HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nothing really new here -- just wanted to share my experience.

My conversion to the dark side is complete. After converting my P30LS V3 to LEM with safety lever a few months ago, yesterday I installed the parts to convert my KI USPc 45 V2 to LEM, with the left-hand safety lever retained.

I went to the range last evening, and I could not be happier. The USPc's DA pull was horrible to me, with 8-9 distinct stages over its long travel before the hammer would fall. No amount of internal parts polishing (including the polishing the four edges of the hammer strut the hammer spring slides over when being compressed) made any significant improvement in the DA

With the LEM parts installed, it was like getting a new pistol -- smooth, consistent LEM trigger, and the re-strike DA pull was smoother. While I lost the decocker function of the safety lever (the P30's decocker built into its sear still works), with the LEM trigger it won't be missed because there's not much need for it. If I ever want to manipulate the trigger without firing a round in the chamber (i.e., when I might want to use a decocker), I'll just push on the safety before racking the slide to remove the chambered round.

I'll be the first to acknowledge that the LEM trigger isn't the be-all to end-all, and that there are many with perfectly good reasons who don't want to have an LEM trigger -- so I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. This is just a happy camper sharing his happiness with his USPc 45 after the conversion! :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Glad that you took the plunge . I've found that LEM is either hit or miss with most people. They either love it or hate it. Sometimes it takes a bit to get comfortable with. I loved it right from the start, and now almost every HK pistol I own is light LEM. If you like it already, then you will love it after putting more rounds thru it. Check out the reference library here on the site and read about the LEM / match hybrid trigger . Great to see you do this yourself also. Great job op, only now you may never want another da/sa pistol again .

·
Banned
225 Posts
I'm in the opposite boat as you. I picked up an HK 45C LEM and I very much dislike the LEM.

I'm kind of on the fence as to what to do. This is my second LEM pistol, I hated the first one also but I was going to give it another try and I just don't like LEM. If I had to pick between a LEM and a factory GLOCK trigger, I would tell you the GLOCK is superior. To me the LEM just feels so long and mushy.

I love HK's DA/SA. That DA mode sucks, super heavy and long but I view it as a safety feature. Once that first rounds goes off you have those NICE short super light SA follow-up's, that is how an HK should be.

I see no one offers a "DA/SA" kit. I did see that thread with the part numbers to order to convert to DA/SA but I don't know if want to spend the money to do it. I've detail stripped several HK's over they years and actually my first LEM I had, I installed so I know how easy it is. It's just a money thing at this point.

Almost want to sell this 45C and find a DA/SA model.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm in the opposite boat as you. I picked up an HK 45C LEM and I very much dislike the LEM.
Like I said, it's not for everyone -- if you don't like it, you don't like it. Sounds like selling and getting a DA/SA is the right choice for you -- life is too short to be unhappy with something you're supposed to enjoy!

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Someone nicknamed LEM as The VooDoo trigger.
Can't agree more...:cool:

Although the USP DA/SA Match isn't bad:wink:.

·
Banned
225 Posts
Also added HK45c Tactical threaded barrel, Tactical "Elephant Foot" extended mags and suppressor height Hieine Straight Eight sights.
Just so you know - LOL :biggrin:
I'm not too jealous about all of that! $850.00 dollars got me everything you see in that top picture, including the 100 rounds of WWB!

Gotta have one for each hand though!

·
Banned
225 Posts
Yeah my SP-89 doesn't have that cool scope mount on it. Although I've never used the rail on my USC/UMP conversion so I think I'm still OK! 😋

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Someone nicknamed LEM as The VooDoo trigger.
Can't agree more...:cool:
You sure you want to mess with VooDoo and it's magic triggers?
I wouldn't want any VooDoo firing pins stuck into my doll! :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
You sure you want to mess with VooDoo and it's magic triggers?
I wouldn't want any VooDoo firing pins stuck into my doll! :biggrin:
I'm a race car in the red line.
And you don't want a race car in the red line - LOL!
I'm right on the edge of converting my USP Elite to LEM.
Think you just pushed me over the edge.:biggrin:

·
Registered
205 Posts
The LEM is a great carry trigger. If you swap out the LEM springs with match springs, you can have a sweet target trigger as well. IMO, the safety lever isn't needed, since the long pull length offers some security against accidental trigger pulls from any sort of careless handling, and you can keep your thumb on the hammer while holstering to prevent an ND into your leg. But it's all just a matter of preference - to each his own.

Just curious, but before you made the transition to LEM and were polishing the internals, did you polish your trigger bar too? I have personally experienced gritty trigger pulls on USPs, and both times, it was a rough-cut trigger bar - either from rough machining or it's from a MIM process and then not properly smoothed out. Here's a picture of the areas on a trigger bar where I have had to polish to remove the grit from the trigger pull. I had to remove quite a bit of material with a polishing stone from some of these areas to get all the jagged edges out, then polish the surfaces with an extra fine stone, and finally use a dremel buffing wheel before the trigger of one of my USPs felt anywhere close to smooth. I probably should have just ordered a spare trigger bar, but I wanted to see if I could fix the problem myself. The result was smoother than the factory trigger pull on my other USP.

HKPUSP9034.jpg

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the input. My thoughts:
If you swap out the LEM springs with match springs, you can have a sweet target trigger as well.
MY USPc is a 1998, so I already have the black hammer spring, which I understand to be the same as the match hammer spring. I also have the original TRS, which I believe is the lightest. I did not look into whether the firing pin safety spring could be lighter, as the LEM weight is just about right for me for CCW.

The match sear spring was not in stock when I purchased the other LEM parts from HKCS; I'm awaiting my backorder to be filled.

IMO, the safety lever isn't needed, since the long pull length offers some security against accidental trigger pulls from any sort of careless handling, and you can keep your thumb on the hammer while holstering to prevent an ND into your leg.
Agree completely; that is what I do. I want the safety for non-SD times, when I want the belt-and-suspenders of a safety lever when handling it (handing it to someone else, moving it about in my reloading room, moving in/out of the gun safe, etc.). For CCW, the safety will never be on.

Just curious, but before you made the transition to LEM and were polishing the internals, did you polish your trigger bar too?
Good question. Yes. The USPc's trigger bar was pretty good in that area, so the polishing only slightly helped. The P30LS, on the other hand was quite rough -- polishing the underside of the trigger bar tail made a big difference. I also slightly reduced the strength of the P30's trigger bar detent spring. Between those two changes the P30's trigger/trigger bar movement became quite smooth. I suspect the USPc's trigger didn't respond as much to polishing since it was already worn in -- I purchased it new in 1999.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts