HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have been MIA for a couple years now, I imagine only a few people here will still remember me, ha.

I am getting ready to move and have decieded to have a Concealed Carry weapon. I currently own a USP9 that I love to death, but I have it many set up as a Match with a jet funnel as well, not something I want to use for a CCW, so I figured its time for a new member to the family.

You'll have to forgive me, I have been gone a long while and haven't been able to keep up with news on the HK45, to be honest I basicly know nothing about it. Would I be better off for it as a CCW over a USP45, even though I am fimiliar with the USP? I would like to have it have a light as well, I currently have a UTL, but its no big deal to get a different model if I go with the HK45.

I prefer fullsized, I have large hands and am built like a blacksmith, so I don't see it as that big of a deal to have a fullsize over compact, but maybe someone knows something I don't on it.

Thanks for the imput!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well, it's a personal thing really. Any pistol COULD be concealed with enough effort, and some don;t find a large pistol cumbersome as some others might. For me, I would not conceal my HK45 but rather carry the smaller, easier to manage P30.

Comfort issues and possible printing aside (since the right leather can make even a Desert Eagle concealable), the HK45 would be wonderfully reliable, and most here (myself included) consider the new HK45 to be more comfortable in the grip and controls than the USP45. Then again, that's a personal preference.

I believe the HK45 may well be one of the best pistols made by HK, or anyone.

T

·
0 Posts
I carried the uspc 45 for 2 years, i have the HK45 now and it is a superior
weapon.

Its bigger but i still can carry it in my front pocket for a quick draw on the
street. I'd hate to reach for a holster if i was caught at gunpoint. At least
with front pocket draw i wont go down alone.

I think my "go to" gun will still be my Alaskan 44mag for the horrific wound.
Empty that and pull the HK or 500mag. depending.

Part of the reason i added the HK45 was more shot capacity, between the 44 and 500
mag i only had 11 and they are slow to reload even with speed loaders. Now
i feel more comfortable on the dark lonely streets with 32 rounds at my disposal.

good luck
TGH

·
Registered
817 Posts
Have you held a HK45 yet. Amazing grip, great advance over the USP. If not, just one touch, is all it will take.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
Despite my range report I am getting more fond of the HK45 so I would recommend it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I find the USP really comfrable with a hogue grip on it, but I admit I've yet to even seen a HK45 in person. Unfourtantly Wyoming isn't exactly a "tactical" type place.

Is the HK45 basicly an upgraded verson of a fullsized USP, or is it more of a compact weapon?

Thanks ^_^

·
Registered
260 Posts
HK45.

It's billed as the evolution of the USP, and that's a fair description. It's a fair bit slimmer than the USP, the ergonomics are better (admittedly, this is something you have to decide for yourself), and the Spidey grips are hellafunctional.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I carried the uspc 45 for 2 years, i have the HK45 now and it is a superior
weapon.

Its bigger but i still can carry it in my front pocket for a quick draw on the
street. I'd hate to reach for a holster if i was caught at gunpoint. At least
with front pocket draw i wont go down alone.

I think my "go to" gun will still be my Alaskan 44mag for the horrific wound.
Empty that and pull the HK or 500mag. depending.

Part of the reason i added the HK45 was more shot capacity, between the 44 and 500
mag i only had 11 and they are slow to reload even with speed loaders. Now
i feel more comfortable on the dark lonely streets with 32 rounds at my disposal.

good luck
TGH
You carry all of those for your ccw? Holy **** man, take one pistol and carry an extra mag or two! :28:

T

·
0 Posts
I think 3 is perfect for my area and the violent crime I have seen.

Tactically its a fast reload, and in a scuffle you could lose one but
still grab another quickly. The BGs here have been coming up behind
and getting the drop at gunpoint, so i need to walk with hand on in
front pocket for instant draw. I really need to keep looking behind me
as some BGs have just been walking up to people from behind and
knocking them out with iron pipes etc as they know my city is "shall issue"
and alot of people pack.

Where i live is a rich part of the city but that attracts the BGs unfortunately.

Latest one was a rich couple left a restaurant 1 block from me and BG
approached and demanded wallet, good guy hands it over quietly, BG
STICKS A SHARPENED SCREWDRIVER into GGs sternum right up to the handle,
lets go of it and runs away. Trying to find out if GG survived. Just to
give you a flavor of "why 3". Something like this happens every 2-3 weeks
close to me. In the immediate area there are 2-3 murders a day.

A funny one happened though, BG comes up behind lawyer going thru divorce
right at the front door of my apts, BG sticks a pistol to the back of his head and
demands wallet etc. Lawyer is depressed getting taken to cleaners and tells
BG I wont give you anything so shoot me. BG starts screaming HAND it OVER
etc. Lawyer says "Either you shoot me or i am going inside". BG gets all
frusterated and yells "you crazy @$#%$" waves the gun around and runs
off into the night yelling obsenities. It is all caught on tape!!! I laughed
so hard watching this! I want to send a copy into Americas Funniest home
videos!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
Glad to hear it! It's growing on you, huh.
I keep messing with it and I have gotten past the finger dragging on the mag release. I have gotten pretty confident that the mag isn't going to drop on me when I pull the trigger. It is still mildly aggravating but I am getting more used to it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
How do you know it didn't reduce crime. Maybe the place was the 7th level of hell and now its only the 5th.

I have to ask, but just how baggy do your pants have to be to hold the HK45 in the front pocket without printing.

As for the OP, i habe carried both the USP45 and HK45 and of the two the HK45 is much more concealable and comfortable. Still needs a good holster and they are fes and far between. USP9 hosters seem to fit.

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
I personally gravitate more toward mid-full size weapons for CCW versus a micro pistol. I am authorized three, of which the HK Compact 40 is one and sees the most carry. The other two are a J frame Centennial hammerless 38 special, which has been out maybe a half dozen times total and the secondary go-to gun is my Glock 26 subcompact 9mm. Being that the HK45 is smaller than the USP 45, I think you'd be just fine to go with that weapon. The right IWB holster makes all the difference too and if you can use covering outer garments, such as jackets or sweaters. I have worn my USP 45 in a belt slide rig covered by my T-shirt so it's do-able, but don't think I would want to routinely put it to the "public eye" test where concealed weapons are supposed to be just that... concealed.

·
Registered
189 Posts
No, we read the same thing. We just assigned different levels of credibility to it. I will always place more emphasis on well-constructed objective studies, such as Gary Kleck's work, than on personal anecdote.
That's why I said in reply to this personal anecdote a phrase which does NOT mean I attached any level of credibility just by saying the phrase and nothing else.

this flies in the face of the theory that CCWs reduce crime...
Flies in the face of= to be the opposite of what is usual or accepted

If I had said "This flies in the face of and directly disproves without a shadow of a doubt the theory that CCWs decrease crime", then what you said would have made sense.

You have now wasted enough of my :670:

·
Registered
260 Posts
That's why I said in reply to this personal anecdote a phrase which does NOT mean I attached any level of credibility just by saying the phrase and nothing else.

Flies in the face of= to be the opposite of what is usual or accepted

If I had said "This flies in the face of and directly disproves without a shadow of a doubt the theory that CCWs decrease crime", then what you said would have made sense.

You have now wasted enough of my :670:
You know what? You're right- I just misinterpreted what you meant. What can I say, it was a bad day.

Ok folks, note the date and time- I'm not due for another error until December 21st, 2008 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
887 Posts
Lets see, two hunting hand cannons and an HK 45 as a pocket pistol? This is necessary in order to feel safe walking your streets? Are we talking Beirut, or an American city? The HK45 with a couple of mags should be enough to persuade even the most determined BG to leave well enough alone. Maybe stuff a subcompact 9mm in your pocket so you're not left holding your package if it makes you feel better. If that's the rich part of town I'd hate to see the seedy side. Do you wear personal body armor as well? Just curious. Do you all travel in groups, or all alone in this war zone?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts