HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Long time lurker on this great forum! I'm about to buy my first handgun (have owned long guns/scatterguns for quite a while). Obviously, the USPc (9mm) is high on my list. This will be a home defense/CCW weapon. My concern is that I'm really thin (6'1", 130#), and I live in TX. I wear t-shirt and shorts all summer, and jeans +/- jacket in the winter. I'm not sure that the USPc is something that I can thoroughly conceal...I get this feeling that maybe I should be looking at pocket pistols instead. But, I really like the USP...maybe somebody can alleviate my concerns and tell me that concealing the compact is really easy! Anybody else out there with a similar situation?

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've just started working on my concealment options. I have an Officer's size 1911 and I'll have a difficult time totally hiding it, especially while seated, at my size (5'9" 160#) and my wardrobe (relatively fitted t-shirts, shorts, jeans). With the wider grip of the HK would be a deal breaker for me if I wanted to try and conceal it.

BUT, you nearly always need to alter your wardrobe and dress around the gun when you start to conceal carry. Whatever you decide, good luck with it.

H

·
0 Posts
I have carried my usp .45C for about 5 years now and even my best friends who know I carry couldn't tell for sure when I was or wasn't armed. At first I used a SOB holster and yes, wore t-shirts or even tank tops and shorts. The only time I had any concern was if I had to bend over in public, then you could see the outline easily. I also didn't like the idea of sitting on the gun while in my vehicle. I have since switched to this in side the waist from Comp-tac
http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=61
I met these guys at a gun show here and they were so helpful in finding this holster after explaining what I wanted and how I intended to carry. They even gave me a chair to sit in so I could see how it felt while driving. At that time they offered military and LEO discounts. I have had this holster for 3 years now and it preforms flawlessly. Gun is always held secure in the holster even on the occasion I have had to make a quick sprint after one of the kids. All while rarely wearing a belt (just clipped on the waist).

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
If you all have a big concern about carrying concealed you should check out the PSP's that are coming in from over seas. They are trades for the new P30's that the European community have take on. You can find them in great shape for $600-700.

I think some may even be in the HK's for sale section.

The only thing I don't like about carrying in small of back is that if you get shoved over or fall on your back you could end up with a broken back from the weapon being there. TJ

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you all have a big concern about carrying concealed you should check out the PSP's that are coming in from over seas. They are trades for the new P30's that the European community have take on. You can find them in great shape for $600-700.TJ
+1

A PSP and two extra magazines are part of my daily carry routine. Tuck a little Kel-tec into your back pocket for good measure and you're better prepared than most. I'm very thin as well and no one at work has a clue that I'm armed (anti-gun nuts).

For nights I'll be out with a jacket and not concerned if someone suspects I'm packing I've been wearing the USP CT and while I appreciate the extra firepower it's just not nearly as comfortable to wear out.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Concealing a USPc has a lot to do with how you carry it and your awareness of it when doing so. I'm a lanky 6'1" 200lbs, and carry my USPc inside my waistband (no kidding, you say;). If I carry it in the 1:00 to 2:00 position under an untucked T-shirt, it is undetectable. I've asked my wife to try to catch me carrying it around the house, but she can't even detect it when I hug her. If I put it IWB in the 3:00 to 4:00 position, it is more comfortable and accessable when seated. However, if I'm wearing only a T-shirt I have to move like a fan dancer to keep it from printing in this position.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Look in to a Milt sparks Versa max 2, or a comp-tac c-tac holster. Both are Inside the waist band and work VERY well!

·
Registered
13 Posts
im also looking at the 9mm USPc... i also want soemthing that is easily concealable. i want a gun thats not to bigand a holster that i can easily conceal

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you all have a big concern about carrying concealed you should check out the PSP's that are coming in from over seas. They are trades for the new P30's that the European community have take on. You can find them in great shape for $600-700.

I think some may even be in the HK's for sale section.

The only thing I don't like about carrying in small of back is that if you get shoved over or fall on your back you could end up with a broken back from the weapon being there. TJ
Ya'll have got me curious about the PSP. Same as the P7M8, right? I like the thumb safety/decocker on the V1 USP, but I can see the squeeze cocker growing on me. Anything special I should know about the P7? i.e. maintenance issues. I imagine that accessories are going to be difficult to find for the P7.
Thanks for the replies so far.

·
Registered
173 Posts
i will never talk anyone out of a uspc but if you are not sure of concealed carry i would suggest looking at a p2000 sk not a pocket pistol but still smaller then a uspc by a lot

·
Banned
77 Posts
I have since switched to this in side the waist from Comp-tac
http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=61

Cheers
+1. I carry my USP40c in a Comp-tac C-tac and no one is the wiser. It covers up just fine under a t-shirt and the holster allows you to tuck your dress shirts in nicely as well.

Im also a small guy, but the USPc is the smallest gun that I would carry. To me, its a perfect fit (but that doesnt stop me from hauling my USP40f along from time to time!).

Also, consider an ankle holster. I found my USPc to ride quite comfortable around my left ankle, but just dont expect to be doing a marathon like that. It is, however, an elegant solution for when waist band carry is out of the question.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Ya'll have got me curious about the PSP. Same as the P7M8, right?...
P7M8 has the mag release on the side of the pistol and has a heat sheild. P7 PSP has the mag release located at the base of the grip and no heat sheild.

D

·
0 Posts
Concealing a USPc has a lot to do with how you carry it and your awareness of it when doing so. I'm a lanky 6'1" 200lbs, and carry my USPc inside my waistband (no kidding, you say;). If I carry it in the 1:00 to 2:00 position under an untucked T-shirt, it is undetectable. I've asked my wife to try to catch me carrying it around the house, but she can't even detect it when I hug her. If I put it IWB in the 3:00 to 4:00 position, it is more comfortable and accessable when seated. However, if I'm wearing only a T-shirt I have to move like a fan dancer to keep it from printing in this position.
Same for me.

5'10" bout 190 lbs, USPc 9 in a High Noon "Mr. Softy" at 1-2 o'clock. You can not see the pistol at all...gone, even in cargo shorts and a white Tee. As close as you can possibly get to Mexican carry....don't even need a belt.

Gun prints on me if I carry any other way unless I have a a loose jacket or zip up sweatshirt. Plus, I'm too paranoid about someone putting their hand on it if I carry anywhere else on my body. Hugs, pats on the waist to say hello, a gentle hand on your waist when someone squeezes by in a crowd, etc.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ya'll have got me curious about the PSP. Same as the P7M8, right? I like the thumb safety/decocker on the V1 USP, but I can see the squeeze cocker growing on me. Anything special I should know about the P7? i.e. maintenance issues. I imagine that accessories are going to be difficult to find for the P7.
Thanks for the replies so far.
The only accessories you're going to need for the P7 will be extra magazines which are very easy to find. There are also several night sights and fiber optic sights options easily available but I don't use them. The P7 is so easy to point and shoot I rarely use the sights for close quarters shooting.

There are tons of information sources available for the P7. Look at it's wiki page for a quick run down:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch_P7

Also read my recent range report about using it at an advanced pistol class a few weeks ago next to a bunch of expensive combat 1911s - 1,000 rounds in two days, zero failures.

Angelina Jolie had two chrome plated M13s in Mr. & Mrs. Smith. If it's good enough for Angie it's good enough for me!

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you are really set on a HK, I would take a look at the P2000 line, especially if you don't need/want the safety/decocker lever. A good holster and belt does wonders for concealment like you wouldn't even imagine. To all you guys that carry appendix or 1 to 2 o'clock region, how do you guys even sit down? I have tried that and it seems impossible. For me, the only thing that works is 5 o'clock really high on the back with a good amount of cant.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts