HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a KF USPF40. I also own a 9mm compact and fullsize. I noticed some differences in this gun. It has the white dots on both sides of the sights. Why is this? I've attached a pic but it's hard to see. Also the top of the barrel hood (locking lug) is shiny. Looking at the rest of the gun (very minor wear) it appears to have come this way. Anybody else have one like this? Was this an early way they did them? thanks.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
The holes are drilled through the sights in order to accomadate Tritium vials for night sites. You would usually send them to Trijicon to have the vials installed.

As for the barrel hood, it almost appears as if thats a stainless steel CCF barrel. Or Jarvis, but i dont know if they have stainless barrels or not.
:confused:

Is the whole barrel shiney like that, or is it just the top of the hood? Also, is the gun new or used?

If it was used it may be a "polishing" job or something like that.... But i've never seen a "shiney" Factory HK barrel.

Can you get some closeups of the barrel itself, and the markings etc...?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
definitely a factory barrel. serialized to gun, hk proof marks, etc. only the top is shiny but it's not really polished because it still has really light machining lines running from front to back on it. The entire remainder of the barrel is black. I,ve tried to take better pics but it isn't gonna happen with my camera. I think some of the experts or elites came this way also, but nobody ever takes pictures from the top so I can't really show you. I looked but no luck.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
It very well could have been a factory "polish" job to eliminate the standard wear marks that develop over time.

I know the Experts & Elites are supposed to have a "fitted" barrel locking block, so mabey this barrel got the same treatment...

Hopefully some others will chime in and have some more opinions.

It most certainly shouldn't be "bad". Even if the metal is exposed, the Nitro Carburizing penetrates into the metal and protects it quite deeply.

·
Registered
329 Posts
My USP40F has the top polished much in the same way as the one pictured. KE date coded, all matching serials. Only the top is polished, the right side still has (or had, the previous owner tried to sand it off to make it match) the black finish. I'm not sure if it's "fitted". I've used other USP's but but the barrel locking into the slide is the last thing I paid attention to.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well KE, KF seem to be the magic numbers. My other two are later dated, so I've never seen this. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts