HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my first H&K (USP) variant 1 last year and am a left hand shooter. I'm sorry if this thread has been discussed in detail before. I tried searching, but had no idea where to start. I've seen things about getting a variant 2 control lever (or something of the sort), but would think the safety would also have to be relocated. PLEASE help me out on this is you have any knowledge on the subject. Thank you in advance...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,250 Posts
I've seen things about getting a variant 2 control lever (or something of the sort), but would think the safety would also have to be relocated...
USP V1 and V2 pertains solely to placement of the safety/decocker lever.



Standard USP V1 has the lever on the left side of the pistol for a right handed shooter. USP V2 has the lever on the right side of the pistol for a left handed shooter.

What you need to convert V1 to V2 is the V2 (left handed, right side) control lever. The same V1 detent plate is used, however, the detent plate may need to be modified slightly to ensure smooth operation of the decocking function.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
I know this is a really old thread but I've just installed the variant 2 control lever on my variant 1 because I am a lefty and yes the de-cocker does not work. Does anyone know what on the detent plate needs to be modified?

Thanks,
Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,641 Posts
Your current V1+2 Detent Plate is the correct one. You just need to remove the detent plate and lube it well (on both sides). It takes a little effort for the V2 because the lever is on the opposite side of the detent plate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I've tried lubing the detent plate. I've taken it out several times. If I push the plate down with a screwdriver I can get
The lever to move to decock. I tried cycling it this way 20 or so times but just using the control lever I can't get it to work. I may try to smooth out the ramp but I'll try that with another detent plate. I put it back together with the variant 1 lever and all is good. Kind of a drag though that it doesn't work!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,086 Posts
I'm a lefty too and put the ambi decocker on my full size and compact usp's. They both work fine but you end up with one on each side which I figure is good in case my wife ever has to use it. Hope you get it figured out, it was a pain for me but admittedly I am no gunsmith!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
I recently converted 2 Usp's and my HK45 pistol from a V1 to an ambi set up. After the install the right side lever would not decock. I had to use the left side lever a few times then I was good to go with the right side lever. Even then I had to work that lever on the right side many times to get it to start working smoothly. Try it again. As a lefty it finally feels the pistol fits you when the right side lever is there. Try it again man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,641 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I've tried lubing the detent plate. I've taken it out several times. If I push the plate down with a screwdriver I can get
The lever to move to decock. I tried cycling it this way 20 or so times but just using the control lever I can't get it to work. I may try to smooth out the ramp but I'll try that with another detent plate. I put it back together with the variant 1 lever and all is good. Kind of a drag though that it doesn't work!
I would try polishing the side of the detent plate where it meets the frame and put a little grease on it. 2000-grit sandpaper works best and just do a few passes until the surface is shiny. Grease works better than oil in some cases.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
I have installed several ambi's for my USPs. There does seem to be a little bit of fiddling necessary - but mostly as TooSixy has said, lubricate or check the interface of the parts. Working the slide back and forth a few times and performing a functions check of the decocker and safety a few times seems to do the trick for me. When I did a change out of a regular trigger for the match trigger on one of my USP's I made sure I cleaned all the parts really well, ie put them in an ultrasonic bath for about twenty minutes then when I reassembled everything I made sure I had everything re-lubricated and to my surprise I didn't have to go thru a few cycles of slide and functions check for things to work - so it sort of leads me to think that making sure things are nice and clean and then lubricated may be sufficient, assuming your re-assembly was correct.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top