HKPRO Forums banner

USP45 magazines cracking

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  bhp9 
#1 ·
I have 2 usp45 full size magazines that are cracked at the weld on the back top of the magazine. If you look closely to the left of witness hole 2 you can see the weld is broken. This is the second magazine that this has happened to.
This is causing "stove piping". Has anyone had this problem or am I doing something to cause this?
Finger Gadget Rectangle Font Wood

See less See more
#7 ·
Thanks for the responses. I use the usp45 for bowling pin shoots and never drop the magazine to the ground. I only started looking at the magazine's closely when I was getting stove pipe malfunctions with certain magazines and found the cracks.
Guess I'll call HK CS and see what they say.

#8 ·
Thanks for the responses. I use the usp45 for bowling pin shoots and never drop the magazine to the ground. I only started looking at the magazine's closely when I was getting stove pipe malfunctions with certain magazines and found the cracks.
Guess I'll call HK CS and see what they say.
my educated guess says that HK will say that mags are disposable items that should be replaced after prolonged use if they are old. Kind of like brakes belts and hoses on cars.

the optimistic side of me says HK will replace them because they have great customer service which I hope they do.

personally if they were mine I would relegate them to range use and purchase new mags for carry and competition.

#11 ·
Those cracks usually happen when the mags are dropped on solid ground, but can also happen just from heavy usage (high round count). Most commonly happens with 45 ACP because the rounds are heavy. If the mags were new, with only a few cycles through them (unlikely), HK would definitely replace them for you. Can't quite tell from your picture, but I get the impression that yours have been well-used.

FYI & FWIW: Years ago I knew someone who had his cracked USP45 mags TIG welded, and they were good as new afterwards. The crack must be clamped tightly closed before welding, and the person doing the welding needs to be skilled at not overheating the steel. Afterwards, the welds need to be ground, polished, and painted.

#13 ·
I called HK CS and found out the magazines are warrantied for 1 year. As these are well over that they are not covered. CS offered to sell me magazines at a discount which I took advantage of.

I still find it odd that the welds cracked considering that I do not drop them and they have no more than 500 rounds through them at this point. Either way I'm satisfied with HK CS.

Ryan

#19 ·
I have 2 usp45 full size magazines that are cracked at the weld on the back top of the magazine. If you look closely to the left of witness hole 2 you can see the weld is broken. This is the second magazine that this has happened to.
This is causing "stove piping". Has anyone had this problem or am I doing something to cause this? View attachment 298545
This is causing "stove piping". Has anyone had this problem or am I doing something to cause this? View attachment 298545
Call me old fashioned but I never had this problem with the old fashioned continuous welded seam magazines. I would be interested to know about how many rounds was fired out of this magazine. This is why it is so important to always keep a log on how many rounds you fire out of each of your handguns. I have done this for years and it lets me know when I should do preventive maintenance on my handguns..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.