HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been in the USP bandwagon for quite some time. Starting with a USP .40 V3 and then a V4 to match it. Sold up for a USPc .40 Stainless Steel. Now I'm looking to switch to a P-2000 or P-30 V3 also in .40 cal. So, which should I go with? I know the differences between the two quite well. Is there any advantage in having the picatinny rail vs the single-notch accessory rail? Clearly the P-30 looks more bad ass with the picatinny rail but what's the durability of the grip panels? Do they stay on steady or wiggle? Thanks for the info and opinions!

Semper Fi,
Sgt Swat

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
A couple of thoughts. The P2000 is pretty much the same size pistol as your USPc, while the P30 is more of a full size pistol. The .40 USPc mags will interchange with the P2000, while you'll have to buy all new mags for the P30. The rail under the frame is really only of importance if you intend to hang something there. The picatinny rail is more easy to accessorize, but I think you can get an adapter for the USP single notch. The P30 grips have more flexibility for fitting different size hands than the P2000. I'd say handle them both and see which you like better. Both are fine guns and it's really up to your personal taste and what you want to do with the gun.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sorry, left out my reasoning for switching. I want to be able to use Blackhawk's Xyphos light and SERPA holster. If I get an adapter for the USPc and add a light, I'd have to send it off to have a custom Kydex holster made. Not knocking Kydex holsters but they're not level 2 and I've come to love the SERPA holster I have already. On that not, what's my better option? Come to think of it, I don't think Blackhawk makes a holster for the P-30 much less the light/holster combo.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Now I'm looking to switch to a P-2000 or P-30 V3 also in .40 cal. So, which should I go with?

Semper Fi,
Sgt Swat
eventually you'll end up buying both of them. ))

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I could afford to keep the USPc I sure would! After I get the P-30 as my EDC I'll get a HK45Compact Tactical as my...well...tactical sidearm. That'll complete what I want for pistols.

Semper Fi,
Sgt. Swat

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I'm still not straight on is this: Why is a P30 listed as an "S Model" at all? Aren't the variant #s and differences the same as with the USP? ie V1 DA/SA Safety& Decock, V3 DA/SA Decock only?? There aren't any HK dealers around here or any others that know much of anything about HKs. :/

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Per the HK webpage, the S model has an ambidextrous safety lever on each side of the frame, like a 1911, so it can be carried cocked and locked. The standard P30 doesn't have an external safety. It only has the push in decocker button on the rear of the slide, next to the hammer (which is also on the P30S).

·
Premium Member
5,016 Posts
I'd be hard pressed to base a purchase opinion on whether or not the pistol fit a Serpa holster. Especially since every reputable trainer and training facility are banning their use. Feel free to Google Blackhawk Serpa. Personally, there's no reason to switch from what you have, the USPc is basically a P2000 without the ergo modifications and industry standard rail. As for the P30, it is larger, the abrasive texture will tear you a new ass while carrying IWB without under shirt and you gain a whopping one round.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Damn you! LoL Now you've really got me considering getting a P30 and keeping both! In that case I might as well just add a HK45CT instead. LoL Putting doubts in my head! I do like the grip on the P30 tho and I don't carry IWB anyway. As far as the SERPA, I love it. I've had no problems with it over 6 years and 4 guns (2 HKs, Glock and 1911). I honestly believe the ND issue is a training problem, not equipment. As for breakages, anything will break with abuse. And the mechanism getting stuck: anything will get stuck if you don't do any kind of maintenance.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hope I'm not being accused of padding. This isn't my first forum and I didn't register just so I could sell. I love my HKs and I'm proud to be an owner and as such I got tired of lurking in the shadows and decided its just time to go ahead and register. I DO want to sell my USPc for another model HK and that obviously is something I want to take advantage of in this site...but it's by far the sole reason I registered and subscribe to every thread I post in. That said, I'd answered my own question when I realized the rule is 30 posts AND 21 days, apparently not 30 posts OR 21 days as I'd originally interpreted the wording elsewhere. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I would say go for a P30 or P30L. P2000 is similar to your USPc.
You already have a stellar Hk but if you want to change just to change this is some nice advice. I never help a P2000 or sk so no help there. The P30s v3 as i have has a safety(s) and decocker on the back unlike the USPc being a safety and de-cocker.

I'd be hard pressed to base a purchase opinion on whether or not the pistol fit a Serpa holster. Especially since every reputable trainer and training facility are banning their use. Feel free to Google Blackhawk Serpa. Personally, there's no reason to switch from what you have, the USPc is basically a P2000 without the ergo modifications and industry standard rail. As for the P30, it is larger, the abrasive texture will tear you a new ass while carrying IWB without under shirt and you gain a whopping one round.
There was just a thread about the serpa's on a forum maybe here not long ago. This is great advice i would take seriously!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts