HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shooting my USP .45F in Limited, USPSA, and really enjoy it, and I'm wondering if there is any practical way to increase the mag size, or get larger mags, and still be legal in Limited. I love the gun, but it would be nice to get a few more rounds into it. .......Thanx.......

·
Registered
510 Posts
do a search on this. I know there are at least 2 people who have been working on a very high cap mag and have talked about it reciently, like in the last 30 days.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
You can try your luck with the Pro-Mag 20 round magazine. The magazine by itself is supposedly crap but after switching out the stock mag springs for Wolff springs a few guys have had no problems or issues. There have been a couple threads in the past on this.
Good luck

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
You can try your luck with the Pro-Mag 20 round magazine. The magazine by itself is supposedly crap but after switching out the stock mag springs for Wolff springs a few guys have had no problems or issues. There have been a couple threads in the past on this.
Good luck

Yeah, I have heard the same.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Get yourself a different caliber. With a 45, the most you will ever be able to stuff into a magazine that is 140mm long is about 14-15 rounds. That is simply not enough to make it worth while to use in Limited. If you can't get at least 18 rounds into the mag, don't bother. The 20 round pro-mag is too long and not USPSA legal for Limited.

The reason why you need at least 18 rounds is the stages are usually set up to have 8-9 round shooting arrays per position. By having 18 round mags, you can generally shoot 2 arrays between reloading. For most stages you will ever shoot, that results in one reload per stage. If you don't have 18 rounds in the mag, you are forced to reload between each target array. Essentially it would be like shooting in Limited 10 except you have a few extra backup rounds that you will normally not use.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx Scooter. I'm sure you're right. But I shoot these matches more for fun and practice than for competition, and was just looking for an easy way to cram a few more in my USP 45.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Even if you get 14-15 rounds, you rarely, if ever, use those extra rounds. You still end up shooting 8-9 rounds per array, then reloading as you go to the next array. The only time the extra rounds come in handy is if you missed a lot. But missing a shot always takes up more time than spending the extra .10 second to aim and not miss.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Even if you get 14-15 rounds, you rarely, if ever, use those extra rounds. You still end up shooting 8-9 rounds per array, then reloading as you go to the next array. The only time the extra rounds come in handy is if you missed a lot. But missing a shot always takes up more time than spending the extra .10 second to aim and not miss.
Oh, I don't know... there are lots of stage sections where 12 makes a BIG difference over the 10 round mags I have to use in California, and some where 16 is the magic number. If you could get a 16 round mag, that would be awesome. The more the merrier.
I do like the Limited 10 match for that very reason.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I shot production all this year instead of Limited. I think I've only done one static reload because I screwed up and missed a few steel plates. Other than that 10 works fine. For Limited, 16 isn't enough, you really need minimum of 18. Remember rules allow for a maximum of 9 shots per shooting position.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts