event to look for a pistol ??

Mar 24-25 Costa Mesa, Orange County Fairgrounds Crossroads of the West

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey Newbie! Welcome aboard. Last time I checked the USP Tactical is illegal in CA, because of the threaded barrel.

Here's the Dept. Of Justice Approved Handgun list that you should look into:
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

As a new shooter, I'd first try one out before you buy it. Do a lot of searching here and you should find a comparison. If not, check out the XD website. As for buying one at an affordable price, call and search around for a price check. Internet gun sales are cheaper so you don't have to pay any taxes if it's outside of CA, BUT you need to find an FFL dealer and pay the additonal DROS/transfer fees.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm so pissed about the no tactical thing...... I know that if you move out of state and purchase it and then move back to CA, you can attempt to register it as an assault weapon and be granted a 'special permit' to own it and use it in CA(see penal code 12286). This may be what I end up doing... although it isn't too likely that the permit will be issued... not sure about that one... but I'm reading that it isn't too likely(see How to own a Gun and Stay out of Jail by John Machtinger, JD)

I just left CA a year ago to join the Army and am in Germany with a tactical on order. The other option is to bring it in having bought a non threaded barrel... not sure if you can do this as a current resident, but I would like to see what happens with it. It's worth a try... the Tac is an awesome weapon.

See this site for the barrel making the Tac a CA legal weapon:

http://www.ccfa.com/HK_O-Ring Barrels.htm

I am throwing in a comment here.... the above site shows the type of product that you need to get, but ccf is no longer handling them per Larry the owner. I just got off the phone with him. Still, the site is a good informational forum and has instructions on how to fit barrels with tight tolerances such as the HK tactical and USP. If you take a USP 45 barrel and polish it down a bit per his instructions on that site(5 minutes of work) then you'll have a CA legal firearm.

Good luck and good choice. My carry gun in CA was a USP Compact 45 and my wife carried the p2000 40. Sweet firearms.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Yeah it sucks. I know. I really want a Tactical too!

If you live close to me I'll let you shoot my USP .45 Expert if you meet me at a range.

I'm in Los Angeles.

·
Registered
238 Posts
You won't get granted a special assault weapon permit...ain't gonna happen!

·
Registered
7 Posts
You won't get granted a special assault weapon permit...ain't gonna happen!
Well...maybe if you are like Sly Stalone or something!! :)

There are only a handful of permits actually issued and most are to class III delaers for LE or defense arms contractors.

The really cool cats have class III weapons from BEFORE there was law against owning them in CA. I know of a retired dentist in northern CA who has a SBR Ruger mini-14 coverted to a full auto trigger pack from back in the day. The CA DOJ guys hate the dact that some of these guns are still legally owned by CA residents... Makes me warm and fuzzy inside personally ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
well i think if youre in the military and stationed out of state you can buy it since you are a temporary resident of that state. I'm buying one before I get out of the army before I move to cali.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dream on....

Unless you have been a major contributer to a prominant politician in CA your chances of legally importing or owning a USP Tactical in Peoples Republik of Kalifornia is nil. You guys haven't heard about the Walther P22 fiasco that was pulled by the CA DOJ. FYI, if the CA DOJ considers the Walther P22 an "Assault Weapon" and required all CA subjects who had legally purchased them to send them to S&W to be retrofitted with a non-removable barrel or face a felony possession of an Assault Weapons charge, what chance do you think you'll have bringing a USP Tactical in CA?

There are very few legally owned USP Tacticals in CA by very lucky civilians. The USP Tactical was distributed just a couple of months before the CA restriction took effect and I am one of the few that lucked out. I love my USP Tactical, and really ticked off that I had to register it as an "Assault Weapon", but at least I get to keep it.... for now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How about the USP Elite.

USP 45 Elite will do all that the Tactical does, and the barrel is 6" with the o ring feature. Do you really need a threaded barrel mounted on the "imported" gun. If it matters Elite's high front sight make it hard to holster....
While in Germany bring a Elite slide and barrel, check what serial number they care for, slide, frame, barrel... They work on the same frame. Do something or you will be missing out a lot of fun. I let go of my Elite when my arm can't hold it anymore.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Get an Expert, 5 point something inch barrel and the "o" ring barrel. Match trigger and adjustable sights make it a great shooter. Oh and the extra inch on the fullsize makes it look cooler, opposed to goofy on the 6inch Elite.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is possible to buy a tactial or mk 23 if you buy it from a private party and the threads are removed. They are rare but there are a few floating around. I just broke down and bought a expert. I know of someone who has both for sale, but is 7 hours away and will not travel to meet me. if you really want one just keep your eyes open and be paitent.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Wow that's a bit interesting... NY and NYC have banned threaded barrels, but we have multiple confirmations from users as well as NYPD's Licensing division that if you have the thread protector on it (and never put anything on those threads), it's legal and will pass the required NYPD inspection to get it on your license. Maybe possibly check with one of the licensing divisions in CA to see if this is the case? I can't image CA being tougher than NYC... We can't even have more than 5 round rifles/shottys or pistol grips on any long barrelled gun. Also anything even resembling an AR-15 is banned in NYC. LOL At least you guys get to have the clones. :p

·
Registered
28 Posts
OWING 45 TACTICAL IN CA

I OWN A 45 TACTICAL AND LIVE IN CA. I CHECKED WITH A LOT OF PEOPLE BEFORE I DECIDED. IF YOU USE A THREAD PROTECTOR IT HAS TO BE ATTACHED SO YOU CAN'T TAKE IT OFF. SOLUTION, JUST TAKE AND PUT A SMALL TIG WELD SO IT CAN'T BE REMOVED. I BOUGHT A SCREW ON COMP. THAT WAS ONLY $30. IT WAS WELL MADE AND REALLY HELPS WITH THE RECOIL. IT CAME WITH ITS OWN O-RINGS AND FITS GREAT. IT WAS WELL MACHINED AND LOOKS GREAT. I FOUND IT ON EBAY. THE GENTLEMANS NAME IS BOB WAGNER AND HIS EMAIL IS [email protected]. CHECK HIM OUT.
KAISER-MAN

·
Registered
43 Posts
Kaiser-man,

I am confused with your post. If you weld a thread protector to the USP Tactical barrel you will not be able to field strip the pistol, something I would not suggest. Also, if you welded the thread protector to the barrel how do you screw on the Muzzle Break Compensator? You say you own a Tactical, is it properly registered with the state as an "assault weapon", or did you purchase it after the deadline and removed the offending characteristics of the firearm?

·
Registered
25 Posts
You Legally Cannot Bring That Tactical Pistol Here To CA. As Of 2000. It Sucks That They Call It An Assualt Rifle. Is It Funny That There Are According To The ATF Over 13,000 legally Registered Machine Guns Are In This State. As Of 2006.This Was Posted In The Small Arms Review Magazine.

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
What in the world are you guys talking about. The Tactical or Mark 23 is not considered an assault weapon by name. Yes, by "features" it is in this state. Simple solution, replace the barrel with a USP .45 full size barrel or buy a separate barrel, send it to Randall (AR15barrels.com) and have the threads removed. Done. Yes, the handgun is off roster but if someone moving into this state wanted to bring their tactical in simply do one of the previously mentioned two things and you're good to go. I bought my .40 Tactical, .45 Tactical, and Mark 23 from people moving into this state (enlistments).

·
Registered
3 Posts
What in the world are you guys talking about. The Tactical or Mark 23 is not considered an assault weapon by name. Yes, by "features" it is in this state. Simple solution, replace the barrel with a USP .45 full size barrel or buy a separate barrel, send it to Randall (AR15barrels.com) and have the threads removed. Done. Yes, the handgun is off roster but if someone moving into this state wanted to bring their tactical in simply do one of the previously mentioned two things and you're good to go. I bought my .40 Tactical, .45 Tactical, and Mark 23 from people moving into this state (enlistments).
Is owning the barrel illegal, even if it's not in the gun? Do they require people to destroy the barrel? The laws seem to indicate we get the choice to destroy the gun, turn it over to authorities (so they can probably sell it or use it themselves), or get the AR permit. Since there is no way to install a 'bullet button' on a pistol, I'm curious if simply owning accessories but not installing them on a gun is considered illegal.

·
Registered
390 Posts
God if u don't live in California please don't give bad info on the laws. As mentioned u can own a mk23 or USP tactical. Just swap out the barrel for a non threaded one, and ur fine. U can own the threaded barrel but u just can't install it. No constructive possession charges for that. The issue is trying to get one into California. U will have to single shot exempt it or move into the state with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts