HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New guy on this forum. I'm looking for advice on the USP Expert. I've read a lot of reviews on the gun, but I can't find a range in Northern VA that has one I can shoot and none of the LGS have any in stock. Mainly I'm a 1911 guy, Wilson, Nighthawk etc., so I'm used to high quality triggers. I also have a Sig X5 which is more similar to an HK than a 1911. I've had a USP 45 in the past and a USP 9mm but both that was 8+ years ago and I currently don't have any HK's handguns. The USP Expert looks like it may be a winner for me, but based on forum reviews I'm concerned about the trigger and weight distribution of the slide. I don't expect the Experts trigger to be as good as a Wilson 1911, but how does the experts trigger compare to a 1911. Second question is weight distribution. I've read a lot of different opinions so I don't know what to think here. And then which model of the Expert is preferable, the 18 round version with the JF or the 15 round version w/o the JF. The Expert is a good looking gun and I'm always in the market for a quality, fun to shoot, handgun. In the past I have bought many handguns without shooting them only to sell them shortly after. Also, I can't seem to find any information about the Expert on HK's website. And I can't say I've ever seen an O ring on a barrel. Is this an item that will need to be replaced with any frequency. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Welcome to the forum, we don't really do vs threads here, this gun brand vs that, as they don't go in a productive manner.

The expert and elite models have the best HK factory match DA/SA triggers. Still these are factory military style weapons not $2-5K custom built guns nor race guns. Double action will still be double action. If you can find a USP Tactical somewhere to try the trigger is pretty close but experts are nicer, there is a post on that around here you can find. But that would give you an idea. Even the HK USP would give you a hint. Obviously it seems like you want one of these guns, there is more love about the gun than its trigger, like how it shoots... Shooting an HK is fun! Shooting in general is fun!

JF model just includes the jet funnel, $48 part, plus the more pricey, extended jet funnel mags. There are both the white poly mags and even pricier black steel with plastic coat mags. You can remove a jet funnel or add one later, so really find the best deal and pick up the other mags later to try. I like the jet funnel for the capacity and extra long handle, plus weight balance.

O rings can be replaced cheaply, depends on how much you shoot.

Shockwave

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Experts are amazing in any caliber...period! My two choices would be
1-Expert .45
2-Expert 9mm with Jet Funnel, Black JF Mags, and Adjustable Meprolight Night Sights.
I think the Expert is the perfect balance between the Standard USP and Elite. It also depends on what role the pistol will be deployed in.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
The expert is a great pistol and my favorite HK. I think the trigger is great. But it's a da/sa trigger. Not going to be in the same league as a tuned 1911 or even an x5 (if it's sao). I can tell you the accuracy and "shootability" of the expert is on par or better than pretty much any pistol,IMO. But everyone's tastes and preferences are different. I can't imagine anyone wouldn't love the expert. But then again, I think chocolate ice cream is disgusting. Welcome to the forum. I think you will love the expert. Jet funnel is a great option of you can get it but not a necessity.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
It's hard to match the trigger break and reset of a custom or semi custom 1911. So, if you are shooting bullseye matches, go with a 1911. On the other hand, you'd be surprise at what an HK handgun can do on the range. They are incredibly accurate. I own both the Expert and the Elite in 9mm. As far as accuracy goes, I would say they both will pretty much keep up with my Ed Brown Executive Target, with a nod going to the Ed Brown's trigger.

Below is a 5 shot group from two weekends ago with an Expert in 9mm, off hand 25 yards. If you are impressed with anything, be impressed that this was shot with WW Box ammo. The Expert is a phenomenal handgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What part of NoVa are you in?
Hi mneblett. I'm in Prince William, but I'm willing to travel to Sterling, Fairfax or anywhere in NOVA or meet someone at the range and cover their range fees and ammo just to see one of these. I hate buying guns that I've never held. There is always chance of not liking it and having to turn around and sell it. I've been there many times. I've checked 9 LGS and none of them carry the Expert. One guy laughed at me and asked me why I was looking for old technology, he wanted to steer me to one of the newer model HK's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called H&K and the person I spoke with said the Expert is no longer on their website, but they are doing a limited run for the Expert 9mm. She wasn't able to give me any other information other then that.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hi mneblett. I'm in Prince William, but I'm willing to travel to Sterling, Fairfax or anywhere in NOVA ...
I understand completely. I'm in Fairfax City, and have an Elite, which I understand has the same action bits as an Expert. We probably can't schedule range time together with my schedule, but I'd be happy to meet to let you fondle the Elite's trigger if we can come up with a time/place.

Mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see that the Expert 9mm w/jet funnel and 18+1 is listed with a 4.3" barrel while the Expert 9mm w/o jet funnel and 15+1 is listed with a 5.2" barrel. I've seen this on multiple sights. Very confusing. Would be nice if HK had the specs listed on their site. Is one barrel better than the other? Is this information correct or do some of the websites have their info wrong?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I've only seen the Expert with a 5" barrel. The Elite is approximately 6".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've only seen the Expert with a 5" barrel. The Elite is approximately 6".

dobe, that's what I assumed but I keep finding specifications like this on the web:

Manufacturer Part Number:

M709080F-A5

UPC:

Description

The HK USP9 Expert V1 is a single/double action handgun that is chambered in 9mm with a capacity of 18+1. This model features a manual safety. The barrel is 4.3" long. The black frame is crafted from polymer and is equipped with black synthetic grips and fixed sights. This model weighs only 25 oz.
•Action: single/double action
•Barrel Length: 4.3"
•Caliber: 9mm
•Capacity: 18+1
•Frame Description: Polymer - Black
•Grips: Black Synthetic
•Manufacturer: HK
•Manufacturer Part Number: M709080F-A5
•Model: USP9 Expert V1
•SKU: 0217930
•UPC: 642230247352
•Weight: 25 oz

I also found this:

Heckler and Koch (HK USA) USP9 Expert V1 9mm Double / Single Action Semi-Auto Pistol, 5.2″ Barrel, Blue Finish – Heckler and Koch (HK USA) M709080-A5

Firearms ship within 3-5 business days after order is placed.

Manufacturer: Heckler and Koch (HK USA)

Model: USP9 Expert V1

Caliber: 9mm

Action: Double / Single Action

Type: Semi-Auto Pistol

Barrel Length: 5.2″

Capacity: 15+1

Finish: Blue

Stock/Frame:

Overall Length:

Safety: Thumb safety and decock

Sights: Adjustable

Mags: 2 / 15 rd.

Weight (Unloaded):

·
Registered
187 Posts
The Expert only comes in a 5.2" barrel and a little baggy of replacement o-rings, that last 15000-20,000 rounds depending who you ask, is included. The match trigger is sweet to shoot and they are laser accurate. Here is the 25M test target that came with my 9mm version. That's 5 shots in the single ragged hole. Buy it, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Go with the jet funnel. Reasons being:
- The gun balances very well with it.
- 18+1 is better than 15+1
- Reloads are easier
- The 18 round black steel mags are ultra-heavy duty (but can be expensive, admittedly, depending where you look)

The trigger is absolutely fantastic. I also have the USP 9 Tactical and the match trigger on the Expert is actually better than that on the Tactical. The Tactical has a noticeably heavier pull in double action because of a heavier spring. Whatever variant you go with, I can almost guarantee you will love the Expert if you're a fan of USP's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the information on the expert. I'm happy to hear it comes with extra O rings. Definitely sounds like a great gun. I guess I better start looking for a place to buy one!

·
Registered
710 Posts
The JF is the only way to go IMO. Unless you are just dead set on NOT being cool. Lol. Black JF mags and install the bigger mag release. That is the same set up that I also run on my full size 9 USP. I would say the Expert is more of a target gun than a competion gun. Slide cycles to slow for competion. Atleast that is my experience. Not saying you can't run it fast but it's more difficult than most pistols. The pistol is very accurate and easy to shoot accurately. The best thing about the expert is that with all its great features it is still a USP which is one of the most reliable pistols that has ever been made. The SA break is as good as any pistol that I have in my collection. I am not a 1911 guy though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since patience isn't one of my strengths I went ahead and ordered the Expert w/JF. I'll let you know how it works out. Hopefully it will be a good decision.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
You did well on your selection. I wish HK would make a run on Experts in .45.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts