HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a USP Compact stainless, and a Sig p232 stainless. I must say, the HK has a much nicer feeling finish on the stainless steel slide. The Sig p232's finish varies across the metal.

This leads to my question...
Does anybody know how the USP's stainless slide is treated? I almost has a teflon feel to it, like it's an NP3 coating, but I don't know if that's true. I'm thinking this is the place to find out for sure. I know it's not just raw stainless steel.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a USP Compact stainless, and a Sig p232 stainless. I must say, the HK has a much nicer feeling finish on the stainless steel slide. The Sig p232's finish varies across the metal.

This leads to my question...
Does anybody know how the USP's stainless slide is treated? I almost has a teflon feel to it, like it's an NP3 coating, but I don't know if that's true. I'm thinking this is the place to find out for sure. I know it's not just raw stainless steel.
It's not treated, the difference you feel is simply the difference in quality of the machining. HK manufactures everything in-house on their own machinery and they hold their products to exacting standards. The old Sigs used to be on par with them. Unfortunately, Sig-Sauer's quality has went down hill substantially in the last 6-7 years or so.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
There is no 'coating', its Ordnance Grade stainless steel, what you see, is
what you get >> Ordnance Grade stainless steel!

=)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Nice info. i have seen the same but in pics my Sigs are all long gone. Thank for the info.

It's not treated, the difference you feel is simply the difference in quality of the machining. HK manufactures everything in-house on their own machinery and they hold their products to exacting standards. The old Sigs used to be on par with them. Unfortunately, Sig-Sauer's quality has went down hill substantially in the last 6-7 years or so.
I have 2 s/s in 9mm and .45 it is done in the best quality stainless i have see. Tooling may have alot to do this also, thanks

=)

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I have so many stainless steel pistols and rifles it should be a sin, and of all the makes and surface treatments to the stainless steel, HK's is the most pleasing to me followed by the subdued Ruger gray treatment. Then S&W, standard Ruger, TC, NAA,... but I absofreakinglutely HATE the Ruger mirror polished ss finish on some of their SS pistols and the worst of all, the AMT Backup. Its stainless rusts about as quick as unprotected blued steel. For a stainless pistol that pistol is about as useless as boobs on a boar hog.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts

=)
Well I a have question then... I bought a stripped stainless USP slide a while back that has a dull finish and a grittier texture than the typical stainless USP slide. My guess is that it had been sitting in a warehouse for a few years or that someone had tried to alter the finish themselves.

In any case, my question is - what can I do to restore it to the original stainless finish that we all know and love?

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
From what I understand, there are two types of stainless slides. There were a small number of "matte" stainless slides made that look more dull than the regular. Is that what your slide looks like?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Ordnance grade stainless steel! Awesome. So glad HK still delivers high quality products

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Here is a photo of my NIB HK USP 9mm with a build date of 1996 (KG) with the factory satin stainless finish. I understand they only offered this for a couple of years.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
I suppose it is possible that i ended up with on of those, but it looks like it has just had a rough life. I'll try to get some pictures up when I get home...

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Here are some shots of the slide next to "normal" stainless USP slides...

You can see from the marking on the slide that it has not been refinished.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
maybe its just the size of the bead they use for blasting?? coarse vs fine I would imagine..........

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,395 Posts
I still want a USP 45 Stainless....some day.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Pinion's USP .45 in the photo is a KH date code and mine is a KG. So I guess they did offer this finish for two years.
If my slide is one of the few from that run I might feel a little guilty about having it refinished... Now I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. :(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts