HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any real difference other than the grip details to favor one over the other?

If I were allowed a wild a$$ guess, I'd wonder that the USPc be somewhat over engineered compared to the P2000, but that is 1000% speculation. Is one designed to higher rd count before needing refurb or anything? They seem to be almost interchangeable as far as the role they play in the lineup and functionality.

Thanks for spending any time on this one.

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,392 Posts
Well with the P2000 you have an ambi slide release, the interchangeable back straps and the standard rail. But the USP compact does give you a cocked and locked carry option, but if you're doing DA or LEM that's a non-issue.

I can't really say that the USP compact is "over engineered" and can go a higher round count. I am just going to assume that 99.9% of the members on this board love their HKs but will never shoot them so much that they will be in need of major service. I have 15,000 rounds through my P2000 and all HK said was change the recoil spring and the trigger return spring, if I wanted to, Or I could wait until 20,0000.

Either one you choose, you'll have an excellent weapon that will serve you well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm going back and forth between a USPc or P2000 for my first HK for HD/CCW. I like the somewhat slimmer profile of the P2000, but kind of think the grip may not be quite "grippy" enough on the P2K, and the USPc feels ever so slightly better in the hand.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I'm going back and forth between a USPc or P2000 for my first HK for HD/CCW. I like the somewhat slimmer profile of the P2000, but kind of think the grip may not be quite "grippy" enough on the P2K, and the USPc feels ever so slightly better in the hand.
Wrap some hockey tape on it. For CCW either will be fine, but don't go get something "grippy" like a P30 and think that will be a comfortable EDC.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The P2000 is a product-improved USPC. Not improved enough for HK to discontinue the USP.

Main difference is the P2000 grip which is more M1911 type and slightly flatter than the USPC. Not improved enough for me to trade my USPC for one though I'd get the P2000 if I was buying.

The P2000 was primarily designed as an LEM pistol. The DA/SA version (V3) was introduced for the "USA Market." HK did not keep the same V-numbers as the USP or HK45 series in the P2000 which causes some confusion.

Neither is worth having in DA/SA, the hardest trigger system to master and maintain skills. The USP series gives you the opportunity of nearly a dozen variants if you want to play with them -- probably the reason HK continued the line. I converted my USPC from V1 (DA/SA) to V3 (DA/SA decock only) to LEM to Light LEM (no safety). The P2000 has no such options and is either factory DA/SA or LEM. (Note there is an unofficial kit to convert the P2000 DA/SA to LEM that appears to work perfectly.)

-- Chuck

·
Registered
313 Posts
Wrap some hockey tape on it. For CCW either will be fine, but don't go get something "grippy" like a P30 and think that will be a comfortable EDC.
Yeah I've read where the grip on the P30 and bare skin do not get along. Do you feel the textured grip on the USPc would be the same? I wanted to like the P30, but while the grip was comfortable, I found the grip on the P2000 just as much so. I also like how the USPc and P2000 are smaller. The killer for the P30 for me was the grooved trigger guard. On the three times I shot a rental, it dug into my trigger finger leading to a distraction while shooting, and a blister afterwards.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I am very pleased with my P2000 V3 in DA/SA I would go with the P2000 as it is an evolved design. I have experienced no grip slip issues. The P2000 grip texture is fine for shooting yet not abrasive for concealed carry. I have taken the time to master shooting classic DA/SA and have no use for the LEM system what so ever. Bill

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I am very pleased with my P2000 V3 in DA/SA I would go with the P2000 as it is an evolved design. I have experienced no grip slip issues. The P2000 grip texture is fine for shooting yet not abrasive for concealed carry. I have taken the time to master shooting classic DA/SA and have no use for the LEM system what so ever. Bill
That's what I'm talking about right there!

My next HK will be a P2000 V3 9mm

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Yeah I've read where the grip on the P30 and bare skin do not get along. Do you feel the textured grip on the USPc would be the same? I wanted to like the P30, but while the grip was comfortable, I found the grip on the P2000 just as much so. I also like how the USPc and P2000 are smaller. The killer for the P30 for me was the grooved trigger guard. On the three times I shot a rental, it dug into my trigger finger leading to a distraction while shooting, and a blister afterwards.
No the P30 grip is more abrasive than the USP grip. As far as the grooved trigger guard you can train to get over that or send it to get a Vickers mod and get that removed. In all honesty (and I know this will sound cliche) You can not go wrong. The P30 with a little more effort can be concealed, it's just easier with the P2000/P2ksk.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Neither is worth having in DA/SA, the hardest trigger system to master and maintain skills. -- Chuck
HK45c V1 all double action pulls all quick draw from holster, after 1 month of dedicated dry firing every night and a couple range trips... Now I know my groups aren't the size of a quarter but I'll take this at 10 yards.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The circled are LEM shots from my newly acquired HK45c LEM GGI... Now I'm shooting my LEM just as good. Chuck you have alot of knowledge and good info but you plant a major seed of doubt for new shooters when they come along and handicap them, I know when I first came to the forum I thought I was the dumbest guy in the world because of comments such as the one you made... To the OP, listen to who you want but know that everything (HK wise) can be learned. Like I said buddy, You LITERALLY can not go wrong with either HK and either Variant, buy what's gonna make you happy.

·
Registered
281 Posts
No the P30 grip is more abrasive than the USP grip. As far as the grooved trigger guard you can train to get over that or send it to get a Vickers mod and get that removed. In all honesty (and I know this will sound cliche) You can not go wrong. The P30 with a little more effort can be concealed, it's just easier with the P2000/P2ksk.
Could you explain the "Vickers mod?" Will it round out the square trigger guard angle? Does it make the USP compact trigger guard similar to that of the full size? TIA

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Could you explain the "Vickers mod?" Will it round out the square trigger guard angle? Does it make the USP compact trigger guard similar to that of the full size? TIA
Are you talking about the Trigger guard or the hump in the middle of the trigger guard? To my understanding with the Vickers mod the hump in the middle of the trigger guard is shaved down.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Darebare --

As you say, "after 1 month of dedicated dry firing every night and a couple range trips..." :wink:

Never said DA/SA couldn't be mastered, just that there's no reason to fool with it unless your department or agency makes you carry one. There are no advantages to DA/SA, only disadvantages.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Darebare --

As you say, "after 1 month of dedicated dry firing every night and a couple range trips..." :wink:

Never said DA/SA couldn't be mastered, just that there's no reason to fool with it unless your department or agency makes you carry one. There are no advantages to DA/SA, only disadvantages.

-- Chuck
You're a disadvantage to the human race, Chuck.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Darebare --

-- Chuck
No reason to fool with DA/SA unless your department issues it... give me a break! If that's not an ignorant statement I don't know what is. Just because you couldn't master DA/SA doesn't mean you gotta hate on it. haha, what a lame statement.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
You're a disadvantage to the human race, Chuck.
OUCH!!! Man you and Chuck are like oil and water.

To the OP, let us know what HK you get and post pics ASAP... and to Chuck I see what you're saying but it also took me about the same amount of time to get used to LEM.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts