HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought my first handgun (USP45) and I will be able to pick it up in a few days. I'm happy with my decision but I'm a little interested in learning more about what people do to modify them. I'm going to be getting really well acquainted with the gun as it sits right now before I even attempt to add anything to it. I hear a lot of people talking about night sights, lasers, tactical lights, stainless slides, jet funnels etc. etc. What are my choices? What are the possibilities? Who makes the best equipment?

I chose this gun over a Glock21 because it fit my hand perfectly, but it cost me about 300 dollars more. After fees and tax all that good stuff it was about 950 bucks. Is that about right or did I pay too much? I bought it locally from a very well known shop. Regardless, I am not going to skimp out on it in the least after paying that much for it. What grain do you guys prefer and why? What brand of ammo do you prefer? I will probably use walmart rounds just to practice but I want nice ammunition to keep at the house. And as far as the accessories go, who makes the nicest, most reliable and well-built equipment? I have seen an ebay laser sight go for 50 bucks, and I have seen the BA-6 for 330 bucks and the TLR-2 streamlight for 240. What have people used with good success?

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you don't have night sights and a couple extra mags for range use, I'd start there. Most of my weapons for duty or concealment wear MeproLight, their reasonable priced, have larger and brighter dots, and are just plain a rugged sight. I found that I like the colored rear (yellow) versus 3 green dots, the front dot always remains green. Jet funnels are out on the 45 unless you have someone fabricate one for you, they are factory parts for the smaller framed 40s and 9s. Check CDNN for 10 round mags with the tactical floorplate. I have picked up 4 at $19.99 each, that's a steal compared to others charging upwards for twice that amount.

Ammo, I like the 230 Grain loads from Remington Golden Saber, Speer Gold Dot, and Winchester Ranger SXT. They have a superior core/jacket bonding where they shouldn't fall apart under most circumstances and allow for enhanced barrier penetration. Check www.ammunitiontogo.com for good prices and a wide variety of choices in all calibers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree. Extra magazines and good sights are the most important additions.

I was able to find four 10 round mags for a total of $63 including shipping for brand new HK mags - that was a very good deal.

I also put on TruGlo TFO sights with the green front and yellow rear. This is my first set of TFO's so I'm curious to see how well they hold up, but I can tell you that in the daylight they are very bright and in low/no light conditions they look like most other night sights, but perhaps just a tad smaller dot. I do like this color combination though.

The next step for you might be a good holster and belt - there are many posts on that subject as well.

At this time I'm still carrying Federal 230 Hydro-Shok's - I'm a bit 'Old School'.

Oh, seems like you paid plenty. My USP 45f has a SS slide and I paid $505 for it on GunBroker.com with two mags and it was in like new condition, but no box or case.

Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Based on the prices I have seen online, 950 is only slightly higher than what I could get for. I wanted a brand new weapon that was never fired.

I am going to buy a couple more mags, maybe 4 if I get a good deal on them. What are my options in terms of night sights? I saw the ghost/circle sight and that looks like it would work very well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Based on the prices I have seen online, 950 is only slightly higher than what I could get for. I wanted a brand new weapon that was never fired.

I am going to buy a couple more mags, maybe 4 if I get a good deal on them. What are my options in terms of night sights? I saw the ghost/circle sight and that looks like it would work very well.
Whoops, I didn't realize you purchased 'Brand New'. You probably did all right then. I've bought two USP 45f and both were slightly used.

$19.95 probably isn't a bad price for the mags. I happened to buy mine on GunBroker.com from Joe's Pawn Shop and negotiated a price for four - $62 shipped. He still has some listed and maybe you should check that out. They are brand new HK brand magazines - I was very pleased with the magazines and their service.

·
Registered
100 Posts
congrats on the purchase. I think for California, you did pretty well price-wise. It's tough in your state, you gotta take whatever you can get.

As far as accessories, you should probably get night sights. Lots of brands out there, Trijicon/Meprolight/MMC/Ameriglo/TruGlo. A weaponlight is handy, but you'll most likely need to get a rail adapter (because the universal rail on the USP is anything but universal). That's basically it.

Don't bother getting a SS slide (it'll cost you a fortune anyway), you're in CA so no threaded barrels. Jet funnels are useless to you since you're limited to 10 rds anyway. A holster might be nice, but if you can't CCW then it's a lot less important. Some people dig lasers, but it's not a necessary item.

Really though, all you need is ammo and range time. You might want to look into local shooting matches and training classes as well.

oh, we need pics too. :cool:

·
Registered
66 Posts
The USP doesn't lend itself well to many mod's like Glocks do. They aren't as popular as Glocks, or as flawed! (I still own a Glock 17L that I like a lot)

Heinie night sights, extra mags and a case of CCI Blazer Brass are all you need.

The 230 grain Blazer Brass FMJ has proven to be the most accurate factory load for me. I've had several groups under 5" at 50 yards with it.

Save your brass even if you don't handload. Once fired, same headstamp .45acp brass is highly prized, and the right guy will pay well for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts