HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - I've read all your posts about how great the new hk's are. Finally, I got to check them out at the range. Now, I own a USP 45 and a USPc in 9mm. What do I think of the new design? Well, they certainly feel better in the hand- I'll give them that. And of course, a better feeling grip can help you shoot better. However!!!, I still dislike EVERYTHING else about the new guns. Maybe I'm crazy, but the new design makes the gun look and feel like a lower quality weapon. It reminds me of how I felt when the Mercedes S class changed it's design in the 90's- sure it handled better- but now it was a piece of plastic on 4 wheels like every other car out there. It used to be built like a tank!

That's somewhat how I feel about the new guns. Look at their slides side by side- see the difference in the design. The overengineering is so obvious in the usp- it's a tank! The new design looks like a smith and wesson or something. It doesn't look the part- and it sure doesn't look like it's built to take the same beating the usp can take.

Now don't get me wrong - it shot great - just as well as my USP's - but it was just missing it's 'HKness'. Maybe I'm wrong but they just don't have character the older line has.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Outside the new HK45 is all new, INSIDE its all USP - and thats a good thing! :)

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73702
Like Kost stated, nothing has changed much except the exterior design.

Me I don't like the grip feel, nor do I like the way the slide feels as well. HK was smart enough to know, if it's not broken way fix it (on the inside).

I still own my first HK purchase, USP 45 the first year they came out. I've retired the BBL with a aftermarket BBL to save the original.

As HK is a corporation, bottom line being profit. Upgrading that line to match the younger generation is understandable, but to loose that nostalgia would definitely be a mistake... for an example, look at Glock (my issued weapon I hate so much).

·
Registered
173 Posts
i agree 100% sauce i have real big hands and it seems as if the usp was made for them. also if you want a 45 you have to settle for a 10 round mag weather you live in a "gun evil" state or not

·
Registered
311 Posts
i agree 100% sauce i have real big hands and it seems as if the usp was made for them. also if you want a 45 you have to settle for $45 10 round mag weather you live in a "gun evil" state or not
You left out a minor detail.

The USP mag is also $45, but holds 2 more rounds.

Its better because I feel like I'm getting 20% less of an ass rape with the USP mags.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Comparing the overall "quality" between the USP series and the P30/HK45 is a little bit amusing from my perspective. It's a lot like comparing the "quality" between old vs new Big Gulp cups at 7-Eleven. Although they both work and work well.

If you want to speak of a general decline in quality, I sincerely suggest you start with a better standard, like the P9S, P7 or the P210. Compared to those examples, anything along the lines of the USP/SOCOM/HK45/P30 will make their manufacturing shortcuts (and yes compromises) pretty obvious.

Every year that goes by, the "quality" gap between HK and Kel-Tek shinks a little bit.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Germanic,

While I am a huge fan of the P9s and, obviously, the P7. I don't think either are necessarily of any higher "quality." The P9s is a sheet metal frame with some molded plastic screwed on. The slide is also sheet metal folded over a block. Further, only the front sight is adjustable on the combat model.The internals are nicely machined, but it is clear that a lot of "cost-cutting" ideas went into the P9s. About the same time the firm put out the VP which was the ultimate in in cheap, a plastic blowback pistol with an 18 pound trigger and a crossbolt safety.

The P7, like the P9s, is extremely innovative, but the exteriors on P7 are rarely as nicely finished as USPs. Bob Cogan actually charges extra to refinish P7 because of all the tooling marks usually left on the exterior. None of this matters from a functional perspective, but it is interesting example of how HK has never concerned themselves with these issues.

HK is a engineering firm that focuses on military and police weapons. Inasmuch, they have always focused on refining and simplifying the manufacture of their weapons.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Times change.. much like the Mercedes analogy gun manufacturers have to adapt to what the current market wants and expects be it molded plastic bumpers or "high speed" looking handguns.
but I'll agree that with just about everything except medicine and computers (and women) "older" is almost always better than "newer".

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ok - I've read all your posts about how great the new hk's are. Finally, I got to check them out at the range. Now, I own a USP 45 and a USPc in 9mm. What do I think of the new design? Well, they certainly feel better in the hand- I'll give them that. And of course, a better feeling grip can help you shoot better. However!!!, I still dislike EVERYTHING else about the new guns. Maybe I'm crazy, but the new design makes the gun look and feel like a lower quality weapon. It reminds me of how I felt when the Mercedes S class changed it's design in the 90's- sure it handled better- but now it was a piece of plastic on 4 wheels like every other car out there. It used to be built like a tank!

That's somewhat how I feel about the new guns. Look at their slides side by side- see the difference in the design. The overengineering is so obvious in the usp- it's a tank! The new design looks like a smith and wesson or something. It doesn't look the part- and it sure doesn't look like it's built to take the same beating the usp can take.

Now don't get me wrong - it shot great - just as well as my USP's - but it was just missing it's 'HKness'. Maybe I'm wrong but they just don't have character the older line has.
THANK YOU! Its nice to know Im not the only one.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Times change.. much like the Mercedes analogy gun manufacturers have to adapt to what the current market wants and expects be it molded plastic bumpers or "high speed" looking handguns.
but I'll agree that with just about everything except medicine and computers (and women) "older" is almost always better than "newer".
Aww, you made the cougar cry.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
N6ATF,

Although I actually like Glocks (no where near as much as HK), here was my old slogan which I thought was cute...

In a world of compromise: Glock.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
I agree......HK is losing all the HKness, to be more generic. I suppose it'll appeal to more folks overall....but not me. I quit buying new pistols after the 2000 came out. Hate the decockers on the new pistols, and the blandness of the overall designs. Give me the old square USP's and unique designs preceeding. 2-cents, which means nothing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to disagree, perhaps then I am not a true HK fan and maybe I am the civ market they want with this gun. I feel like the quality is no different than the last generation and exceeds any pistol for the same price point. The performance matches custom built 1911s that cost $2grand. I have always liked the 1911s and Hipowers and have wanted the USP in .45 but the grip was a bit much. I would agree it's not worth the money if you already have a USP collection. For me atleast, the new one has a much better grip feel and sits lower in my hand. The slide is more contoured which has a pleasing appearance with the sight picture. The trigger on the new gun feels very close to the USP tactical series and it also has the o ring system to tighten the barrel to slide fit. In addition to a standard rail system. I like the approach instead of another 1911 clone like they're competitors.

I would agree that it's BS the mags have 10 rounds and are $50.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I waited 1.5 years before I bought my P30( I have owned a HK91) This was my 1st HK pistol. I have shot several of HKs- USP, Elite,P2000 and 2000sk. The slide on the P30 is made from billet steel. The barrel is the hardest rc available hammer forged. One of the best corrosion finishes. The gun shoots exellent. I have owned all other companies 9mm and they dont compare 2 my P30. Same HK durability/quality with new tech sleek design.

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
Every year that goes by, the "quality" gap between HK and Kel-Tek shinks a little bit.
WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!

I had a Kel-tec, and let me tell you HK is going to have slip a whole helluva lot more to be even close to the lack of quality of their firearms.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I waited 1.5 years before I bought my P30( I have owned a HK91) This was my 1st HK pistol. I have shot several of HKs- USP, Elite,P2000 and 2000sk. The slide on the P30 is made from billet steel. The barrel is the hardest rc available hammer forged. One of the best corrosion finishes. The gun shoots exellent. I have owned all other companies 9mm and they dont compare 2 my P30. Same HK durability/quality with new tech sleek design.
My 92F shot well. But no where near as well as my P30 does.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts