HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at a loss. I am experiencing a problem with my USP9 that I have not experienced with any other firearm to date. My signature is my current list of pistols that I own and I have no problem whatsoever as far as accuracy goes with the exception of the USP9. With having just under 1500 rounds through, I am unable to shoot it with any type of accuracy or consistency. Has anyone heard of anything like this before. I am thinking of calling H&K but somewhat embarrased. All of my pistols were purchased new since February 2007 so H&K under warranty. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
506 Posts
so... no problem with the .40 but the 9mm is?? Are you all over the target? low and left? drifting?

·
Registered
802 Posts
#1 thing to do first, shoot it off a pistol rest or sandbags to support the front front of the gun. You need to eliminate yourself out of the equation to make sure if it is the gun that isn't performing. Also try different ammo while shooting off the rest.

#2, if you have determine it's not the gun and in fact it's you that is inaccurate, you need to fix your style of shooting. Most often you have bad trigger control. Either you are flinching or just mashing down on the trigger too hard. There are many drills that you can do to help, the best one I've seen is the bump drill. Go to http://www.downrange.tv/ then go to Latest on DRTV and scroll down to Bump Drill.

·
Registered
616 Posts
#1 thing to do first, shoot it off a pistol rest or sandbags to support the front front of the gun. You need to eliminate yourself out of the equation to make sure if it is the gun that isn't performing. Also try different ammo while shooting off the rest.

#2, if you have determine it's not the gun and in fact it's you that is inaccurate, you need to fix your style of shooting. Most often you have bad trigger control. Either you are flinching or just mashing down on the trigger too hard. There are many drills that you can do to help, the best one I've seen is the bump drill. Go to http://www.downrange.tv/ then go to Latest on DRTV and scroll down to Bump Drill.
Thats a neat drill, thanks Scooter.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Scooters post is dead on. I tried the bump drill after he posted the same video in another thread and it helped alot with the LEM on my Uncles P2K. It helps you get a feel for when the trigger will break and because it surprises you the shots are usually more accurate because you don't have time to anticipate and flinch.

Also, I agree with bench resting the gun. Take yourself out of the equation and see if it's the person or the gun whos accuracy is off. 99% of the time, it's not the gun.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the post Scooter. Do you think that one would need to fix their style of shooting or trigger control when one does not exhibit the same with any other pistol. Others who have fired my USP9 felt it not quite up to snuff.
For some reason the results I get are not indicative to past and present performance that I display with any of the other 9 pistols I own.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spoke to Travis T at H&K, he said he doesn't think it is the problem of the USP9. He said if I want to send it in to him for evaluation that would be OK, but on my dime and no RMA is neede at this time. I will be sending it in this Monday 12th. I figure I have no choice but to send it in. If they find something wrong, great and I'll keep it. If all checks out OK, I will sell it when I receive it back.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Do you think that one would need to fix their style of shooting or trigger control when one does not exhibit the same with any other pistol.
Yes and no. The problem is that you have gotten used to one style of trigger pull, but you haven't developed a good technique. The HK triggers just amplify your poor technique. If you develop the skills to always pull through the trigger so the break occurs as a surprise, you will not have any trouble with any trigger. It's a really hard skill to master which is why it separates the good shooters from the average.

I would shoot the gun off a rest or sandbags before you send it off. Overnight shipping is much more expensive than a range session with you shooting the gun off a rest. HK will do exactly the same thing when the gun gets there. No one ever verifies the accuracy of a gun by shooting it offhand.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Yes and no. The problem is that you have gotten used to one style of trigger pull, but you haven't developed a good technique. The HK triggers just amplify your poor technique. If you develop the skills to always pull through the trigger so the break occurs as a surprise, you will not have any trouble with any trigger. It's a really hard skill to master which is why it separates the good shooters from the average.

I would shoot the gun off a rest or sandbags before you send it off. Overnight shipping is much more expensive than a range session with you shooting the gun off a rest. HK will do exactly the same thing when the gun gets there. No one ever verifies the accuracy of a gun by shooting it offhand.
+1

They will shoot it off rest to make sure the gun is fine, but they wont diagnose if the problem is how your using it.

If you want to see if your flinching, have a buddy randomly load 2 or 3 snap-caps into the magazine at the range, and then shoot how you normally would. If the gun goes *click* and your hand slams the gun down or something in anticipation of the recoil, it just means your not used to it...

You may be used to the heavier recoil of the USP.40, and your body is transfering the feeling of the snappier .40 to the 9mm. In any case, as scooter said, if you let the hammer drop as a surprise, your body wont have time to "anticipate" the recoil, and you'll hit what your aiming at.

Try it with sandbags at the range first, before you waste 50 bucks at HK to have them tell you, that its you not the gun :p

If you have problems off the sandbags, then its the gun, and worth the 50 bucks shipping to get it fixed...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes and no. The problem is that you have gotten used to one style of trigger pull, but you haven't developed a good technique. The HK triggers just amplify your poor technique.
Scooter...
I am at the range twice a week. I rotate 2 pistols each week. I have two Glocks (G19 & G34), two Springfields (EMP & XD 9), two Sigs (P229R 9mm & P220R Carry), Kimber, H&K USP40, and a Walther P99AS 9mm. Do you really think that I have gotten used to just one trigger style? Granted, I am no marksman, but in no means a slouch either. The USP9 is the only one that takes full advantage of a 8" target @ 21ft.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I always believed in "you learn something new each day". Yesterday was a typical day and what I learned was something I just don't understand. Before sending my USP to H&K I went to purchase a pistol bench rest and headed straight to the range with the USP9 & USP40 basically to check out the accuracy of the USP9. I started with the 9mm with 50 rounds usual results, then switched to the USP40, right on the money, typical results. Next, the bench rest, I expected better results but what I got amazed me, I own an extremely accurate USP9. 100 rounds of tight groupings with some in the sub 1" category and that's with me kneeling. I still don't understand the fact that I just can't shoot that pistol. I love H&K's but it looks like I will be putting up for sale shortly, It's does not deserve the fate of becoming a safe queen. I guess i'll wait for the P30. Chapter closed, Thanks for all your posts.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Okay, so now pull the top end off the USP9 and put it on the frame of the USP40 and go shoot it. This will test the trigger difference between the two frames.

·
Registered
569 Posts
All of my pistols were purchased new since February 2007 so H&K under warranty. Any suggestions?
How did you manage to purchase all of those firearms this year alone? Win the lottery

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I never thought of it being a lot of pistols till you mentioned it. As I look back it seems like alot to me also. The wife knows I have two pistols...the black one and the two-tone one. Some of the money came from selling my coins and most of it from the sale of my golf eqpt. I can no longer golf because of my disability. Plus being at home all the time you really don't spend alot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good News...I managed to find a new P30 that the store never inventoried yet and the store took trade-ins, so I put it on hold and brought in my USP9 to see what they would give me for a trade. My USP9 was as plain as they come, no extras. I pick up my P30 tomorrow, we settled on $340 + tax. The P30 from what I see despite it being quite expensive like all H&K's will be a big hit for H&K. Actually, if you price the USP9 w/ night sights, the P30 isn't that much more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts