HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I can't seem to find a holster made for the USPCT with the raised sights. I saw Big Bore's thread on the Bluegrass Leather's Holster. Bluegrass Leather's website appears to be down.

Regardless I was looking for a kydex option anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I'm not sure what happened to Brock at Bluegrass Leather. I heard he had some health problems but I have not heard jack squat out of him in months. That is a real shame too because he was making a leather Hybrid Ghost that is exactly what you want. It was a Kydex shell made on a leather back piece and the one she sent me to try out works great. The only problem I had was the sight channel did not line up correctly with the sights and on a standard USPC that was no problem but if they had lined up the CT would have cleared easily.
Here is what it looked like and the sight problem which I am sure he would have gotten worked out before production began.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I keep hearing and reading great things about Bluegrass Holsters. I hope he is ok and can maybe start making them again. They seem like high quality holsters. I will be in the market for the same thing soon.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't realize his was kydex. I think I'm going to contact some holster manufacturers and see if they are willing to make me one.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
He had just started making the Kydex Hybrid when he seemed to drop off the face of the earth. Just tonight I took the heat gun out and reformed the Hybrid for my USPCT to reposition and enlarge the front sight channel as well as form the lower front end so I can leave the Surefire light adapter on the frame and still holster the pistol. Kydex is very easy to work with if you have a heat gun and it can be formed over and over again.
The big problem with most holsters for the CT is if you have the tall sights. If it is a Kydex you can pick up a $20 heat gun from a hardware store and likely be able to reform the sight channel and stretch it out so it will clear the front sight. I was shocked at how easy it was to remold with just a little bit of heat but do be careful, it takes enough heat that you can burn yourself if you try to reshape with bare fingers. cotton jersey gloves are thick enough to keep you from getting scorched.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I contacted Blade-tech CS tonight and received 2 responses already. According to my CS rep they do make holsters for the compact tactical despite the fact they aren't listed on the website. I was advised to order a similar item and leave a note in the additional comments section during checkout with the actual model.

Looks like I will be adding a fourth blade-tech holster to my collection sometime in the near future.

·
Registered
19 Posts
John, my apologies, I just re-read your post and I see you are set on a Kydex holster. I'm still going to leave my post here for you:

I have a Greg Kramer IWB # 2 for my 45acp CT. It allows the use of the raised Novaks sights that HK supplies with the CT model. This is a cowhide or horsehide holster(in my case horsehide) available in black or cordovan. It is wet molded for excellent retention without the need of a thumbstrap or safety strap.
I personally do not like plastic(Kydex) holsters. Although impervious to wear and moisture I find them to be very uncomfortable and ugly. For those who care, Kydex will abrade the finish off their firearms at the high edge points much faster and more effeciently than any decent leather holster.
Leather holsters are much more comfortable when carrying a pistol for hours on end, not just strapping one on to go get milk at the convenience store. A well made horsehide holster by a maker such as Kramer, Ken Null, Sparks, Rosen, etc. will outlast the owner of the holster. They are a little thicker than Kydex but not so much that it creates a problem.

If you are interested, call Kramer's and ask for the manager, Kim, who is Greg's wife.

HTH

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the information. I'm sure I'm not the only person trying to find a holster for this model.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts