HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me a close estimate regarding the muzzel velocity and muzzel energy (ftlbs) of a 147 gr. projectile (south african R1M1 ball) fired from a vector V-51 at muzzel, 100m and 200m range? As close as I can estimate it should be in general ballpark of a 7.62x39 rd fired from a standard AK-47 which would make the V-51 a very capable weapon for CQC particularly with a shorty stock

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
V-51 Ballistics

Yes I do know that it's muzzle not muzzel :65: (hears old english teacher saying ALLWAYS SPELL CHECK!!!)

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have always heard the veleocity is close to 2000 ft/sec.

I do not believe there is any real CQC application or any capibility for a HK51.
It is a fun gun and not much else.

Everytime I shoot mine it reminds me of shooting slugs out of my shot gun.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I don't have any specific numbers, but my V51 packs a real wollop, , much stiffer than any 7.62x39 that I have fired..

Bill

·
Registered
62 Posts
See if you can find some info on .308 rounds fired from shorter barrels like a Thompson Contender. I would guess that it be more energy that a 7.62x39 round at muzzle, 100 yrds, etc.

It would be interesting to see the comparision.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have always heard the veleocity is close to 2000 ft/sec.

I do not believe there is any real CQC application or any capibility for a HK51.
It is a fun gun and not much else.

Everytime I shoot mine it reminds me of shooting slugs out of my shot gun.

hmmm, a 165 gr bullet traveling at 2,000 ft/sec.......I think it could do a job on just about anybody and give then fact that it is such a compact gun (almost same size to MP5) I would give it a go to safe my skin in a CQB situation. It would definently penentrate a wall...........

My Vollmer is accurate out to about 300M and I can hit fairly easy on a 3ft x 3ft target. I have played with tracer ammo at the range and it was pretty neat watching the tracer go straight from muzzle to target..... I have hit propane tanks (barbeque size) at 200M and it was no problem.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
V-51 Ballistic information

As to whether or not the V-51 is a capable CQC option I tend to agree with hkinac, any weapon with a footprint of no more than 23`in. ,weighing only 7 lbs and that can throw a 165 gr projectile out at + 2000 fps with a minimum of 1400 ftlbs of energy from the muzzle is an effective man stopper in my book, very much a useful CQC option!
The issues of recoil, muzzle flash, report and short and long distance engagements can all be compensated for with modifications to the main platform (i.e. magna port, full or collapsible stock, suppressor can, hornaday TAP ammunition, a laser / tac light combo, and a quality tactical scope) Sgt Major always said "their aint no problem that cant be solved, just throw enough money at it" but how much is your life worth to you ?
The question for me is can the basic weapon reliably produce a one or two shot kill at close range without the need to spray the entire room down with 9mm or .45 slugs in the hope that enough of them will strike the target in order to achive an effective kill ? I belive the V-51 properly configured for the specific mission intended can be more than just an expesive toy.
Now if anyone can provide some hard real world data concerning the ballistics of this weapon ammunition combination that would be great !!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Maybe that is the excuse I need to use to finally buy a chronograh!?!?!?! hehehehehh

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here's what my Oehler 35P with 4' long sky screens showed when I shot the following 5-shot groups through it from my Vector V-51 SBR.

Weather was 55 degrees and sunny:

Hirtenberger Surplus

Mean - 2,084 fps
SD - 27 fps
ES - 70 fps

Argentinian Surplus

Mean - 2,171 fps (it definitely *felt* hotter as well!)
SD - 25 fps
ES - 65 fps

HTH,
Jeff

·
Registered
376 Posts
Here's what my Oehler 35P with 4' long sky screens showed when I shot the following 5-shot groups through it from my Vector V-51 SBR.

Weather was 55 degrees and sunny:

Hirtenberger Surplus

Mean - 2,084 fps
SD - 27 fps
ES - 70 fps

Argentinian Surplus

Mean - 2,171 fps (it definitely *felt* hotter as well!)
SD - 25 fps
ES - 65 fps

HTH,
Jeff
Jeff, Thank you for the Chrono report on the the V51. Can you tell me the Bullet weight on the Hirtenberger and Argentinian surplus ammo. Looks like like a 51 build is my next project.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Here's info listed in the test report contained in the May, 2006 issue of Small Arms Review:

Portugese M1A2 Ball: 2,056 fps
Wolf 150-gr FMJ Ball: 1,933 fps
Wolf Gold a50-gr SP: 1,944 fps
Lake City M118 Special Ball: 1,923 fps

Hope this helps-AKATTACK

Edited to add: the rifle used to collect this info was a Vector V51 SBR. SAR gave it a "thumbs up"!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fragmentation Velocity ?

I'm not real sure but I don't think the .308/7.62 fragments like the 5.56 /.223. I belive the slug stay's pretty much intact, but has anybody any information on this ? It would be very interesting information in detail if possable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts