HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently got my Concealed Carry Permit (and it has a dang fine picture of me, if I do say so myself), but I haven't been carrying. Somebody said something to me today that really hit me hard as to why I should be. I've pretty much been saying, "Well... I'll really start carrying more often whenever I get a smaller weapon." Well now I'm ready. I'm in the market for either a USPc or a P2000.

Here's some info about what I like:
-My USPf .40 is a V1 - DA/SA. Use to shoot DA first shot and SA rest of them, but the more I shoot, the more I like riding the safety, and I now draw mostly from Cocked & Locked. One consideration as a result is that I can get a safety to ride with a USP but not with a P2000.

-I've never shot the LEM trigger, but I would love to try it. If it's as smooth as people say, then I can handle that first long pull and get the short reset on the rest of the shots so that it feels like I'm shooting SA. To me, this seems like an ideal trigger setup for a concealed-carry pistol.

What would you all say? Who likes the P2000 and who likes the USPc? What are some strengths of each? At this point I'm leaning toward a USPc with an LEM and a safety (so I can ride it). Would a safety make the weapon more uncomfortable when carrying IWB? If I'm gonna walk around with this thing all day, I want it to be comfortable. Please, hit me up with any recommendations/personal experiences with these two weapons.

Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well I own a P2000 9mm LEM and I love it. I can't vouch for a USPc because the only one I have ever shot is my USP CT and it isn't really a compact weapon.

I do however like the LEM trigger. I had looked at P2000's for awhile but never got one because I read all of these forums talking about how if you are used to shooting a DA/SA or SA only you would not like the LEM trigger. So I waited until I found a used one in case I didn't like it.

The first time at the range I shot my P2000 as good if not better than any of my other pistols. I love the LEM trigger and would highly recommed it for anyone looking for a CCW. But I don't think you could go wrong with a P2000 or a USPc. It all comes down to personal preference anyways.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My USPc has the v1 trigger which i like alot bc the DA pull isnt too bad and SA pull has a pretty nice break.

My friend has a .40LEM USPc and he hates it. I dry fired it a few times to get used to the trigger and thought that he just didnt know what he was talking about bc yes the pull is very light and long but with a fairly light break at the end.

Then i shot it. I couldnt shot it well at all. The trigger break to me was very unpredictable. Shots were all over the target. To me the snappy recoil of the .40 makes unpredictable trigger even worse bc i tend to anticipate the recoil more.

You definitely want to shoot the LEM before u buy. I dont think ive ever shot a gun with a trigger quite like it and it would definitely take some getting used to IMHO.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I would recommend the LEM for carry. I like it as I like DAO style guns. Though you could also get the DA/SA P2000.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hard to quantify why.... but the P2000 just seems to carry smaller and more comfortably than the compact.

To keep it in perspective though without a P2000 around I would prefer to carry the compact over any other pistol.

·
Registered
404 Posts
p2000sk?

have you thought about the p2000sk? the p2000 is actually longer then the uspc 7.00 " vs 6.81" but the p2000sk is even smaller 6.41" long. its just a little bit bigger then the baby glock. i carry it off duty all the time because it is so small you forget its there. you can get it LEM or DA/SA. Mine is chambered in .357 sig and it shoots great. my sig p226 .357sig which is a full size weapon has more recoil then the tiny p2ksk. I think its great for a small weapon to be able to carry 10 rnds of 357 sig which pack a mean punch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I went with the USPc because of the safety lever.

It is a bit bigger than I thought it was going to be, though. From looking at the stats I thought it was going to be the same as - or maybe even a tiny bit smaller than - a G19... it's not (or at least it doesn't seem to be based on my memory of the last G19 I held).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not really putting the P2000sk on the table at this time. I don't care much for subcompacts (ie: don't like the two-finger grip).

Kaiser, I'm glad to hear about the whole "stats say it's smaller, but in practice it's really not" remark. What carry setup do you use, and how comfortable is that with the safety lever in there? Also, do you carry V1 or a LEM with safety lever?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I haven't actually carried it on me anywhere yet. I've had my CHL for almost 2 years but I never got around to actually doing it. I have a Blackhawk serpa OWB holster on order and plan to carry it a little bit - but that setup will require a jacket or other large loose clothing to keep it concealed.

AAR, I took some pics of the new one next to the old one (USPf VS USPc) if you'd like to see the difference: HERE

It's certainly a concealable weapon - but it's no subcompact ;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I carry and find my SK is much more comfortable in my IWB holster, the tapered slide just sits much easier. I might actully look to trade my USPc for a P2000 because of the way they feel in my belt.

·
Registered
131 Posts
When it comes down to the USPC vs the P2000, this magic forumla seems to work for most people.

If you want to carry condition one (hammer back, safety on), get a USP9C.

If you want the LEM trigger or prefer hammer down carry, get a P2000.

Most people seem to prefer the way the P2000 feels.

The only major difference between the two guns in terms of functionality is the USP's manual safety.

If both guns fit your requirements, go with which feels better. In terms of reliability, durability and accuracy, there is no difference between the two.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think Im in the minority in saying I like the USPc LEM better than the P2000 LEM. For some reason I can shoot it better and faster. The shorter reset on the USPc helps out a good amount. Alot of people don't like the aggressive checkering on the USP's but I love it, gives me a great hold on the weapon especially if sweating.

One major plus for the P2000 is that it feels WAY more comfortable to carry. The USPc is pretty thick in the slide area and can be uncomfortable. The USPc and P2000 are my favorite all around guns.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The numbers say that the the USPc is supposed to be more narrow than the P2000, but everyone seems to think the opposite. I wonder if it has to do with the massive slide release lever on the USPc?

I guess it really boils down to me having to shoot both of them.... Whoah, wait a minute... faris13, I just saw that you're in Lexington. That's where I am. We might have to get together and shoot sometime.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
If you like your USPf then I would get the compact. My fullsize is too big for carry as well but the compact is just right.

Try the LEM before you buy it. If you are used to DA/SA the LEM maybe too different for you to get used to. This is my situation.

The P2k is a great weapon too but you can't beat having the exact same manual of arms with both your weapons.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The numbers say that the the USPc is supposed to be more narrow than the P2000, but everyone seems to think the opposite. I wonder if it has to do with the massive slide release lever on the USPc?
It is the ambidextrous slidestop that gives the P2000 that extra width. The P2000 overall is supposed to be a much better carry gun.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't think the slide release or safety/decock levers are as big a deal as you're making of them (in terms of sticking out or making the gun uncomfortable to carry).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you like your USPf then I would get the compact. My fullsize is too big for carry as well but the compact is just right.....
The P2k is a great weapon too but you can't beat having the exact same manual of arms with both your weapons.
That is a huge part of my line of reasoning. I actually considered getting something else entirely for a while (probably an XD, or a subcompact M&P with extended mag as those were the smallest weapons I could get a full hand grip on) but the idea of redundancy being better was just too appealing for me. I couldn't get see myself training on a USPf for duty type use any other gun besides a USPc for concealed-carry. Less things to learn = less confusion when rounds start flying.

I think I'm going to go ahead and make the decision to go with the USPc, but I have to now find one with an LEM on it for me to try out to decide between the two trigger options.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Leatherneck we can definately head out to the range and you can take both my P2000 and USPc for a spin =). The only thing is I now have a P2000 .357 sig instead of 9mm. So I have the USPc 9mm and P2000 .357 sig both LEM version. You can at least get a feel of the triggers and ergonomics of both.

I usually go to Bud's range so let me know what day works best for you and we can meet up out there.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
That is a huge part of my line of reasoning. I actually considered getting something else entirely for a while (probably an XD, or a subcompact M&P with extended mag as those were the smallest weapons I could get a full hand grip on) but the idea of redundancy being better was just too appealing for me. I couldn't get see myself training on a USPf for duty type use any other gun besides a USPc for concealed-carry. Less things to learn = less confusion when rounds start flying.

I think I'm going to go ahead and make the decision to go with the USPc, but I have to now find one with an LEM on it for me to try out to decide between the two trigger options.
Stick with the HK's. Personally, neither the M&P nor the XD have impressed me to the degree that any HK can.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts