HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am ready to pick up USP #4, but just can not seem to make up my mind. I know that I want a USPc, but I can not seem to decide between a 45 or a 9mm. I have slowly started moving from 9mm to 45, but just can not seem to get away from it completely. Truthfully, I enjoy shooting 9mm. I also love the lower cost associated with 9mm rounds. The problem is, I love the power of the 45 round. I love shooting it, and I love carrying it. So that leaves me with a tough decision.

I just wanted to see if anyone who owns, or has owned both calibers in the USPc could provide some input.

Also, a little side note question. I recently converted my 45 Expert to SAO with the 5/6 detent plate that came with it. Is that the proper plate to use or is there another one? Or are there multiple ones that will work? I am a bit confused by the different plates.

Thanks so much for the help.

Adam

·
Banned
188 Posts
9mm. Higher capacity, cheaper to shoot, available everywhere, and lots of good defensive ammo.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I've had both the USP Compact in 9mm and in 45 acp at the same time, and loved 'em both. Eventually sold both. . . now I have a fullsize USP 45 in stainless, a fullsize USP Tactical 45 in HE black, and a fullsize USP Tactical 45 in desert tan. Also have a beautiful Les Baer 1911 in stainless, so I have enough 45s. I've also got an awesome 9mm CZ SP-01 with manual safety which has been converted to SAO, with no firing-pin block, and ~3.x # trigger. It's a dream.

I've owned, bought, and sold several guns in my time, but the only one I've ever regretted selling was my USP Compact 9mm. . . for whatever that's worth to you.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I have the USP 9SD and Mark 23. I bought the Mark first, loved it, but like you said... it's expensive to shoot. The USP-SD is my second favorite gun only bacause it lacks the knock down power of the 45. Your in a tough boat. I'd say pick up the 9mm first. Save up some money maybe sell some stuff you don't need and pick up the .45 later. That way you get a "cheaper" fix with 9mm. That should keep your addiction fed until you can swing the funds to buy a .45.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I am of the opinion that it depends on what you plan on using it for... if it is practice at the range, go with the 9 mm. You get a great gun with a great capacity and it is just really fun. If you plan on using it for concealed carry and defense, maybe the 45 would be the right choice. I have the fullsize in 40 and the compact in 45. I love the compact. And I feel comfortable with that on my hip knowing there is a stack of 230 grain jhps. It's your choice, but you can't go wrong with either. It is, afterall, an HK.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the answers. I just have to put some more thought into it. I know the 9mm is the more sensible choice, but I am still leaning 45. Now I just need to find a good deal on one. That might help, lol.

Adam

·
Registered
12 Posts
Why not the USP-C .40? I've had one for years...nearly the power of the .45 and a nice compromise...a joy to shoot and pie-plate accurate at 50 yards even with my old blurry eyes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Can we please ban the use of "knock down power" in serious discussions? The only thing better about 45ACP using modern ammunition is barrier penetration.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I am of the opinion that it depends on what you plan on using it for... if it is practice at the range, go with the 9 mm. You get a great gun with a great capacity and it is just really fun. If you plan on using it for concealed carry and defense, maybe the 45 would be the right choice. I have the fullsize in 40 and the compact in 45. I love the compact. And I feel comfortable with that on my hip knowing there is a stack of 230 grain jhps. It's your choice, but you can't go wrong with either. It is, afterall, an HK.
HK

^ This! I HAD a 9 compact and HAVE a 45. Both good, but my paws handle larger compacts better. My High-cap CCW is now a P2000SK in 9mm, but I shoot the 45’s much better. Nothing wrong with the 9, just didn't see the logic in it as compared to the SK. Might want to give the HK45C a look too.

·
Registered
410 Posts
i say get the nine and enjoy the cheap rounds, then for carry get some 124gr +P gold dots. they run just a hundred fps lower then .357 mag from a USP full size, and expanded rounds shot through water look sinister. I haven't seen how the short barrel version performs but i think its optimized for shorter barreled hanguns like the USPc. I seriously doubt anyone can stand up to a thoraxic shot.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I was somewhat in your shoes recently.

I love HK to death but I was in need of a smaller carry gun than my fullsize USP .45. Being a college student, money doesnt come easily. So I bought a Glock 19...

Great gun to carry but I HATED sacrificing that big .45 caliber for a 9mm. Don't get my wrong I love shooting 9mm in a Beretta 92FS but after that Glock 19 and other 9mm's Ive tried. My love for 9mm stops at the Beretta 92FS

So that being said... I got very lucky and sold my Glock 19 to a buddy for $50 less than what I paid for it and I bought a Glock 30 to carry... Please don't crucify me guys. I needed a smaller .45 to carry (I goto school in Akron, Ohio and in December that city had 12 shootings and 9 dead with their valubles gone) and the HK45C was just too out of reach but I should be able to pick one up in the fall ;)....CAN'T WAIT...

If the .45 is what you really want then get it. You have 9mm already and .45 is just a sweet round to shoot and feels very comforting on your hip... I can shoot any .45 all day... any other caliber is just a booty call to me

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Both are outstanding fighting pistols. The USP Compact .45 fits my big hands better as its a bit larger, but not much. I will never part with the USP Compact 9mm ... both are wonderful pistols that are accurate and reliable, I dont feel outguned with either one

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Both are outstanding fighting pistols. The USP Compact .45 fits my big hands better as its a bit larger, but not much. I will never part with the USP Compact 9mm ... both are wonderful pistols that are accurate and reliable, I dont feel outguned with either one
Kost knows best when it comes to USP's. Hey OP, how bout you shoot Kost a message. He'll tell you everything you need to know. As far as 9mm or .45 USPc I recently had a similar dilemma and I went back to owning a .45... I'm not trying to start a caliber war by saying this but you have to be comfortable in the caliber choice you make. I've said plenty of times I love 9mm and I do and it will get the job done but I just feel more comfortable with a .45 acp... same logic applies to my shotguns, I love my 20 gauge but just felt more comfortable with a 12 gauge under the bed. Get what will make you feel comfortable and then train with that.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
9mm. Higher capacity, cheaper to shoot, available everywhere, and lots of good defensive ammo.
Well said buudddd! If you want to get good with the pistol you purchase and money is tight, then the 9mm is your best option. Plus you get more rounds in your mag, and great self-defense ammo. WIN.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts