HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an HK USP 40 v.7 full size and am having some issues with accuracy. It's stamped "AD" which I believe is a 2003 and has Meprolite Tru Dots on it. I picked the gun up 3 weeks ago and put 350 rounds through it over the course of the first week end and 150 the next and I just couldn't find consistency at all with it. The shots were scattered about 8 inches all over the target like buckshot at about 20 yards. I called up H&K and they assured me that there is nothing wrong with the pistol as long as it is not malfunctioning but I could send it in if I want. He asked if I am new to firearms which I am not. I've carried my P226 or Kimber Team Match II daily for the last 4 years and absolutely LOVE both and both do excellent with nice groups(some touching with the T.M. II) out to 25 yards. He went on to tell me that I'm, "just not used to the mile long DAO trigger pull of my USP" and that I'll just have to get used to. He said it is very common for people not used to the DAO pull of the USP variant 7's to have very sporadic groupings until they get used to it. Which I do admit, compared to my Sig and Kimber, the trigger on this thing made me feel as though I had never shot a gun before.

So my question is, is there a lot of truth to what he says about getting used to the DAO v.7's as far as accuracy goes? And if so, what am I doing wrong or different and how could it possibly be corrected? OR, could it possibly be a case of "the arrow and not the indian?" Any specific things I should look/check for on the gun? Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
He is correct. It takes a couple of hundred rounds to get used to the LEM (aka V7) trigger. I assume that you have never shot the LEM trigger before? The proper way to aim, is to line up your sight with the target, pull back the trigger until you hit the break point, line up the sights with the target, then pull the trigger. Do not release the trigger all the way after the shot, but instead, release it far enough until it resets, then line up the sights, and pull again. That's, in a nutshell, is how you shoot the LEM trigger.

Once you're used to the LEM trigger, your groups will improve.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is correct. It takes a couple of hundred rounds to get used to the LEM (aka V7) trigger. I assume that you have never shot the LEM trigger before? The proper way to aim, is to line up your sight with the target, pull back the trigger until you hit the break point, line up the sights with the target, then pull the trigger. Do not release the trigger all the way after the shot, but instead, release it far enough until it resets, then line up the sights, and pull again. That's, in a nutshell, is how you shoot the LEM trigger.

Once you're used to the LEM trigger, your groups will improve.
I have never shot the LEM trigger before. I have been lining up the sights, pulling the trigger all the way back until it fires and then releasing the trigger all the way. I am heading out back tomorrow and will definitely give what you described a try and let you know how it goes. Thank you for your time, sir.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree with TooSixy. Hold the trigger back after the shot and slowly release until you feel it click and reset. Practice dry firing a lot. Just remember to fully rack the slide to reset the trigger each time. Dry firing is always good practice but more so when learning with the LEM. I personally find it easier to do double taps and triple taps with the LEM trigger than with the DA/SA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was in fact ME and not the GUN! Put 400 rounds through the pipe yesterday. After practicing for HOURS the night before what TooSixy and El Torero suggested, I was already noticing improvement after the first 26 rounds! By 200 rounds at 10 yards I was grouping around 2.5", and by the end of the day, 4 shot groups were almost touching at 25 yards!! I was seriously considering trading the gun off until yesterday. Now, it is definitely a keeper! Also, I have a picture of a couple nice(my words) 4 shot groups. Should I post it here or in the Range Report section?

Thank you all for your help!! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts