HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions on best defensive ammo for USPc in .40 cal given the shorter 3.6" barrel. 180gr vs 165gr the pros and cons of each, including recoil, accuracy, expansion, penetration. And anything else you may want to add to the list. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
313 Posts
It's my understanding that heavier rounds tend to have a lower % of velocity loss in shorter barrels than lighter rounds. Looking at ballistics charts on the LE ATK website, most 9mm and .40 loads are tested in 4" barrels. With todays bullet technology, you likely don't need to worry too much with regards to the 3.6" barrel.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Personally, I like the lower velocity 180gr rounds out of the Compact. Sometimes I get a little bit of trigger bite from the 165gr or 155gr rounds. For me the 180gr (or even 200gr) just feels smoother, and I shoot better with them. There is also supposedly less wear on the pistol from 180gr rounds, which is the stated reason why some LE agencies have switched from 165gr to 180gr loads.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
good info. I just bought my first .40. It's a V2 P30. I was wondering what loads I should shoot out of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts