HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a new Wolff 14 lbs. recoil spring for my USP Tactical (KK date code, bought it used, on very rare occasions it doesn't quite return to battery so I figured this is an easy potential fix). I removed the old recoil spring and it is about an inch shorter than the new one. Is the Tactical's recoil spring different from a regular USP's in length (or anything else I'm not thinking of) or is the old spring just that compressed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The Tactical is essentially a USP45 with a threaded barrel, adjustable sights and match trigger. The recoil springs should be the same so my guess is the old recoil spring has just taken a set or maybe the Wolff spring is just longer than the factory spring. Others more knowledgeable than I will no doubt chime in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. The reason I was a little suspicious was in case the Tactical's spring is different for better performance with a suppressor attached, but it does seem unlikely.

I installed the new spring and wow, it's noticeably more difficult to rack the slide. The new spring is 14 lbs, factory standard, the old one must have really been worn out.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
The USP .45 Tactical has a different part number for the recoil guide rod assembly, from
a standard USP .45 pistol. (I dont know whats different, the rod or spring)

The guide rod assembly for Tactical .40sw/standard USP .40sw are the same part number/s

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
HK has said on numerous occasions that the Tac 45 and the USP 45 use different recoil springs. But you will also notice that the Tac 45 and the Expert and Elite 45 all use the same springs. I am not sure if it is stronger, weaker, or what, but it is different. HK did say the reason was for suppressor use. I am assuming it may be weaker since it uses the same spring as the Expert and Elite which have heavier slides, and because all approved HK suppressors use recoil boosters.
Real world, I doubt it matters much, especially if you don't suppress. Larry at CCF was selling threaded barrels for suppression and he always used the standard USP recoil spring and never had any problems. By the way, his suppressors were initially licensed B&T, Impulse II, and were approved for use by HK.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Everyone stay calm, this is a thread jacking...

Does anyone know if the uspct uses the same recoil spring as the uspc45 then?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.