HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a USPT 45 the other day that was sold as used, but upon receipt, it's clearly new, unfired ()maybe someone bought it, but they never shot it). So I did the checks related to in the "what makes the Expert trigger better" thread, and see that it has the blue hammer spring, so I suppose it has the standard leaf spring and trigger reset spring.

Trigger pull is crisp, but around 4.5-5 pounds according to my finger scale. DA pull is heavy and above 10#, I'd guess.

So I ordered the match trigger reset spring, match leaf sear spring and match hammer spring from HKParts last night.

I will replace all three springs, but my question is, which of the three makes the biggest difference in pull weight, or is it the combo that does it?

I'm thinking the hammer spring will make a small difference in SA, and a noticeable difference in DA.

I can only imagine that the trigger reset spring will change the "preload of the trigger, not the actual pull/release weight.

I read that the sear spring being nickel plated helps to keep the pull smooth, not gritty.

So with the parts, how much of a reduction from the theoretical 4.5-5# will I see?

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Your Tactical already has a Match trigger, same set up as on Expert. Honestly, putting about 1000 rounds on it will sweeten it up even more.
I would not do further work to the trigger, just shoot it alot.
Congrats on your Tactical, please post photos!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
The Match hammer spring will lower the DA/SA pull a bit as you mentioned. The Match sear spring is what gives you the crispy trigger break.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your Tactical already has a Match trigger, same set up as on Expert. Honestly, putting about 1000 rounds on it will sweeten it up even more.
I would not do further work to the trigger, just shoot it alot.
Congrats on your Tactical, please post photos!

Well, I had an Expert and this is not the same trigger pull. The expert is nearly the best I've ever felt on any gun. I saw a post by, I think toosixy, that showed that more recent USPT's don't have all the match trigger parts, just the match trigger itself with the overtravel stop. This one is a BD code (2013).

·
Registered
289 Posts
Why does HK do these little changes that confuse us? I could not detect any difference between the USP Match triggers in my USP9 Expert, USP9Tactical and USP45Tactical. But, the USP45Tactical felt different. I never pursued the reason for the difference. Actually, I felt the trigger in the Mark 23 was the smoothest and broke cleanest of any of the 10 HK"s I owned, but the pull was highest, by far, some where around 7 pounds SA. The absolute best HK for all around trigger pull is the p7m8, IMO.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Why does HK do these little changes that confuse us? I could not detect any difference between the USP Match triggers in my USP9 Expert, USP9Tactical and USP45Tactical. But, the USP45Tactical felt different. I never pursued the reason for the difference. Actually, I felt the trigger in the Mark 23 was the smoothest and broke cleanest of any of the 10 HK"s I owned, but the pull was highest, by far, some where around 7 pounds SA. The absolute best HK for all around trigger pull is the p7m8, IMO.
I believe the Tactical was never meant to be a soft shooting gun like the Expert or Elite hence the heavier springs. Older Tacticals used to come with the same Match parts as the Experts/Elites until recently.

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,585 Posts
What about the Flat Sear Spring?

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,585 Posts
What about it?
Isn't it different? USP is part number 214167 and the match nickel-plated is 215691. If you want to upgrade your USP Tactical to a match trigger, don't you need to do the flat spring too?

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Isn't it different? USP is part number 214167 and the match nickel-plated is 215691. If you want to upgrade your USP Tactical to a match trigger, don't you need to do the flat spring too?
Yes, it's one of the 3 springs that SOLgardener mentioned in his original post.

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,585 Posts
Yes, it's one of the 3 springs that SOLgardener mentioned in his original post.
Ah, so he did!

Working on 3 things at once and I missed it. Here's what has most of my attention at the moment. Notice anything different? HK417

Found the broken links and added the pictures again. The World of HK lives again!

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
I agree it's confusing, I wasn't aware HK down graded the Match trigger group on the Tactical.

I feel the Operators that use the Tactical do indeed require/need/deserve the same Match trigger as Expert / Elite.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I debated serisously (for all of three days) on whether to convert to the full match or leave it as is since the break is pretty dang clean, and the pull is better than my well used P226, which is pretty nice in and of itself.

But I plan to hunt with this and target shoot, so the slightly less pull weight should be an advantage there, plus it was going to go otherwise un-fiddled with, and we can't have that!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I recieved my match parts from hkparts today and did the install. I used foreceps on the trigger return spring, and it worked well. Got it in on the second try after a search of the floor from the first attempt. I can't tell much difference from the hammer spring, but overall the reduction is great. Worth the cost for sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts