HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
after a Kb close call from a blown range pick up brass which chipped my mag lip a little (i had a thread on this), i didn't notice anything wrong with the pistol. i went on to finish (and win!) the match without a hiccup from the pistol. i shot 60 rounds for practice days after the match and didn't notice anything wrong with the extraction. then, a while ago while staring at and admiring the gun, i saw something i didn't remember seeing before. this:

i can't easily order parts from my location. i'm not sure if the blown brass incident caused this because based on how the chamber hood is imrpessed on the brass the blown base portion of the brass seems to be @ 7:00 postion when viewed from behind the chamber looking down-barrel. I also couldn't think though of how else this might have happened. My question is: how bad do i need replacement extractor? the pistol is still perfectly reliable now... could i leave it as is? or could i remove it and straiten it up? please help...

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
Can't really straighten it, since it is tool hardened MIM, it will break. If it is a social gun, by all means replace it as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Wow... I've never seen that... I would have to think it came from the close KB.

Even though the pistol has been perfectly reliable. I would get it replaced ASAP or at least before you do any more shooting with it. It could be damaging a part of the slide or a component that you can't see. It could be reliable now but 500 rounds from now it may start to cause issues... Id get it fixed

BTW congrats on the match win with a damaged pistol... shows just how tough the USP is :25:

·
Registered
854 Posts
Absolutely get it looked at by a competent gunsmith and get the parts replaced...you wouldn't drive a car with a bent wheel or a bad waterpump--don't shoot an obviously damaged pistol....

If it had been a Glock you wouldn't have to worry about it cuz it woulda nuked the thing....you want it to take abuse and still be deadnuts reliable; Germany for the win!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Put a straight edge on the slide in the same place and see if the slide is bulged. I'd check the frame too as it's made of much weaker material.

Blown range pick up brass? Gotta be a lesson there somewhere.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
854 Posts
Put a straight edge on the slide in the same place and see if the slide is bulged. I'd check the frame too as it's made of much weaker material.

Blown range pick up brass? Gotta be a lesson there somewhere.

-- Chuck
Well said sir....

·
Registered
1997 USP 9mm Full Size, too many upgrades to list.
610 Posts
Yeah I'd be worried about the slide and frame more than the extractor. The extractor itself is pretty isolated in the slide, so I don't see it causing other problems down the line.

-Sean

Typoed on my iPhone.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
curiously, there's not even a scratch on the frame. looks brand new. no bulge in the slide and the chamber is smooth, shiny and perfectly shaped. if it vented with a strong enough force to bend the extractor, i wonder how it didn't hurt the frame... this thing is a gift from God..

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Can't really straighten it . . .
THIS ^

As GT said, it is MIM. You will probably weaken it, and very likely break it by trying to straighten it. The only possible downside to using it the way it is, is the fact that you now have less extractor-spring-pressure since the distance between the slide and the extractor is now greater where the spring sits than it used to be. The fact that it stills works in this condition is a testament to the greatness of HK pistols, but you do really need to order a new extractor for it. I'm sure any one of us can mail you an extractor without too much trouble.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
curiously, there's not even a scratch on the frame. looks brand new. no bulge in the slide and the chamber is smooth, shiny and perfectly shaped. if it vented with a strong enough force to bend the extractor, i wonder how it didn't hurt the frame... this thing is a gift from God..
The piece that blew out of the cartridge case was probably positioned where the extractor claw was touching. The reason that your frame survived without damage is because the brass was just barely strong enough that most of the force from the blast went down the barrel. If that load had been just slightly hotter, or if the brass had been just slightly weaker, you would have cracked your grip frame and blown out the mag onto the ground.

You were VERY fortunate this time around.

·
Registered
854 Posts
The piece that blew out of the cartridge case was probably positioned where the extractor claw was touching. The reason that your frame survived without damage is because the brass was just barely strong enough that most of the force from the blast went down the barrel. If that load had been just slightly hotter, or if the brass had been just slightly weaker, you would have cracked your grip frame and blown out the mag onto the ground.

You were VERY fortunate this time around.

Or if it had been a Glock you likely would have lost a thumb...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts