HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
This is my first post, but I've been reading the forums for a little while now. I must say that I am really impressed with everyone's knowledge here and this site has been a great way to pass the time between classes. With that said, I was hoping that I might be able to get some opinions regarding the USP and USPc. I'm mostly looking for individual feelings about each since I'm having a hard time deciding which one to get. I don't have the money to purchase both, right now anyway, since this will be my first sidearm. After reading all the posts that talk about people's persuasion regarding one, the other, or both, I still can't make up my mind.

A few things I figure I should post to give everyone an idea: I've fired both the full size and the compact (.40 S&W each) and find that they're both a real pleasure to shoot. I'm looking for concealed carry and while I know that might automatically shout "compact", I should note that I'm 6'3" 190lbs and have fairly large hands so the size of the USP isn't the biggest concern for me, at least when I'm holding it. I'm not sure how well I might be able to conceal it.

Once again, thanks so much for the great resource here and hopefully I haven't looked over any other thread that would answer my question.

·
Registered
134 Posts
In my opinion you can't go wrong with either. I have big hands also and don't have a problem handling a USPc, it is still a good sized gun. If you are planning on a .40 S&W I would also take a look at a P2000. Same round but a better gun for carry but if you are looking just for a straight up shooter to take to the range the USP is a better fit.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Too big...

You will find that while some members here do carry full size pistols, the majority carry compacts or subcompacts. Concealment is the goal here. I am 6'-2", 210lbs, and would never entertain the idea of carrying a full size USP.

HTH;

ARKAY

·
Registered
886 Posts
You will find that while some members here do carry full size pistols, the majority carry compacts or subcompacts. Concealment is the goal here. I am 6'-2", 210lbs, and would never entertain the idea of carrying a full size USP.

HTH;

ARKAY
The largest pistol I'll carry is one of my P7s. In the summer I tend to pack a Kahr PM9. It's just easier to conceal while wearing lightweight clothing. At 5'8" and a hefty 140 lbs my USPf is just too large to conceal and my USPc isn't much better. It amazes me when reading about guys packing a USP .45 Tactical. They are either very large men, or wear really baggy clothing. Concealment is the goal and your weapon choice is critical to that end. Bigger is not always better. You're right on the money ARKAY.

·
Registered
17 Posts
USPc, I carry it daily. I'm your size and it's just small enough. A USP full size is more of a LEO open carry weapon. As far as I'm concerned, the USPc is just as accurate. Be more concerned about your holster. I have the VM2 and it's perfect. But, I'm partial to the .45. If you are going with a smaller caliber, then the P2000 is your HK.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you

Thanks everyone for your replies... they're really helpful and I think I'm starting to get a good picture of what works and what doesn't. I'll be taking a look at the P2000 next time I get a chance (hopefully soon). By the way, since I've never actually fired anything chambered in .45, can anyone describe the difference between the push of .45 vs. the snap of .40? And considering concealed carry in this instance, would there be a greater difference between the two calibers as far as effectiveness goes for self defense? I only ask since the P2000 doesn't come in .45 and the USPc does. Thanks again.

·
Banned
16 Posts
I feel the .45 pushes and the .40 snaps more. I have .40's because they stop people as good or better than a .45 plus I get more rounds and they are cheaper. Living in CA you will have a few less rounds than I can have but 10+1 of .40 is more than 8+1 of .45.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Overall, I think the fullsize USP is superior to the USP Compact, once its in your hand and you are ready to fire.

1) Longer sight radius

2) More mass

3) Higher magazine capacity

4) Dual-spring recoil assembly

5) Will accept HK Match Trigger with overtravel stop

6) Longer barrel

Personally, I don't own a fullsize USP (even though I prefer them) because I opted to forego the above qualities in exchange for an overall size that would encourage me to concealed-carry more often. If I were a police officer, carrying openly, I would most certainly have chosen the fullsize USP instead. That much having been said however, I must say that my V1 USP Compact 45 and my V1 USP Compact 9mm are really EXCELLENT pistols in their own right, and I don't regret choosing them. . . it's just that I think the fullsize versions have the edge.

I would say that if you are equally comfortable concealed-carrying both the fullsize and the Compact, go for the fullsize! :)

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
. . . By the way, since I've never actually fired anything chambered in .45, can anyone describe the difference between the push of .45 vs. the snap of .40? And considering concealed carry in this instance, would there be a greater difference between the two calibers as far as effectiveness goes for self defense? I only ask since the P2000 doesn't come in .45 and the USPc does. Thanks again.
To me, the difference between firing the .40 S&W and the .45 ACP is that the explosion is noticeably less violent with the 45. The 40 is a relatively high-pressure round, generating chamber pressures of around 33,000 psi. The 45, by contrast, is usually more on the order of about 20,000 psi.

As far as which caliber is more effective for self-defense, the edge usually goes to the one which makes the bigger hole. :)

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
. . . I only ask since the P2000 doesn't come in .45 and the USPc does. Thanks again.
The P2000 also cannot be carried "cocked and locked" for what that may be worth to you.

Aaaand it has the same tradeoffs that the USP Compacts have compared with the fullsize USP.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Decision?

I own the USPC .45 and the SK in .40, my favorite shooter is the USPC. For summer and and liht clothing, the SK

·
Registered
46 Posts
The P2000 also cannot be carried "cocked and locked" for what that may be worth to you.

Aaaand it has the same tradeoffs that the USP Compacts have compared with the fullsize USP.
You might have a point there, but USP/USPc is not a M1911A1. They have enormous differences as far as ergonomics and handling are concerned.

As regards to caliber, 9mm may just be 1% to 2% inferior to the .45acp. There are a lot of good 9mm defense ammo out there. Just use the search function.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts