HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm being serious guys, I'm not joking...

Hey guys, while I can't carry in my home state, I have my FL CCW, and would like a IWB holster for when I do travel to places that honor it, and need some suggestions. While IWB are great, I know with those are are on the fat side like me might have some issues with a slight jelly roll. I'm not huge, but I do have a 38" waist so that may hinder some choices.

My USPc 9mm V1 is coming in the next week or so, and I would like suggestions, especially feedback from those who carry some extra weight like me.

So far Minotaur MTAC looks promising (since the leather doubles as a sweat shield), but would like some input from those that have it. Anyone know if the CTAC its suitable for someone like me as well?

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I'm being serious guys, I'm not joking...

Hey guys, while I can't carry in my home state, I have my FL CCW, and would like a IWB holster for when I do travel to places that honor it, and need some suggestions. While IWB are great, I know with those are are on the fat side like me might have some issues with a slight jelly roll. I'm not huge, but I do have a 38" waist so that may hinder some choices.

My USPc 9mm V1 is coming in the next week or so, and I would like suggestions, especially feedback from those who carry some extra weight like me.

So far Minotaur MTAC looks promising (since the leather doubles as a sweat shield), but would like some input from those that have it. Anyone know if the CTAC its suitable for someone like me as well?

Thanks in advance for any input.
I will speak to this since some day I hope to get down to a 38 waist.
I have found it better to go with a IWB holster that rides low and at a FBI cant angle which prevents it from printing from what as you put it our jelly roll pushing out your uspc 9 causing a print. I use Milt Sparks Summer Special (2SS-2H) holster in horsehide and MacDaniel II from andrews leather both ride low my uspc 45 right at the waist bandnot the best for speed maybe but I forget I have it on and more important others never know I have it on

·
Registered
94 Posts
versamax2?

G

·
I'm new to the HK scene.
I have just recently purchased a USPc-9mm(used) and it came with some holsters as part of the deal.
One is a Brigade Gunleather(M-8).
Easy on and off.
I wish I had a 38" waist.:rolleyes:
GTM1

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hello MueveloNYC!

I think the Minotaur MTAC could help you, if the leather shield is high enough to keep your belly away from your gun.

If that holster doesn´t do the trick for you, perhaps you should look for some other solution then!?

http://www.smartcarry.com/sadsizc.gif

http://magills.com/images/magick_cache/pgroup_609_image_400x600__shadow.gif

http://magills.com/images/magick_cache/pgroup_7001_image_400x600__shadow.jpg

http://www.polasonline.de/WebRoot/S...6CB/4B8F/7212/C0A8/3081/615B/02WH06008_B1.jpg

Don´t know if these solutions might help with your problem (of course what do I know with a 30" waist... ;) )

H.Koch

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL - dude that belly belt with the fake 6 pack is hilarious!

Hmm... so I've narrowed it down to the versamax2 and MTAC... Anyone got any shots?

For those with the jelly roll where do you put the placement? 3:00, 5:00 position?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Haha, I've got the same waist size & same USPc as you do...
Personally I ust a Blade-Tech UCH holster for mine & have no problems concealing it, Comp-Tac makes some really nice ones too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
There are plenty of holster makers who make similar holsters. TT Gunleather makes something very similar to what Milt Sparks provides as well as Brigade Gunleather. They all look very nice. For myself, even though I'm not a large guy, it depends on the gun I want to carry. For heavier guns, I prefers something with two straps on each end of the holster like the Versa Max. For lighter guns, a single strap or belt clip will hold up the weight of the gun nicely.

Other holster makers are Crossbreed, Highnoon Holsters, Del Fatti (nice, expensive, extremely long wait time), and KD Hoslters.

My next holster will likely be from KD Holsters, Brigade Gunleather, or TT Gunleather.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I forgot to mention about other mass produced holsters such as those made by Galco, Blade Tech, and Comp-tac. Less waiting and more carrying and you can usually find those used for a decent price.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea - I know what you mean. I bought AJK Concealco's one with a sweatshield, and it took almost a year to come. (It came while I was away for vacation) Since now I'm changing guns it's already sold, but I can't bring myself to wait THAT long for a holster ever again. LOL

·
2,832 Posts
I know where your coming from :)

I droped 30-40lbs last year(20mins everyother day on an Eliptical, no diet), part of my goal was to be able to wear IWB, now my love handles are pretty much gone and heck I still cant stand a IWB....have many nice ones for many different guns.....

so for me, its pocket carry or a shoulder rig, if I HAVE to I can go IWB...but I will never get use to it or like it. My best bet when I need to stuff something(say a USPc) IWB is the middle of the back area.....but I cant sit or drive ;)

oddly my waist size didnt go down much from 38...but everything else did, which was fine.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My best bet when I need to stuff something(say a USPc) IWB is the middle of the back area.....but I cant sit or drive ;)
Watch out that you don´t fall on your back when carrying your gun in the middle of your back, you might seriously hurt your spine. Thats also a good advice for people who carry their handcuffs there.

H.Koch

By the way...I had to read your post twice, cause the first time I had misread the word "eliptical", thought I had seen "epileptical". ;) :p

·
2,832 Posts
oh I know.....its typicaly just stuffed back there for just a few mins at a time.....like then going into an old mobile home or vacant house or whatever.

Watch out that you don´t fall on your back when carrying your gun in the middle of your back, you might seriously hurt your spine. Thats also a good advice for people who carry their handcuffs there.

H.Koch

By the way...I had to read your post twice, cause the first time I had misread the word "eliptical", thought I had seen "epileptical". ;) :p

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Wait a sec. Can i get an FL CCW out of state also? What do i need to do?
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56512

Valid for most of the gun friendly states in this country. Colorado, Michigan, and one other state won't honor FL CCW for non-FL residents, so be sure to check before carrying/transporting to that state.

I travel, visit family/friends, and do business in VA, NC, FL, PA a lot, so having CCW there is a big plus. CT CCW for non-resident is next on my list, so that pretty much will cover a 300 mile radius of NYC that allow CCW's (NYC/downstate NY/NJ is still a no go :( )

Only state that's not covered, but the Utah CCW (also available for non-residents) is Washington. Since my in-laws live in Seattle and I visit every year, I might apply for Utah's CCW just for that, as WA's CCW process requires a physical visit, vs. Utah's doesn't.

EDIT: I've decided to purchase the MTAC. I figured that demand is so good for it as it's new, that if I don't like it, it shouldn't be a problem finding a buyer for it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
MueveloNYC - please post your thoughts on that MTAC when it gets there. I love the CTAC, but I think I'd like the MTAC even more. The tabs on the CTAC don't keep mine in place as well as they could, I'm on the fence about buying one.

I kinda cringe at the thought, but maybe it's time for a fat-guy CCW picture thread? Seriously, one shot dressed and one shot showing the holster setup (undershirt REQUIRED!). Might help sort out the holster question once and for all? Maybe even the skinny guys can have one...

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have the same size waist and my CCW is my USP 9mm fullsize in an MTAC. ;) Works great and I can only imagine a compact would be even better.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts