HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about picking one up as a suppressor platform. Already have a .45CT. Am I going to hate the trigger on the 9? I understand that it doesn't have the same trigger. Also, no o-ring on the barrel. Does it make a difference at all?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Thinking about picking one up as a suppressor platform. Already have a .45CT. Am I going to hate the trigger on the 9? I understand that it doesn't have the same trigger. Also, no o-ring on the barrel. Does it make a difference at all?
If I were you, I'd get a USPt 45 instead of the 9. You won't hate the trigger on the SD-9, but you won't like it as much as the trigger on the tac 45. Also, when you suppress the USP-t, you will have a suppressor that works for your USP-ct also.

The o-ring would be good to have. I'm not convinced it does wondrous things, yet. But I've heard claims of better accuracy, less muzzle flip, and a better seal on the weapon to keep foreign materials out. If even one of those things is true (which I'm sure it is), I'd rather have an O-Ring than not have one.

·
Registered
311 Posts
With ammo prices the way they are, HK needs to wake up and pay more attention to their offerings of 9mm. The SD is about the biggest rip-off in the entire USP line. No match trigger or O-ring. Your paying a $250 premium for a threaded barrel. The 45 Tactical is about the same price and has the O-ring and the match trigger. Remember, if you buy a match trigger and have HK install it it will cost you $200.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the thing. I already have a .45CT that has a suppressor on it. Right now I'm going with a 9mm for the sound. There's a substantial difference in the way a 9mm sounds suppressed and a .45 sounds suppressed (unless it's a Gemtech Trinity, I swear that thing is a loudener), and now I want the quiet one. I don't think it would be at all cost effective to buy a USP 9 and buy an HK threaded barrel or adjustable sights.

Thinking out loud, the o-ring shouldn't be hard to add I would imagine. Unless the 9 barrel is ungodly thin any machine shop could turn down the notch for the o-ring correct?

How intensive is the match trigger install? If it's anything like the LEM install it shouldn't be too hard, but I'd rather not get in over my head if I can help it. The 9 also offers the jet funnel and 18 round mags. I've never heard anyone saying too much ammo is a bad thing.

Any other thoughts or considerations that I haven't covered?

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you look hard you can find USP 9 SDs at great prices. Hell, I got my USP .40 Tactical for $725.

Just add the match-trigger and go; the 9mm round is much quieter suppressed. I just wish they would make a USP Compact/P2000 9mm with a threaded barrel...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Here's the thing. I already have a .45CT that has a suppressor on it. Right now I'm going with a 9mm for the sound. There's a substantial difference in the way a 9mm sounds suppressed and a .45 sounds suppressed (unless it's a Gemtech Trinity, I swear that thing is a loudener), and now I want the quiet one. I don't think it would be at all cost effective to buy a USP 9 and buy an HK threaded barrel or adjustable sights.

It would if you want to shoot lead, $250 for threaded Jarvis barrel with O-Ring

Thinking out loud, the o-ring shouldn't be hard to add I would imagine. Unless the 9 barrel is ungodly thin any machine shop could turn down the notch for the o-ring correct?

Almost impossible to machine HK barrel without O-ring to accept O-ring

How intensive is the match trigger install? If it's anything like the LEM install it shouldn't be too hard, but I'd rather not get in over my head if I can help it. The 9 also offers the jet funnel and 18 round mags. I've never heard anyone saying too much ammo is a bad thing.

$115 for the trigger, folks say have HK install it, otherwise warranty may be void, trigger often does not work right

Any other thoughts or considerations that I haven't covered?
You could sell the HK barrel that comes with the SD, probably get enough $ to buy a Jarvis threaded O-ring barrel. Then, I would send to HK to have the trigger done. If you can find an SD for under $900, it may not be TOO expensive.

Email HK at their new forum and express your desire for them to pay more attention to their 9mm line. If enough people do this, maybe they will. HK offering a true 9mm Tac would solve ALL your problems

With the price of 9mm at $135 per K, and 45 ACP well over $200 per 1K, I suspect more of these threads in the future, alot more

·
Registered
75 Posts
I picked one up from MILSECPRO, here on the board.

Excellent suppressor platform, and the jetfunnel and 18 round mags make it even better.

Mine came with adjustable-raised-night sights. Very nice for the can.

2 thumbs up.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm partial to the .45, so I wouldn't take it over a USPT or MK23. Not just because of the caliber, but also because the USP SD grip is a little smaller. With that said, I love it as a suppressed weapon and am glad to have it. In addition to the threaded barrel, you also get the raised sights, which are handy when using with a can. I bought mine used for $740; I figure that is a fairly reasonable price for what you actually get.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Don't listen to all the hupla the USP9MMSD IS A GREAT PISTOL ,AND XTREAMLY ACCURATE! ALOT OF PEOPLE BASH THEM ,BUT DON'T OWN ONE! I AM VERY HAPPY WITH MINE!!!!!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Don't listen to all the hupla the USP9MMSD IS A GREAT PISTOL ,AND XTREAMLY ACCURATE! ALOT OF PEOPLE BASH THEM ,BUT DON'T OWN ONE! I AM VERY HAPPY WITH MINE!!!!!
Um... it's a great pistol. Just like my regular USP. But it's not worth as much as a USP tactical in 40 or 45.

That's all most of us are saying here. No bashing intended.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I DO own the 9SD and the others and it is not the pistol the Tactical is even if my SD had an accurate barrel (my SD is from the first lot in and they had an accuracy problem. Current 9SDs are just as accurate as any other USP so don't let my problem with accuracy factor in). The match trigger makes a lot of difference to most shooters in their ability to hit what they are aiming at. Most who have shot both will tell you the trigger alone is worth the few extra dollars you pay to get the full blown Tactical package. The o-ring IMO is a marketing ploy that doesn't do a damned thing. It may act as a self cleaning wipe but I cannot tell that the o-ring does anything for muzzle flip or accuracy that a human shooter could tell holding the pistol in their hands. I've shot them side by side and even had a Jarvis barrel o-ringed after first testing without the o-ring and I cannot tell that the addition of the o-ring had done anything at all to the performance of the pistol. When one can shoot a Compact darned near as well as one can shoot the Tac, Expert, and Elite, that pretty much tells you that the o-ring isn't doing much. Its the trigger that makes the TE&E shoot better, not the o-ring.

One other note. You cannot just have a groove cut in the HK barrel and pop in an o-ring The steel is very hard and is not the same hardness in all places. There have been quite a few people over the years to try and do this with more than one seeking fame and fortune by cutting o-rings in HK barrels. So far as I know every single one of them has failed. Larry at CCF was one of the first to try and even with carbide cutters on CNC machines, the cutter would be chugging along, hit a super hard spot and break, then the cutter proceeds to ruin the barrel with the broken cutter head and all this happens in the blink of an eye. Larry ruined several barrels then gave up. Others came on here boasting better machining skills and announced open for business. They had the same dismal results. If anyone had succeeded in consistently cutting o-rings in HK barrels I have no doubt they would be on here advertising. So, my advice on that is don't even try. You will just end up with ruining your barrel or someone else's. People tend to get pissed when you ruin their barrel and even if you replace the barrel, it no longer matches the pistol.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bigbore basicly summed it up! Other than the match trigger you get with the tac. The usp9sd is comproable The Oring barrel is questionable, whether it does much for accuracy IMHO. Alas HK proabably should have put the match trigger in. But that doesn't matter to me, because when I shoot it helps my trigger control with my compacts which basicly have the same trigger.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I own a USP9SD and run an AAC Evo-9 on it with excellent results. Its a great "out of the box" gun set up and ready to run with a can rather than having to get an aftermarket threaded barrel on it, raised sights, etc...its ready to rock and roll right out of the box (or nylon carrying case for the SD).

If you shoot regularly and at normal pistol distances, I see no huge difference in accuracy between a match trigger and the standard trigger on the 9SD; most folks like to blame lousy accuracy on the gun/trigger/sights rather than the bloke behind the gun pulling the trigger. Get good training and practice regularly and you will quickly learn that most "shooters" out there are looking to buy performance rather than practicing and cultivating skills the hard way. The best pistol/trigger/sights etc combo in the world will be wasted on the guy who lacks solid fundamental shooting techniques like stance, trigger control, etc. Quality training with a good instructor will give far better results than an "o-ring or not o-ring barrel" etc.

If you are looking to use this pistol to perform slow-fire at small targets at 75M then get a suppressed rifle or SMG. If you are going to use this for pistol for work inside 50M against human sized targets then you will not be handicapped whatsoever by the standard trigger - which is way more than adequate for a combat pistol IMHO.

If you look around you will find USP9 SD's for $700 - sometimes with night sights included. The 9SD is a great bargain at that price point IMHO.

·
Registered
51 Posts
9SD is a "good" gun. I'm questioning whether the extra cost of a threaded barrel is worth the cost hit over a 9mm full size standard (No O-ring, etc.). I've had mine 6 months, and it's not spectacular. I'd rather shoot the 45 Tac or my Expert if I were looking for what the SD claims to bring.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd get a 9mm FS.

·
Registered
311 Posts
9SD is a "good" gun. I'm questioning whether the extra cost of a threaded barrel is worth the cost hit over a 9mm full size standard (No O-ring, etc.). I've had mine 6 months, and it's not spectacular. I'd rather shoot the 45 Tac or my Expert if I were looking for what the SD claims to bring.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd get a 9mm FS.
Please explain in more detail if possible, I've been thinking about buying an SD for my collection. I have a match trigger I could install myself. Do you think it would be more worthwhile to get a standard FS 9mm and a Jarvis threaded barrel for $250, sell the FS 9mm barrel? Given your last post, its OK if you consider this as a dumb question, LOL. Please just post any other thoughts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Gents,
If you are not going to use a suppressor - then there are better options than the 9SD IMHO.

If you are going to use a can then its a great deal since it comes ready to go out of the box with barrel, sights, etc. I use mine almost exclusively as a suppressor platform or on the nightstand since my CCW pieces are two P2SK's.

Gordon Miller had NIC 9SD's in the $700 - $750 ballpark awhile back, and I have seen them go on the various gun boards at this price point every now and then.

SCL

·
Registered
43 Posts
USP SD 9mm

Who has the lowest price on these now ? I'm ready to buy. Lowest I've seen is $899 at Clyde Armory.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts