HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a USPc in 9mm. The sight radius and barrel is a tiny, tiny bit longer on the 45 ACP USPc.

Anyone who has both a 9mm and 45 ACP USP COMPACT - is the 45 any easier to shoot - even a little?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think that's something you'll have to find out for yourself at a range or something.

The two rounds feel very different when shooting them. Well, my hands aren't that sensitive to judging recoil, but the 9mm has less recoil, but it can be a quick snap (more obvious in .40), while the .45 builds up to a hard push that feels like it lingers longer.

But then again, I shoot really badly with the USP compact to begin with, so I didn't bother shooting the .45. I've shot the full size models tho.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have owned many 45s and 9mms over the years. So yea, I realize the recoil is different. I was just curious about the slightly longer slide and sight radius - if anyone was gonna say they shot the 45 better.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would pick the cartridge you like better. 45 will never feel like a 9mm or vice versa, as Im sure you know. What features of the USPc that has you debating the 9mm vs 45?

·
Registered
823 Posts
I shoot the USP CT 45 better than the USPc 9mm. Don't know why, but the CT is a tack driver.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
I shoot the USPC .45 better than the USPC .40, pretty much because my hands are larger, and I need to use the 'extended base plates' on it so I can get all my fingers on the gripping surface of the small caliber USPC .40 (Sorry I dont have it in 9mm)

The USPC .45 really is a nice shooting .45, the grip fits my large hands very well for a compact.

*Get one in your hand* :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you notice the sight radius that much then you need a lot more practice. You are most likely holding the gun out for too long and spending all your energy lining up the sites and by the time you do that your arms are shaking which in turn is causing your shots to go all over the place. Practice just getting a flash sight picture. Focus on that front sight while pushing the gun out to the target and as soon as you are locked out pull the trigger. You can practice this a lot at home while dry firing.

FWIW, the sight difference between the full sized and compact is negligible enough to not make any appreciable difference in how you should be shooting much less between the 9 and 45 compacts. I do shoot the full sized better but that is because her and I have spent many hours together on the range. Given a few days practice with a compact and I will shoot it as good as my full sized.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the reason I am debating it is that I always shoot 4" or larger barrelled guns better than sub 4" barrelled guns. Don't know why - but that is the case. Seems to be the sight radius.

I have a USPc 9mm right now. I have been looking at the USPc 45 CT lately, however. But, since part of that extra barrel length extends past the slide, U don't get the benefit of the longer sight radius (compared to the standard USpc 45).

Anyway - I know how I shoot with the USPc 9mm - and the sight radius is actually kind of short. I use my P99 slide for comparison, as I cannot shoot any gun as well as my fullsize Walther P99. It only has a 4" barrel, yet the sight radius is the same as a FULLsize USP with a longer barrel. Walther makes better use of the space top of the slide space.

Anyway, when I shoot past 7 yards, sight radius DOES matter to me. I am a pretty good shooter, but for me, this is a fact. I never shot worth a damn with the Beretta Cougar I had in the 1990s (past 7 yards) or a Glock 26 I prev had. Both of these have shorter barrels. I doubt it is the barrel doing it, however - it seems to be the sight radius.

My P99c shoots pretty well for me (but, not as well as the fullsize) - it has a 3.5" barrel - but the sight radius is longer on it than my 9mm USPc. It would probably be about equal to the slightly longer sight radius on the 45 ACP USPc.

I do not know anyone in my area with a 45 ACP USPc - so, I'm just trying to get some opinions here... That was why I asked...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Well, the reason I am debating it is that I always shoot 4" or larger barrelled guns better than sub 4" barrelled guns. Don't know why - but that is the case. Seems to be the sight radius.

I have a USPc 9mm right now. I have been looking at the USPc 45 CT lately, however. But, since part of that extra barrel length extends past the slide, U don't get the benefit of the longer sight radius (compared to the standard USpc 45).

Anyway - I know how I shoot with the USPc 9mm - and the sight radius is actually kind of short. I use my P99 slide for comparison, as I cannot shoot any gun as well as my fullsize Walther P99. It only has a 4" barrel, yet the sight radius is the same as a FULLsize USP with a longer barrel. Walther makes better use of the space top of the slide space.

Anyway, when I shoot past 7 yards, sight radius DOES matter to me. I am a pretty good shooter, but for me, this is a fact. I never shot worth a damn with the Beretta Cougar I had in the 1990s (past 7 yards) or a Glock 26 I prev had. Both of these have shorter barrels. I doubt it is the barrel doing it, however - it seems to be the sight radius.

My P99c shoots pretty well for me (but, not as well as the fullsize) - it has a 3.5" barrel - but the sight radius is longer on it than my 9mm USPc. It would probably be about equal to the slightly longer sight radius on the 45 ACP USPc.

I do not know anyone in my area with a 45 ACP USPc - so, I'm just trying to get some opinions here... That was why I asked...
Ok, well you sound pretty normal to me. Here is the deal, if you are actually target shooting vs using combat accuracy i.e. using a flash sight picture and relying on the front sight the sight radius will matter more...a lot more! On the flip side the USPc was meant to be carried and if you are training for real world accuracy the sight picture you get and sight radius will matter less because you wont be worrying about super tight groups at 25 yards or point shooting. So I guess it really comes down to what its use will be, if you plan to carry this gun and training for real world scenarios than the sight radius shouldnt play a major role. On the other hand, if you want a range gun for target shooting, it sounds like you will be pretty disappointed with any caliber of USPc. Especially considering that the stock sights on any USP give a rather loose sight picture, which further magnifies the loss of additional length on a sight radius IMO.

You can definitely improve your accuracy with a shorter sight picture, but it will take more work. For instance I am pretty accurate with my P2000SK, but it will never match the natural accuracy I have when shooting my USPf, you just cant make up for those lost inches of barrel length, but you can get plenty accurate with a shorter barrel and make the trade off between comfort and concealability much much smaller with enough practice.

EDIT: one more thing to add, if you always wanted a 45 but found the USPf 45 grip to big, the USPc 45 is a beautiful thing....the difference is just magical IMO. I have the USPf 45 and grip is pretty big but quite manageable, but the grip on the USPc 45 is just dead on perfect for me. I still love the extra length of the USPf though...just not the extra weight or size when its on my hip or under my arm for 15 hours.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, yea, the fullsize USP grip is a bit too big for me. I prev had a fullsize 9mm USP, and got rid of it. But, the USPc grip is very nice.

I plan on getting the HK45 actually. But, I saw another USPc in 45 with the threaded barrel, and it has me kinda wanting that. But, I sorta know that the shorter sight radius ain't gonna do me too much good.

Now, even with my fullsize USP (that I prev had) with the same sight radius as my P99, and my Five Seven with an extra inch of sight radius - I just don't shoot anything nearly as well as that P99 of mine - Sometimes it is rather aggravating actually.

So, I honestly don't expect to find a gun I shoot quite as well with.

At my indoor range - I pretty much just shoot the best groups I can on the paper. Lately, I've tried to do some quick double taps with my carry gun, to try to do something else besides shooting small groups. But overall, that's kinda what I do.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Well, yea, the fullsize USP grip is a bit too big for me. I prev had a fullsize 9mm USP, and got rid of it. But, the USPc grip is very nice.

I plan on getting the HK45 actually. But, I saw another USPc in 45 with the threaded barrel, and it has me kinda wanting that. But, I sorta know that the shorter sight radius ain't gonna do me too much good.

Now, even with my fullsize USP (that I prev had) with the same sight radius as my P99, and my Five Seven with an extra inch of sight radius - I just don't shoot anything nearly as well as that P99 of mine - Sometimes it is rather aggravating actually.

So, I honestly don't expect to find a gun I shoot quite as well with.

At my indoor range - I pretty much just shoot the best groups I can on the paper. Lately, I've tried to do some quick double taps with my carry gun, to try to do something else besides shooting small groups. But overall, that's kinda what I do.
You may want to see if you have a tighter sight picture with the P99 than with the HK's, that can be corrected with the addition of new sights, another option can be a lower bore access, but Im not familiar with the P99.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I have a USPc in 9mm. The sight radius and barrel is a tiny, tiny bit longer on the 45 ACP USPc.

Anyone who has both a 9mm and 45 ACP USP COMPACT - is the 45 any easier to shoot - even a little?
I don't know if "easier" is the word I would use, but I have both a USP Compact 45 and a USP Compact 9mm, and out of the box, with factory ammo, I shot the 45 noticeably better. . . I was a bit perplexed.

Then I started reloading, and custom-making all my own ammo for my particular chambers/pistols. With my own custom-ammo I started to see a dramatic improvement in my ability to shoot tighter groups with the 9mm. The 45 was improved also I think, but the customized 9mm was really grouping noticeably better than the factory WWB FMJs and Remington green box FMJs I had been using. That's when I noticed that the POA vs. the POI was different between my USP Compact 45 and my USP Compact 9mm. With my USP Compact 45 (with factory night-sights) the Point Of Impact has always been just at the top edge of the front sight, but the USP Compact 9mm (with standard factory white-dot sights) was behind the front sight. I ordered a slightly shorter front white-dot sight from HK and put it on myself, and now it shoots the same for me as the USP Compact 45 (as long as I use my own custom-made ammo). It turns out that the rear night-sight on the 45 is just slightly taller than the rear white-dot on the 9mm, while the two front sights are about the same height.

To make a long story short, both guns now shoot equally well for me, but I did have to tweak the ammo and the sights on the 9mm to get it up to the performance level of the 45. The 45 was definitely the better shooter out of the box though, and even still is if I use regular factory FMJs, such as WWB. :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
I don't know if "easier" is the word I would use, but I have both a USP Compact 45 and a USP Compact 9mm, and out of the box, with factory ammo, I shot the 45 noticeably better. . . I was a bit perplexed.

Then I started reloading, and custom-making all my own ammo for my particular chambers/pistols. With my own custom-ammo I started to see a dramatic improvement in my ability to shoot tighter groups with the 9mm. The 45 was improved also I think, but the customized 9mm was really grouping noticeably better than the factory WWB FMJs and Remington green box FMJs I had been using. That's when I noticed that the POA vs. the POI was different between my USP Compact 45 and my USP Compact 9mm. With my USP Compact 45 (with factory night-sights) the Point Of Impact has always been just at the top edge of the front sight, but the USP Compact 9mm (with standard factory white-dot sights) was behind the front sight. I ordered a slightly shorter front white-dot sight from HK and put it on myself, and now it shoots the same for me as the USP Compact 45 (as long as I use my own custom-made ammo). It turns out that the rear night-sight on the 45 is just slightly taller than the rear white-dot on the 9mm, while the two front sights are about the same height.

To make a long story short, both guns now shoot equally well for me, but I did have to tweak the ammo and the sights on the 9mm to get it up to the performance level of the 45. The 45 was definitely the better shooter out of the box though, and even still is if I use regular factory FMJs, such as WWB. :)

Thats pretty interesting info. What confuses the hell out of me is that many people who shoot both the USPf and USPc feel less recoil on the USPc...I can only imagine its due to a more proper grip. It just baffles the hell out of me...I cant wait to get my USPc back from Fords!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Thats pretty interesting info. What confuses the hell out of me is that many people who shoot both the USPf and USPc feel less recoil on the USPc...I can only imagine its due to a more proper grip. It just baffles the hell out of me...I cant wait to get my USPc back from Fords!
Less slide mass = less felt recoil. My Kimber Ultra Covert felt recoil is less than my USPCT, same 45 acp.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Yes, you and I have spoken about this before. . . and I am one of the ones who find the fullsize USP 45 to be a softer and definitely smoother shooter than my USP Compact 45. :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You may want to see if you have a tighter sight picture with the P99 than with the HK's, that can be corrected with the addition of new sights, another option can be a lower bore access, but Im not familiar with the P99.

Actually - the P99 rear sight is wider than most of my other guns. I prefer it because I can pick up the sight picture faster.

I can't explain it - but I've probably gone thru a couple dozen handguns in my lifetime - and NOTHING works as well for me as my P99. Which is fine. Now, I just get other guns that grab my fancy. I just wish I could shoot the others as well :43:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Actually - the P99 rear sight is wider than most of my other guns. I prefer it because I can pick up the sight picture faster.

I can't explain it - but I've probably gone thru a couple dozen handguns in my lifetime - and NOTHING works as well for me as my P99. Which is fine. Now, I just get other guns that grab my fancy. I just wish I could shoot the others as well :43:
LOL sounds like you are stuck with the P99 for the time being then, why fight it. You can alway buy other guns, but that one will just be your best, thats how I feel about my USPf, I shoot it even better than my 1911's...just the way it is.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL sounds like you are stuck with the P99 for the time being then, why fight it. You can alway buy other guns, but that one will just be your best, thats how I feel about my USPf, I shoot it even better than my 1911's...just the way it is.
Yea - that is the case. I really don't understand it...

I was just trying to decide if I should get one of those threaded barrel USPc's or not... Just trying to justify it to myself I guess...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, seems you are really in love with those P99 sights. How about getting some similar for the HK and see how you do. Your eyes may just be so used to the P99 sights that, that is what they search for and what you're not getting out of the HK.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yea - that is the case. I really don't understand it...

I was just trying to decide if I should get one of those threaded barrel USPc's or not... Just trying to justify it to myself I guess...
you can only buy guns that are going to be your best shooters...sheesh, what a small collection you must have!

honestly, I really cant figure out a how great a gun will be until I shoot it extensively, I sure can figure out the ones I hate quickly though. If you want it get it, I mean you know you wont hate it, and if you find you dont shoot it enough you can sell it for near what you paid for it.

Life seems long...but it isnt (most days)...if a putting down a grand for a gun is going to make it a little bit happier...do it...money will keep flowing...but HK may stop making the USPCT one day hehe.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts